Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Another Medicare ?

Rate this question

calnight

Question

OK JUST GOT MY MEDICARE PACKET. DONT KNOW WHAT TO DO. I WILL GIVE YOU MY SITUATION AND ALL OPIONS ARE WELCOME. I AM 35 YEARS OLD IN GOOD MEDICAL SHAPE PHYSICALLY BUT THE MIND IS GONE. I AM 70% FOR PTSD AND AM IU. THE VA IS ABOUT 80 MILES FROM HOME. I USE THE VA FOR MY MEDS AND ALL MEDICAL NEEDS. THEY SAY ITS GOING TO COST ME 96 BUCKS A MONTH FOR MEDICARE. I HAVE NO HMO WERE I LIVE ONLY PPO. SHOULD I TAKE THE COVERGE JUST TO COVER MY SIX. OR POCKET THE MONEY AND SIGHN UP LATER. I KNOW THERE IS A PENILTY FOR THAT SOMETHING LIKE 10% A YEAR. AND CHOOSING A PLAN IS ANOTHER HEADACHE. WITCH PLAN SHOULD I CHOOSE. AND IN THE PACKET IT SAID IF YOU ARE COVERED BY ANOTHER INSURANCE LIKE YOUR WIFES EMPLOYER THERE IS NO PENALTY IF YOU WANT SIGHN UP LATER. DOES THAT INCLUDE IF YOU ARE COVERED BY THE VA. ALSO DOES ANYBODY KNOW WHAT THE COST OF PART D IS FOR THE PRES DRUGS. OR IS IT INCLUDED IN THE 96 A MONTH OR SEPERATE.

A LITTLE SIDE NOTE HAD A APPT AT THE VA THE OTHER DAY. AFTER THE APPT WENT TO TRAVEL PAY AND WENT FROM 11 BUCKS TO 35 BUCKS. ALWAYS AFTER THE APPT I GET MY TRAVEL PAY AND GIVE IT TO ANOTHER VET. USUALLY THERE ARE ALWAYS OLDER VETS SITTING OUT FRONT OF THE VA WAITING FOR THE BUS. THERE WAS THIS GUY ABOUT 70 YEARS OLD. SITTING ON THE BUS BENCH WEARING A MARINE CORP HAT. HE WAS ON OXGEN. I SAT DOWN STARTING TALKING TO HIM HE WAS A KOREAN VET. WE TALKED FOR SOMETIME I GAVE HIM MY TRAVEL PAY AND HE TEARED UP. NEXT TIME YOU GO TO THE VA TAKE A MINUTE AND TALK WITH THE OLDER VETS. MOST ARE LONELY AND THEY LOVE TO TALK ABOUT THE GOOD OLD DAYS. I ALWAYS FIGURE THERE IS SOMEBODY WORSE THAN YOU. I FEEL LUCKY TO BE WERE I AM TODAY IN THE SENSE THERE IS NO MORE FIGHTING THE VA AT LEAST FOR NOW. AND EVERYONE FIGHTING THE SYSTEM FOR BENIFITS FOR WITCH YOU EARNED WIN THE FIGHT IS OVER PLEASE GIVE SOMETHING BACK EITHER YOUR KNOWLEGE OF THE CLAIMS SYSTEM OR JUST SITTING DOWN WITH ANOTHER VET TO SWAP WAR STORIES. THANKS

• Answers 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

4 answers to this question

I'm sorry I can't answer your questions concerning medicare. I can say that is a very nice thing you did for the Korean Vet. We all need to remember there is always someone worse off than each of us. I have PTSD myself and I know what you mean about the mind being gone, but obviously you still have a big heart and I try to be the same way myself. Thanks again.

Calnight,

• No VA coverage does not stop you from having to pay the 10% penalty for Medicare Part B if you do not sign up now.

• I found this out the hard way. I was told by a Va rep at the VAMC that I didn't have to sign up because I had VA health care. Well, if I want Medicare Part B now, I must pay around $120.00 a month due to the penalties. I verified this with the SSA.

• The Medicare Part D is separate from Part B.

• But the great thing about Medicare Part D is your VA Prescription COverage does count as Credible Coverage and you pay no penalties if you choose to wait to sign up for Part D. I verified this with the SSA

Seeing your note about travel pay reminds me, I forgot to get my travel pay the past two trips this month. I have to go again a week from today, hopefully they will give me the back travel pay, this is the third trip this month to the VAMC.

• HadIt.com Elder

I advise anyone who can get Medicare to get it and Part B also. Most who don't end up regretting it. Since you live in California I guess there are many supplemental plans that you can take out like in Texas I have Secure Horizons Medicare HMO and except for paying the Part B all I have is small copays for some pretty good treatment.

• HadIt.com Elder

I think I saw somewhere if you decline Part B on SSD when they convert you to regular SS at age 65 you can then pick up Part B with no penalties I need to check on that