Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Claims Advice Please!

Rate this question

OIF 03

Question

I just left a message in success stories about my VA rep leaving me a voice mail stating that he heard that I was awarded 50% for my PTSD claim that was originally denied on 1/2008. My questions are do they contact my rep first to give him this news?? He will not be in the office until Tuesday so I can't confirm until then. My second question is I was denied for tinitus and back pain initially with the PTSD. Should I file a NOD on both or just send them additional materials like I did for the PTSD??? Lastly, should I file a NOD for a higher PTSD percentage.

Thanks,

OIF 03

• Answers 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

I got a phone call from the DAV and a letter from them shortly after that about my 50% which, like yours, had first been denied. They warn you that it is an "unoffical" notification since your claim has to be "promlugated" (whatever that means - solidfied in some legal sense, I think) before the award is official. Then another week of so passed and I got the Decision and then the pay and within a month, the back pay.

Sounds like you are in the home stetch. Keep us posted on how it plays out.

TS Snave

OK, this is my first post on here so cut me a little bit of slack.

To answer your questions as best as I can... First, yes, your rep will most likely find out before you if you are either granted or denied on your claim. Second, yes and no. If you file an NOD, be sure to ask for the DRO Review. You should also send your additional evidence for the DRO (Decision Review Officer) to review. The DRO can overturn a denial, and grant benefits. If the DRO denies your claim once again you can move to a Travel Board Hearing or even a personal hearing with tha DRO to state your case. If that still does not help then you can fight on to BVA (Board of Veterans Appeals).

Basically, this can have your claim tied up for years. You have to perfect certain items for your appeal to even stick in the first place.

Your other option is just to simply re-open your claim. Send in something saying that you would like to re-open your claims, and submit your supporting evidence. This can take as long as it took the first time you filed. One word of STRONG advice... Make a copy of what you have (evidence, etc.). It can be lost by the VA.

How do I know any of this? I am a disabled veteran, and I work for the VA. In the Appeals section to be exact. I used to process initial claims and re-opened claims for compensation, pension, DIC, etc. I have seen a lot, and I can offer quite a bit in the way of advice and such.

Good luck with your claim. If I can help let me know. I may be slow to get back to you, but I will get back to you.

• HadIt.com Elder

Meddac:

Welcome to Hadit and an offer to help. I hope that you will understand that you might get some rough comments from Veterans who are mad at VA but you can be a big help to all working a claim with your insight into what works and from your post I think that you can help a lot of Veterans.

So I ask all to give Meddac a nice welcome and see what he has to say.

Pete

I appreciate the welcome, Pete. I understand that a lot of Vets have a lot of "not so nice" things to say about the VA. I hope to be able to help in any way possible. I am willing to offer anything that I can that will help Vets to better understand what is going on, and things like that.

I won't get into any "matches" on here, and I won't reply to anyone that wants to get into one.

I welcome any questions. I have not "seen it all", but a lot of people would probably be amazed at what I have seen, and what I do see on a daily basis.

Thanks

OK, this is my first post on here so cut me a little bit of slack.

To answer your questions as best as I can... First, yes, your rep will most likely find out before you if you are either granted or denied on your claim. Second, yes and no. If you file an NOD, be sure to ask for the DRO Review. You should also send your additional evidence for the DRO (Decision Review Officer) to review. The DRO can overturn a denial, and grant benefits. If the DRO denies your claim once again you can move to a Travel Board Hearing or even a personal hearing with tha DRO to state your case. If that still does not help then you can fight on to BVA (Board of Veterans Appeals).

Basically, this can have your claim tied up for years. You have to perfect certain items for your appeal to even stick in the first place.

Your other option is just to simply re-open your claim. Send in something saying that you would like to re-open your claims, and submit your supporting evidence. This can take as long as it took the first time you filed. One word of STRONG advice... Make a copy of what you have (evidence, etc.). It can be lost by the VA.

How do I know any of this? I am a disabled veteran, and I work for the VA. In the Appeals section to be exact. I used to process initial claims and re-opened claims for compensation, pension, DIC, etc. I have seen a lot, and I can offer quite a bit in the way of advice and such.

Good luck with your claim. If I can help let me know. I may be slow to get back to you, but I will get back to you.

Thanks Meddac,

I will definitely use your help on the other part of my claim.

OIF 03