Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 
Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Neuropathy Caused By Vitamin Deficiency?!

Rate this question

Jayg

Question

I have neuropathy. Legs jingle, jangle, jingle as the old song says. EMG shows nerve damage in both legs though worse on the right. (right arm too.)

I'm claiming it as secoindary to lower back problems caused by altered gait due to sprained left ankle and flat feet.

So yesterday I see a doctor and he tells me it's probably from a vitamin deficiency??? ;)

He said if the blood work shows such, he'll order a series of vitamin injections. (and I hate needles!) This is supposed to make me feel better.

Is this for real??? I'm all for feeling better but why ain't I reassured. I can't see this helping my claim process either. ;)

• Answers 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Jayg,

Do not discount the vitamin deficiency possibility. I have been diagnosed with pernicious anemia, also known as B12 deficiency, for 27 years. Peripheral Neuropathy is the most obvious symptom but there are many more that can be far worse.

Long term undiagnosed B12 deficiency can lead to subacute combined degeneration of the spine, heart failure, dementia, eye problems, unsteady gait, shortness of breath, and fatigue. Good blood tests for diagnosis are for Homocystine and Methylmalonic Acid. Increased levels above normal are indicative of deficiency and you should begin taking shots montly for life.

Most of your symptoms could be caused by deficiency but only a doctor can make that call.

Jayg,

Do not discount the vitamin deficiency possibility. I have been diagnosed with pernicious anemia, also known as B12 deficiency, for 27 years. Peripheral Neuropathy is the most obvious symptom but there are many more that can be far worse.

Long term undiagnosed B12 deficiency can lead to subacute combined degeneration of the spine, heart failure, dementia, eye problems, unsteady gait, shortness of breath, and fatigue. Good blood tests for diagnosis are for Homocystine and Methylmalonic Acid. Increased levels above normal are indicative of deficiency and you should begin taking shots montly for life.

Most of your symptoms could be caused by deficiency but only a doctor can make that call.

Dennis, Are you SC for the pernicious anemia if so how? Thanks, Stillhere

It is possible with certain B vitamin deficiencies. CNN article
Thanks for that article. But it's still wide open. As likely as not to be the result of trauma or altered gait as vitamin deficiency. I guess that was the safe diagnosis since there's no way it can be service connected. :)

• HadIt.com Elder
Thanks for that article. But it's still wide open. As likely as not to be the result of trauma or altered gait as vitamin deficiency. I guess that was the safe diagnosis since there's no way it can be service connected. :)

The bloodwork will partially answer the question as to the etiology of your neuropathy, but you need to push for a MRI of your spine to see if you have nerve root impingement. If you can prove that is what's going on, then you can find a way to prove service connection. The VA docs aren't going to do this on their own, though. You're going to have to insist that they send you for this test, then fight for it when they try to say you don't need it.

90%, TDIU P&T

The bloodwork will partially answer the question as to the etiology of your neuropathy, but you need to push for a MRI of your spine to see if you have nerve root impingement. If you can prove that is what's going on, then you can find a way to prove service connection. The VA docs aren't going to do this on their own, though. You're going to have to insist that they send you for this test, then fight for it when they try to say you don't need it.
Ok. Next battle is for MRI then. (still haven't heard about the results of the bloodwork. Maybe I can find out next week.

THANKS! :)