Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Reevaluation--ptsd--100%iu

Rate this question

tanker31

Question

I am new to hadit, but have been visiting the site for a few weeks now. Hope I am posting properly. Here Is the condenced verson. After many years of refusing to acknoledge my PTSD symptons, I decided to contact the VA. I applied for service connected disabilities for PTSD, Hearing loss, and Tinnitus on Jan.10,05. On August 26, 05 I was awarded S.C disability for PTSD ( 50% ), and Tinnitus ( 10% ). Total disability rating by VA @ 60%. Since I have not been able to hold a job for any length of time due to PTSD, and had been unemployeed for over a year, I filed and completed forms 21-4192, and 21-8940. On October 28, 2005 I received notification stating " WE GRANTED ENTITLEMENT TO THE 100% RATE EFFECTIVE JAN. 10, 05 BECAUES ARE UNABLE TO WORK DUE TOYOR SERVICE CONNECTED DISABILITY/DISABILITIES". " AN EXAMINATION WILL BE SCHEDULED AT A FUTURE DATE TO EVALUATE THE SEVERITY OF YOUR DISABILITY/DISABILITIES AS YOR CONDITION MAY CHANGE". I checked with the DVA, and it shows that I am scheduled for reevaluation exam for July 06. I am already freeking out. Providing the stressor information/evidence was extreemly upsetting and painful, as was the C&P exam. Can anything be done to prevent going through this experience again? Can I get to perminate and total prior to the reevaluation? Does age play a factor?( I will be 57 by the next reevaluation) Need suggestions.

• Answers 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Tanker

If you have been TDIU for at least one year that should be enough for P&T especially since you are a RVN vet. It is hard for us 50 something guys just to start over and get decent employment and the VA seems to understand this to an extent. I got P&T after a year of IU but I had to badger them about it with evidence and an IMO.

Hi Tanker, thanks for the reply. Our stories are similar-me, 27 jobs, purple heart, verifiable stressor letters, etc. What is a great idea, and I didn't do, is using Social Sec. records for proof of all the jobs. How did your ptsd c&p go? Mine wrote me up as ptsd, mdd, angry, a loner, etc. and then gave me a GAF of 69. Pete

Comrades,

I had my re-eval C&P for PTSD last Tuesday.

I'm currently TDIU with P&T.

Since I still Have a claim in for an earlier effective date for the PTSD and several other similar issues I was stressing out rather badly before the exam.

I figure the RO, they scheduled the C&P, is looking for another report that they can re-write to suit their latest round of hell for me.

You know, fraud-give the money back and go to jail.

While this could still be the case, the C&P examiner was more optimistic.

He said that he had never met any vet who had lost or had their ratings reduced as the result of a re-evaluation C&P for PTSD.

Actually, he has never known of any vet who has lost anything after the original PTSD award.

He does about 10 examinations a day for the C&P service.

Been doing this for 6 years that I am aware of.

My PTSD award with TDIU and P&T was not granted by the RO.

Washington granted the claim after a short review.

I figure the RO is pissed-off at ME after holding me off for 25 years just to have Washington shove my grant down their collective throats.

Certain vets are singled out by their RO AND the vet's paid-for, Congressionally chartered and sponsored national representative to NOT EVER receive their earned disability benefits.

I'm one.

The RO has absolutely nothing to lose by messing with me.

I await the results.

sledge

• HadIt.com Elder

Tom

If you are P&T for PTSD I don't understand how the VA could re-evaluate you for PTST. What was the basis for the re-evaluation. I am TDIU P&T and I sure hope I don't get any sort of re-evaluation.

• HadIt.com Elder
Comrades,

I had my re-eval C&P for PTSD last Tuesday.

I'm currently TDIU with P&T.

Since I still Have a claim in for an earlier effective date for the PTSD and several other similar issues I was stressing out rather badly before the exam.

I figure the RO, they scheduled the C&P, is looking for another report that they can re-write to suit their latest round of hell for me.

You know, fraud-give the money back and go to jail.

While this could still be the case, the C&P examiner was more optimistic.

He said that he had never met any vet who had lost or had their ratings reduced as the result of a re-evaluation C&P for PTSD.

Actually, he has never known of any vet who has lost anything after the original PTSD award.

He does about 10 examinations a day for the C&P service.

Been doing this for 6 years that I am aware of.

My PTSD award with TDIU and P&T was not granted by the RO.

Washington granted the claim after a short review.

I figure the RO is pissed-off at ME after holding me off for 25 years just to have Washington shove my grant down their collective throats.

Certain vets are singled out by their RO AND the vet's paid-for, Congressionally chartered and sponsored national representative to NOT EVER receive their earned disability benefits.

I'm one.

The RO has absolutely nothing to lose by messing with me.

I await the results.

sledge

Sledge, This is real good news for you! I was awarded 100% TDIU/PTSD in 1999. I filed for an earlier effective date 18 months ago. RO denied and I appealed with an NOD. Haven't heard anything in 9 months. Will prolly be issued another C&P Exam as well. My armor is soooo heavy: no rest for the weary?! Happy Holidays! ~Wings

Edited by Wings

Unfortunately, there isn't much you can do to get rid of the appointment and, believe me, I know how you feel about future exams. Age can effect your rating and may help you get P&T on your next evaluation, but you will still need to attend the one scheduled for you '06.

The only thing I can suggest is that you start seeing a civilian psychiatrist, even if it is out of pocket costs. You can submit your civilian doctor's evaluation in place of the C&P provided it is at least as complete as a C&P would be. Also, the VA looks favorably on treating doctor's opinions over one time C&Ps. The advantage of a civilian doctor is that you can shop around for one that you feel best represents your claim and you can work with the doctor in presenting a solid evaluation when the time comes (IE - read over the evaluation first and suggest corrections BEFORE you give it to the RO).

As long as your civilian doctor says you have not improved and that you are still unemployable, there is almost nothing the RO can do to lower you.

P.S. - It is still difficult for the RO to lower your rating even if you do not get a civilian doctor. In essence, if you do NOT work between now and your next C&P they cannot lower your rating unless you make it painfully clear that you are much better and capable of working. The regulations that govern TDIU specify that they must prove that you are able to work "under normal life conditions"...this means that you must prove you can work (IE - if you're not working how can they prove you can work?) WITHOUT the need of medications or therapy (IE - normal life conditions).

I know it's hard to face and no one can gurantee your rating, but you are fairly safe with a TDIU for the reasons I mentioned above (it's actually better then a 100% scheduler rating in most cases).

P.P.S. - It is also wise, in my opinion, to ask for an increase when you go for your next C&P. Present a solid case for an increase and the RO will be more willing to "settle" on the old rating. Essentially, you put them on the defensive when you ask for an increase and divert attention from your existing claim.

Jay,

Thanks for your response. One question regarding the " P.P.S. ". You state "ask for an increase when you go for your next C&P. Present a solid case etc... ". Are you saying ask for the increase VERBABLY during the reevaluation and state your case VERBABLY? or is there a form to submitt at that time? Have you actualy done this?

Thanks,

Tanker 31