Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Ptsd Vs. Depression

Rate this question

OIF 03

Question

Prior to my receiving 50% for my PTSD claim that was ongoing since 06' I took a person's advice and also filed for a depression claim while I was awaiting the decision of the VA. I filed the claim in anger that I was initially denied for PTSD, although I do suffer from extreme bouts of Depression. Are these claims two seperate scenarios, or do I drop this claim due to my winning the PTSD?

Thanks,

OIF 03

• Answers 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

5 answers to this question

The depression claim- have they acknowledged it yet?

They wont pay comp for PTSD and depression separately- however depression can be secondary to PTSD.

If you feel that the 50% did not consider the depression and you fit into a higher rating criteria it could possibly change your rating-

But still-they lump it all together anyhow so the question is-

do you fit into a higher rating criteria-than 50%-if they consider all of yur med recs?

Have you had a diagnosis and significant treatment and meds for the depression since your PTSD award?

My point is that they will adhere to the Schedule of Ratings anyhow in determining your percentage.

The depression claim- have they acknowledged it yet?

They wont pay comp for PTSD and depression separately- however depression can be secondary to PTSD.

If you feel that the 50% did not consider the depression and you fit into a higher rating criteria it could possibly change your rating-

But still-they lump it all together anyhow so the question is-

do you fit into a higher rating criteria-than 50%-if they consider all of yur med recs?

Have you had a diagnosis and significant treatment and meds for the depression since your PTSD award?

Berta,

I feel that I do fit into the 50% category and it was a fair assesment of my PTSD but was just curious about the depression side of things. I think with your explanation, I am going to leave this one alone. Thank you yet again for your quick response.

OIF 03

Ps. It is difficult to determine the difference between PTSD and depression!!!

My point is that they will adhere to the Schedule of Ratings anyhow in determining your percentage.

I would think any vet with PTSD also has depression too-

I am not discouraging you to claim it-

it could get worse in time and your overall disability picture would be higher-

This claim explain what I mean better-

http://www.va.gov/vetapp07/files4/0733104.txt

The vet 50% for PTSD and raised the issue of depression as secondary-

they listed the criteria for the whole Schedule of ratings and denied him for more than 50%.