Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

My Claim Is Now At Appeals Team!

Rate this question

bm6546

Question

I checked about 2 weeks ago on the 800 number and was told my claim was at Ratings.

Last week I received an IRIS e-mail that said my claim is currently being processed at the Appeals Team. Can anyone tell me what the difference is between the Ratings and the Appeals Team. This whole process is driving me more crazy and making me nuts,LOL. Maybe I should file a claim against the VA for making me crazy with their BS. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance, Brian

I've waited this long and I'm not giving up....NEVER!!

• Answers 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

I checked about 2 weeks ago on the 800 number and was told my claim was at Ratings.

Last week I received an IRIS e-mail that said my claim is currently being processed at the Appeals Team. Can anyone tell me what the difference is between the Ratings and the Appeals Team. This whole process is driving me more crazy and making me nuts,LOL. Maybe I should file a claim against the VA for making me crazy with their BS. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance, Brian

Brian

Seems it could be the same thing that happened to me. Do you have an appeal at the same time you have a new claim in? Remember you only have one c file it could be getting bounced around. Hey if we could file a claim for the VA makeing us nuts I be 300 percent

Good Luck

Jim

Delay, Delay, Delay another thousand Vets will die today. This has been almost a 9 year trip thru the VA maze.

Jim

My AO death claim -as I mentioned here the other day-filed in Feb 2003-was in and out of rating board to include the appeals team 21 times I think I counted -since January 2006.

The Appeals Team can include the DRO, supervisors and even the VSM as I understand it-

Now my claim is with a "Supervisor" in the appeals team-

and the 800 # rep acted like whoop tee doooo -but all it means to me is I am not in the PAP yet.

(Paper airplane pile)

GRADUATE ! Nov 2nd 2007 American Military University !

When thousands of Americans faced annihilation in the 1800s Chief

Osceola's response to his people, the Seminoles, was

simply "They(the US Army)have guns, but so do we."

Sameo to us -They (VA) have 38 CFR ,38 USC, and M21-1- but so do we.

• HadIt.com Elder
My AO death claim -as I mentioned here the other day-filed in Feb 2003-was in and out of rating board to include the appeals team 21 times I think I counted -since January 2006.

The Appeals Team can include the DRO, supervisors and even the VSM as I understand it-

Now my claim is with a "Supervisor" in the appeals team-

and the 800 # rep acted like whoop tee doooo -but all it means to me is I am not in the PAP yet.

(Paper airplane pile)

Berta,

I like that sense of humor that you have managed to keep through out all of this. I envy you.!

Paper Airplanes flying all over the VA offices.

Betty

Do you have an appeal ongoing? If not then it is hard to understand why the appeals team would have requested your file. If you do not have an appeal then I would call the 1800 number again and see what they say. Either the one who told you its at the raters or the one who said its at the appeals team is wrong.

Yes I have an appeal with the VA. They recently turned down my request for compensation for my SC heart condition. My vet rep went ahead and filed for anxiety, depression and PTSD secondary to my heart attack over 2 years ago. Would that be 2 different claims or 1 claim with an appeal? I have no idea. I rely on what she is doing, seems to know what she is doing.

Thanks, Brian

I've waited this long and I'm not giving up....NEVER!!

An appeal goes up to the Appeal determination TEAM and they are in essence like "Mom"and between two siblings per se (Veteran and VA RO). They determine after all the evidence and statements what is "JUST". The appeals then determines did the VARO do it's job properly and correctly or did they overlook something and make an error, or is the communication of evidence being done correctly. The Appeals department does not have the authority to change your rating in the SYSTEM, or the amounts. What happens is the APPEALS team has the authority to direct, or dictate to the VARO to correct the error. Once the Appeal team determines who is correct (in your NOD-Disagreement), if the claim has been done correctly they will direct the veteran and the VARO that the prior determination is Correct and Justified, no action is needed. If the Appeals team determines that the VARO made an error they will contact both parties (VARO and Veteran) that the error was made and (I can't think of the term used) but they will by their authority direct the Rating Board at your local VARO to correct the error and make the correct changes. It can in some cases go back and forth between the VBA and VARO Rating Board several times IF They are asking the VBA for more "direction" on how to correct the error. Sometimes this creates a hang up. If this IS happening (I don't individually recommend it to be used often) you can call on "Dad" (Congress Representation) to ask the VARO and VBA to inquire on the status and request (again by Congressional Inquiry) to expedite the process. In essence it is like "tattling" per se. The VA has certain deadlines they are imposed to meet when a Congressional Inquiry is done. I believe it is 30 days. At least you will get your answer you are requesting. However, understand that during the "Congressional Inquiry" your file comes out of (both hands of the VARO and VBA) and goes to a specialized team to review your folder and "ANSWER" the Congressional Inquiry. Therefore if you ask this and the determination is NOT Complete you may have delayed your answer for 30 days. Does this help?

-Spike-

Vet Advocate

--------------