Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 
Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Vista Love It Or Leave It?

Guest Dataman

Guest Dataman

Just some info, maby somone will find it useful!

I replaced my 2+ year old PC (X2 4800, 2gRam, DVD, XP Pro) with Intel CD2 System.

Antec Solo Case – FREE – Bought Nov Sale Newegg (rebate)

DDR2 4GB PC6400 DUAL AData – 2 Sets - $140 – Bought Outpost

Mwave:

LOGITECH cordless desktop $33.00

MICROSOFT Windows vista 64bit home premium $99.75

GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3L $88.75

INTEL Core 2 Duo e8400 (BX80570E8400) $211.00

Newegg:

EVGA 512-P3-N801-AR GeForce 8800GT 512MB $239.00

SeaSonic SS-500ES ATX12V 2.2 / $69.99

Rosewill RCR-102 52-in-1 USB 2.0 $11.99

Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD7500AAKS 750GB 7200 RPM $154.99

SAMSUNG 20X DVD±R DVD Burner Black SATA Model SH-S203B $28.99

ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 7 Pro $26.99

Well the Antec case was nice, but the PS switch did not work at 1st. Had to take it out of the case and short the pins (worked). Then exercised the switch and now it works 100%.

Forgot to setup AHCI Mode in BIOS. So I did the Registry Edit and changed the DWORD to enable Sata Boot Drives. This caused bios to search for the drives (Normal) slowing down the PC boot. I switched back

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922976

On Vista:

Well some old stuff I used (games) that utilized IPX. Well they don't work in Vista 64. No IPX Support. I got Vista Home Premium so MS Virtual PC does not work. I guess I will just not play those anymore.

IE 64. No Flash Player support. Have to use IE 32 (little slower)

So far no major problems with programs. All WinXP stuff works great (Office Xp, Games etc).

Keyboard I got has no "Scroll Lock". One game I use (F22 3) uses it to enable Sidewinder Uncage. Oh well use the Radar and pass the lock on fire. More stealthy anyway.

Program I use for Monitoring Temps does not work (Core Temp). Switched to HW Monotor by www.cpuid.com

Hardware: The CPU runs very well at 3.6g. Change the memory to 400 (from 333) and the divider to 2 (from 2.4). Keeps meory default. No voltage change. Temps of 45c maxed out! Very quiet PS and system.

Nice upgrade from 2.4 to 3.6g (overclocked). Working with 8g Of memory in Photoshop CS3 is big Bonus!!!!

If you have no really old applicatons I cannot see any reason not to switch to Vista 64 on New Hardware (I don't recommend upgrading old HW).

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Founder

hated it, sold all my pc's and bought a mac, i've never been happier i've been on pc's since the late 80's but i love my mac, i bought the extended warranty, for me this is a good choice. i've had to call them a couple of times once i got disconnected and get this they called me back in just a few minutes, now that impressed me. also i got some one on one training but waiting for my niece to take me.

i agree with you completely on not upgrading old hardware i've done both came new on a machine and installed on a machine that was about a year old, trouble with that, but the one out of the box worked well for me for awhile.

i used

vista

vista business

vista premium

vista ultimaticum

all previous versions since the beginning i started with dos, i just had nothing but problems, but so far with the mac no day after day problems, strange crashes and various other things.

i was a dedicated windows person, but not anymore

Tbird

Founder HadIt.com Veteran To Veteran LLC - Founded Jan 20, 1997

HadIt.com Veteran To Veteran | Community Forum | RallyPointFaceBook | LinkedInAbout Me

Time Dedicated to HadIt.com Veterans and my brothers and sisters: 65,700 - 109,500 Hours Over Thirty Years

diary-a-mad-sailor-signature-banner.png

I am writing my memoirs and would love it if you could help a shipmate out and look at it.

I've had a few challenges, perhaps the same as you. I relate them here to demonstrate that we can learn, overcome, and find purpose in life.

The stories can be harrowing to read; they were challenging to live. Remember that each story taught me something I would need once I found my purpose, and my purpose was and is HadIt.com Veterans.

Agreed old hardware should be now where near Vista.

We have 13 systems in the house.

9 older model systems running everything from linux to win xp. Would never think of putting Vista on them.

4 new systems all running Vista of one type or another.

Vista itself isn't to bad. Actually I have had almost no crashes or BSD since I have used Vista.

As for MAC, I have seen them, tried them, seen people use them, but never could bring myself to own one.

Most people I know that use a MAC do some form of publishing.

Donewsome

• In Memoriam

You must have PCI express . Geforce tops out at about 7200 for AGP. I changed my Sata Raid boot in the bios, and the Sata boot really did slow down the boot.

I tried the Photoshop CS3 demo on my 2 Gigs memory @ 2.4 GHz. It did run slow. You could be a news caster if you wanted with that set up.

Just not ready for the Vista change yet.

Stretch

Just readin the mail

Excerpt from the 'Declaration of Independence'

We have appealed to their native justice and magnanimity, and we have conjured them by the ties of our common kindred to disavow these usurpations, which, would inevitably interrupt our connections and correspondence. They too have been deaf to the voice of justice and of consanguinity

Guest Dataman

Yes PCIe is the Graphics Standard. AGP has been dead for a long long time. 2 years at least. (that's long time in computers).

I found somone who wanted my old one easily enough.

Yes CS3 likes memory. More the better. It's pretty cheap nowdays. 8g for 152 shipped was nice. Of course no room to upgrade on the MB or chipset. But who cares?