Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Vet Center Contrary Message On Iu

Rate this question

nlualum82

Question

I saw my Vet Center counselor today. He told me that he and my VA Psych. had spoken about me. Part of it was about changeing my meds (they may be borrowing Marlon Perkins tranq gun) and part seemed like a genuine concern on both their parts that I get out of the post office.

We discussed it as time permitted, and he told me to schedule with my SO and have him file for TDIU. I talked with him about the process as I understand it, that you apply for OPM retirement from USPS while working, then SS and TDIU when OPM has retired you.

He says that they can initiate the process while I'm working. It sounds like he would be in my corner, for what it's worth. I am scared of not having security for my family, he understands, but is if possible, less optimistic about my "life", physical/mental condition and the odds on my making my last 8 years, 6 months, 4 days - as well as what would be left of me at that point.

Having been recently bumped to 90%, I can now make more money by collecting AND working at USPS.

BUT I DON'T CARE! I want out!!

We aren't yet accustomed to the new pay rate and probably wouldn't lose much anyway. My family is my top concern, I don't want to fail them, but personally, I would certainly sacrifice more than what it appears we would to get out ASAP!

I am primarily puzzled about his IU statement. Has anyone ever heard of a process by which you initiate consideration for IU while still working?

It would be nice, as insecure as I am. From the VA standpoint, I could see an advantage to being started the day after your final day on the job, no earlier effective date, no back pay.

Is he mistaken? Am I just too anxious to believe what I want to?

Gary

• Answers 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Mike

If your disability retirement has been approved it should only take a few weeks to start getting a paycheck from OPM. What they do is give you an interim payment until they do the final calculation. Have you been separated yet via Form 50? You can call OPM to find out what is going on with your retirement.

John, my disability retirement has not been approved yet. I did call personel in Milwaukee in Sept. and the gal said my paperwork is in Washington DC. She did give me a claim number and she told me I would hear from the Postal people before she did. So I'm waiting for approval, I don't have any idea what I'll get or anything like that. I did get SSDI, and a 20% increase in my VA disability, my health problem was caused by a VA perscription. I felt I should get TDIU as I lost my rural carrier job as the doctors all refuse to sign my release to return to work. I was a rural carrier for 18 years. In my mind I thought I could return to work but I've been so sore and in so much pain all over my body that I know I could never do my job. Not sure what Form 50 is.

• HadIt.com Elder

Mike

If you were under FERS you will get 60% of your High three minus your SSDI benefits. After one year you will get 40% of your high three minus a percentage of your SSDI. I get about 600 bucks from OPM and 1300 bucks from SSDI. When you get your TDIU you will be doing OK. Your Form 50 is your final separation papers. After my insurance and survivor benefit is taken out of my OPM I get 350$ so it is a small amount of money. When you hit 62 the SSDI offset goes away and you get the full OPM as if you had worked until your regular retirement.

Mike

If you were under FERS you will get 60% of your High three minus your SSDI benefits. After one year you will get 40% of your high three minus a percentage of your SSDI. I get about 600 bucks from OPM and 1300 bucks from SSDI. When you get your TDIU you will be doing OK. Your Form 50 is your final separation papers. After my insurance and survivor benefit is taken out of my OPM I get 350$ so it is a small amount of money. When you hit 62 the SSDI offset goes away and you get the full OPM as if you had worked until your regular retirement.

John, thanks for the info.. I am under FERS. My hope is to get TDIU. I don't know if you have followed my naproxen case or not on hadit, I took naproxen for about 3 yrs. and had a GI bleed, a blood vessel busted from the naproxen use and I had 2 episodes of passing out, watershed effect of the cervical cord, etc. I'm 56 now. Naproxen for pain in my feet just about did me in. Anyway John, thanks for the good info. I take it you got a disability retirement from the P.O.?