Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

I Hope That This Will Help Someone Else

Rate this question

jamescripps2

Question

Just a little research work that I did in relation to the Agent Orange Committee, hope it helps someone else. Note pages 49 & 50. I worked as a game warden at Fort Gordon in close association with the Forestry Division. 1967-1969. My diseases are chloracne, diabetes, heart failure etc.

http://www.dod.mil/pubs/foi/reading_room/T...lHerbicides.pdf

Site 21

Fort Chaffee, Fort Smith, Arkansas

Apalachicola National Forest, Sopchoppy, Florida

Date → July 1967 – October 1967

Activity Description: During the period December 1966 to October 1967, the

newly named “Plant Science Laboratories” at Fort Detrick initiated a comprehensive

short-term project to evaluate desiccants and herbicidal mixtures as rapid-acting

defoliants. The objectives of this study were to evaluate rapid-acting desiccants as

defoliants and to assess the defoliation response of woody vegetation to mixtures of

herbicides and/or desiccants. The criteria for assessment was based principally on

rapidity of action, but included other features such as safety and ease of handling,

compatibility with dissemination systems, and low toxicity to man and wildlife.

The approach to the objective of an improved rapid-acting defoliant involved three

phases: (1) evaluation of commercially available rapid desiccants or contact herbicides;

(2) evaluation of improved formulations of rapid desiccants developed under industry

contacts and by in-house effort; (3) development and evaluation of desiccant-herbicide

mixtures containing the rapid defoliant characteristics with the sustained long-term

effects of Orange and other Tactical Herbicides. The project required an immediate

access to a diversity of woody vegetation. Accordingly, Fort Detrick arranged for test

locations at Fort Gordon near Augusta, Georgia; Fort Chaffee near Fort Smith, Arkansas,

and Apalachicola National Forest near Sopchoppy, Florida.

The Georgia site was described as a warm temperate, humid, moderate rainfall climate

with deep, well-drained sands in rolling topography. The vegetation type was an oakhickory-

pine forest. The Arkansas site was described as a temperate continental,

moderate rainfall climate with fine sandy loam soils in rolling topography. The

vegetation type was an oak-hickory forest. The Apalachicola National Forest site was

described as a subtropical, humid, moderate precipitation climate with sandy soils in a

flat poorly drained topography. The vegetation type was described as a Southern mixed

forest. All sites were selected because of their isolation from any local human

populations, e.g., in Florida, the site was a ridge located in a swamp forest.

Assessment: The desiccants selected for evaluation included Herbicide Blue (a

tactical herbicide), and the commercial desiccants diquat, paraquat, dinitrobutylphenol

(DNBP), pentachlorophenol (PCP), hexachloroacetone (HCA), and monosodium

methanearsonate (MSMA), pentachloro-pentenoic acid (AP-20), endothall, and various

mixed formulations of these desiccants. The systemic herbicides included the two tactical

herbicides Orange and White; the potassium salt, triisopropanolamine salts, and the

isooctyl ester of picloram; and, a ethylhexyl ester of 2,4,5-T mixed with HCA. Mixtures

of propanil, nitrophenol, linuron, and silvex were also evaluated. All chemicals were

furnished by Fort Detrick.

Aerial application at these three sites were made with a Bell G-2 helicopter equipped with

two 40-gallon tanks and a 26-foot boom with 6-inch nozzle positions adaptable for

volume deliveries of 3, 6, or 10 gallons per acre in a 50-foot swath. Spray equipment,

pilot, and support were furnished under contract with Allied Helicopter Service of Tulsa,

Oklahoma. Aerial applications were made on duplicate 3-acre plots, 200 by 660 feet in

dimension. A sampling and evaluation trail was established in each plot on a diagonal

beginning at 100 feet from one corner. Major species were marked along 500 feet of this

transect and individual plants were identified by combinations of colored plastic ribbons.

A minimum of 10 individuals of each species was marked unless fewer were present.

Evaluations were made at 1-, 5-, 10-, 30-, and 60-day intervals by experienced Fort

Detrick personnel. At each evaluation period the identical marked individuals of the

major species were rated for defoliation and desiccation. At each location, approximately

475 gallons (~10 drums) of Herbicide Blue, 95 gallons (~2 drums) of Herbicide Orange,

and 6 gallons of Herbicide White were expended.

The assistance of Department of Army forestry personnel at Fort Gordon, Fort Chaffee,

and the 3rd and 4th Army Headquarters were acknowledged in the report for their support

in the selection and preparation of sites in Georgia and Arkansas. The land and facilities

for the Florida tests were provided by the Supervisor, Apalachicola National Forest,

Tallahassee, Florida. Personnel from the Physical Sciences Division, Fort Detrick

assisted in the development of formulations and preparations of field test mixtures. They

also provided the data on the physical characteristics of the candidate tactical defoliants

and mixtures.

Sources: Darrow RA, Frank JR, Martin JW, Demaree, KD, Creager RA (1971): Field

Evaluation of Desiccants and Herbicide Mixtures as Rapid Defoliants. Technical Report

114, Plant Sciences Laboratories, Fort Detrick, Frederick, Maryland. Document

unclassified but subject to special export control. Available from the Defense

Documentation Center, Accession Number AD 880685.

Pass it along, it is new information.

