Ads Keep HadIt.com Online. Consider Turning Off Ad Blockers to Keep HadIt.com Online! ×

C&p

david walker

Question

Hello all,

I am currently rated at 20% for DDD cervical spine. I filed a request to reconsider and added more claims:

Chronic pain, migraines, anxiety/panic disorder, gastriontestinal problems, radiculopahy (both arms), tendonitis (elbow & shoulder), post traumatic arthritis (wrist), lumbar/thoracic back pain, arthritis of cervical spine & neck scar. All have been documented and linked together. I received a letter stating I have 3 C&P's scheduled next month. I know one is for the anxiety/panic disorder, but I'm clueless for the other 2. I called and they refused to discuss it on the phone. Whats the big deal??? Does anyone have an idea what exams they may be going to use? You help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

• Answers 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

14 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

David:

Hang in there I am sure your other C&P's relate to your other problems. How long have you had panic disorder?

• HadIt.com Elder

One good thing about it is that you can have remission for periods of time and that you are not crazy and there are others who suffer with it. If you get good treatment you can do a lot of stuff. Untreated it will become a real nightmare.

Good luck to you I have had mine since June 11th 1969.

I believe the VA must inform you of what, exactly, they are giving you a C&P for. I would take a harder stance on the matter if I were you....allowing them to strong arm vets helps no one. You have a right to prepare for your C&P and gather any evidence to support your claim.

• HadIt.com Elder

The question is, who did you call?

The VAMC will usually be able to tell you who you will be seeing, and from that you can usually figure out what you are being examined before. Of course, if the a sending you to a contract outfit, then it's anybodies guess.

the VA doesn't always tell you about a c&p exam. I got a letter in the mail 2 years ago, that I had to go in and see a mental health Doctor, at the VA in a month or so, so went in on the date and time mentioned, he asked me a lot of dumb questions, like they always do when you are rated for ptsd, then after about 20 minutes, he said that was it, and said I could go. then about a month later, I got a letter in the mail stating that I had a C&P exam for anxiety attacks & agaphrophia, and they were makeing me 100% for ptsd, instead of the 70% with tdiu, yes I has asked for a exam for anxiety attacks and agaphrophia, as secondary to the ptsd. but they didn't tell me until after the fact that I had a c&p exam and won sorta, I feel they screwed me over in a way, as I was already getting paid at he 100% rate, but nothing to do about it, as far as I know.

Edited by frosty69

• HadIt.com Elder

Frosty

You might try for housebound SMC since you are 100% and have agoraphobia. It worked for a friend of mine.

David you mentioned degenerative Disk Disease? That goes hand in hand with Degenerative Joint disease. The VA most likely will not separate the ratings percentages. They will give you a full range of motion test at the C and P. As far as the radiculpathy to both extremities, That should be secondary to DDD. As far as the Migraines, They will ask severity and how many you are having each month as well as a description of a typical Migraine. Then they will do a neurological exam. http://www.vba.va.gov/bln/21/Benefits/exams/index.htm

Go to that Link and look up the exams your going to have and use this as a guide.

David you mentioned degenerative Disk Disease? That goes hand in hand with Degenerative Joint disease. The VA most likely will not separate the ratings percentages. They will give you a full range of motion test at the C and P. As far as the radiculpathy to both extremities, That should be secondary to DDD. As far as the Migraines, They will ask severity and how many you are having each month as well as a description of a typical Migraine. Then they will do a neurological exam. http://www.vba.va.gov/bln/21/Benefits/exams/index.htm

Go to that Link and look up the exams your going to have and use this as a guide.

Any idea what the neurological exam will be? I claimed arthritis of the c-spine is that the same as DJD?

Guys I just need a little support. My exams are in a few days, I'm nervous, my mind is gone from all the stress and medications. I wrote down alot of stuff i want to say but I'll never remember it. I live in pain every day and I'm worried about the effects on my four year old son. I gotta keep going for him.

Thanks for listening

David- I think someone posted the C & P link you need-

that can be a big help as to what you can expect-

and there is nothing wrong with writing down and bringing what you want to mention to the doctor- their time is so limited at these C & Ps- but you might get a doctor who would hear you out on at least a few things-also Alex pointed out this AM that pain is a factor- and they have to consider that-

Sometimes they even let a wife or significant other attend the C & P- just to have someone with you-and even if they have to wait outside -that can still be a help-

It is the fear of the unknown and nothing at this C & P will be horrible-

If I were you I would plan to get a nice meal or a few good videos for after the C & P-

focus on that - some treat for yourself just for going through the C & P-it will be over sooner than you think-

and there are vets here who had the same C & P- hope they chip in---

PS -here is the basic neuro exam: it is nothing at all to worry about.

http://www.vba.va.gov/bln/21/Benefits/exams/disexm40.htm

My husband had a Neuro C & P a few months after a major stroke-the Neurologist let me 'attend' it because it was done in a hallway between two doctors offices-

"stand up, stand on one foot, walk a few steps-Mr. Simmons -I declare you Permanently & Totally disabled by the stroke" that was it .

You cannot imagine how apprehensive my husband had been -for weeks-over this Neuro exam.

Any idea what the neurological exam will be? I claimed arthritis of the c-spine is that the same as DJD?

David, There is a test called a Weinstein monofiliment test where they use a big piece of fishing line attached to a handle and push it into the nerve root patterns of the arm. They may even do a nerve conduction study. This test can be painful but it may be necessary. especially the nerve velocity study ( pins are stuck into your hand, arm, neck. I have had 2 of these tests dont this year.

David, There is a test called a Weinstein monofiliment test where they use a big piece of fishing line attached to a handle and push it into the nerve root patterns of the arm. They may even do a nerve conduction study. This test can be painful but it may be necessary. especially the nerve velocity study ( pins are stuck into your hand, arm, neck. I have had 2 of these tests dont this year.

Should I take my pain or aniexty medications prior to the exams?