• Answers 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Yes- Ranch hand did the initial spraying testing in 1962 at night-

but they had to illuminate the jungle targets with flares-

successive testing like this brought in fire power from the VC who knew where they were due to the flares-I think the major use of AO in Nam was all done in daylight.

There have been other random night time uses of AO but the fact that a plane was needed higher than the AO plane for the dropping of the flares- gave the EN two aerial targets instead of one-

GRADUATE ! Nov 2nd 2007 American Military University !

When thousands of Americans faced annihilation in the 1800s Chief

Osceola's response to his people, the Seminoles, was

simply "They(the US Army)have guns, but so do we."

Sameo to us -They (VA) have 38 CFR ,38 USC, and M21-1- but so do we.

My exposure was at Fort Gordon GA. I have a mound of direct exposure evidence. I have all of the required medical opinions and the required nexus. According to the forum on military.com,( see link below) all cases of herbicide exposure outside Vietnam have been frozen.

I am not an in country,"boots on the ground" veteran, but if you will read my original posted information below, concerning the use of AO outside Vietnam at Fort Gordon, and then take into consideration my job discription, "A game warden ordered to work in close relation with the Forestry Division", you begin to see the implications of my claim. Also keep in mind, that was not the only event of use of AO at Fort Gordon. I think my case will set a presedence inside CONUS and that is what makes it so difficult.

The chloracne is shiwn within the one year requirement for that disease. we are not talking about a new case of chloracne, but a case of where I have lived with the disease for more than 40 years as shown by my evidence in the case. As far as I know, there has been no change in the chloracne regs. The disease is noted on my separation exam.

CFR 38 303b; " When a chronic disease is shown in service, manafestations of the condition at any later date, however remote, are service connected unless clearly attributable to intercurrent causes.

Now how is the VA going to get around that one? There is only one way, and that is delay-delay-delay-, and then, remand- remand- remand-, and then years down the road comes the anouncement at the BVA, "We are sorry to say that the veteran has died and therefore his case has died with him"................

http://forums.military.com/eve/forums/a/tp...m/5810059161001

Go to the us government web site, www.va.gov, chose BVA decisions. Next type in the search box, DOD herbicide. You will discover that out of the 164 cases heard before the BVA no favorable decision has been reached in a claim for herbicide exposure outside Vietnam! I do however remember hearing that there were a few cases, but a very few, won in connection with exposure in Korea, Thailand, and one in Guam. There seems to be no benefit of doubt given under any circumstances, it seems to require strict proof, and that is how this nonadvesarial process is workingout????

Yes Vets have won for AO in Korea, I think one in Guam and maybe the Okinawa vet there won by now-I posted these cases at hadit available under the search.

AO outside of Nam and Korea DMZ cases can only be won with absolute proven exposure-

I have been involved in the Blue Water AO issue for a long time- these vets- completely exposed to dioxin-in the Pacific during the War -are still on hold until the Federal Court decides Haas V. VA.-

Haas-if a favorable decision comes from the high court - will start the impetus for all other vets exposed to AO outside Vietnam.It wont happen overnight though-

BWVs are getting well organized.

Latest on Haas -the High court has asked CAVC for Everything to do with Haas V Nickolson-a good sign I hope-

GRADUATE ! Nov 2nd 2007 American Military University !

When thousands of Americans faced annihilation in the 1800s Chief

Osceola's response to his people, the Seminoles, was

simply "They(the US Army)have guns, but so do we."

Sameo to us -They (VA) have 38 CFR ,38 USC, and M21-1- but so do we.

So much for accountability! :blink: B)

Comments: Department of Veterans Affairs

Report ----http://www.koreanwar.org/html/units/dmz/dmz_60_69.htm?set=150 cut and paste link

REPORT TO TO SECRETARY OF THE DEPARTMENT OF VETERANS AFFAIRS

ON THE ASSOCIATION BETWEEN ADVERSE HEALTH EFFECTS

AND EXPOSURE TO AGENT ORANGE

CLASSIFIED CONFIDENTIAL STATUS (1)

As Reported by Special Assistant

Admiral E.R. Zumwalt, Jr.

May 5, 1990

NOT FOR PUBLICATION AND

RELEASE TO THE GENERAL PUBLIC

continue on down to page 5

final report on Ranch Hand: Herbicide Operations in SEA, July 1979. According to Dr. Clary:

When we (military scientists) initiated the herbicide program in the 1960s, we were aware of the potential for damage due to dioxin contamination in the herbicide. We were even aware that the military6 formulation had a higher dioxin concentration than the civilian version due to the lower cost and speed of manufacture. However, because the material was to be used on the enemy, none of us were overly concerned. We never considered a scenario in which. our own personnel would become contaminated with the herbicide. And, if we had, we would have expected our own government to give assistance to veterans so contaminated.

See also notes 13, 73-75 and accompanying text infra for additional information of the manufacturers awareness of the toxicity of Agent Orange.

Combat units, such as the Brown Water Navy, frequently conducted "unofficial" sprayings of Agent Orange obtained from out of channel, and thus unrecorded sources. Additionally, as Commander, U.S. Naval Forces, Vietnam, I was aware that Agent Orange issued to Allied forces was frequently used on unrecorded missions.

If I had a blue water case I would consider this info as being a piece of gold. Just think of the implications and posibilities.