Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Hypertension

Rate this question

srspa777

Question

I got my appeal back and i was granted 0% disability for hypertension. I was diagnosed with it in the army, they denied me initially(why i don't know). On the appeal they said 0% because i'm not currently on meds. So my question is if i go on meds will they give me 10%? Do i need readings consistently above 160? Help!! Also do i have to go to the VA? Can i go to my family doctor?

And i am currently on antidepressants. Can i tie it in with my hypertension?

HELP

• Answers 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

6 answers to this question

Yes you can go to any doctor-

the VA should have enclosed part of the Schedule of Ratings with their decision to show what the ratable levels for HBP are.

• HadIt.com Elder

Repost from your Introduction Thread:

38 CFR 4.104:

Workload of greater than 7 METs but not greater than 10 METs results

in dyspnea, fatigue, angina, dizziness, or syncope, or; continuous

medication required 10%

You most likely do not meet the criteria listed, but they did tell you what you need to get the 10% (in a round about way). If you get a prescription for your hypertension, and send it in the evidence of the prescription, then you should get 10%. You can go to either the VA or your private physician...it doesn't matter where the evidence comes from, so long as you have evidence showing you require continous medication for hypertension. Keep in mind, though, if you were to get a prescription from the VA for this, it would be free now, because the condition is service connected.

Your best bet at this point, would be to file a new claim for increase, after you receive a prescription. I say this because if you file a form 9 and appeal to the BVA, they will only take the 10% back to the date which you received the prescription. It would take a few years to get this decision, also. If you go the VA this month and get a script, then file a claim for increase the next day, you could be receiving the 10% in six months or less. Good luck!

• HadIt.com Elder

Sorry Shane, The Regs you quoted are for Hypertensive heart disease.

The Vet is talking about Hypertensive Vascular Disease.

SRSPA777: The requirements for compensable HTN are as follows.

7101 Hypertensive vascular disease (hypertension and isolated systolic hypertension):

Diastolic pressure predominantly 130 or more 60

Diastolic pressure predominantly 120 or more 40

Diastolic pressure predominantly 110 or more, or; systolic pressure predominantly 200 or more 20

Diastolic pressure predominantly 100 or more, or; systolic pressure predominantly 160 or more, or; minimum evaluation for an individual with a history of diastolic pressure predominantly 100 or more who requires continuous medication for control 10

Note (1): Hypertension or isolated systolic hypertension must be confirmed by readings taken two or more times on at least three different days. For purposes of this section, the term hypertension means that the diastolic blood pressure is predominantly 90mm. or greater, and isolated systolic hypertension means that the systolic blood pressure is predominantly 160mm. or greater with a diastolic blood pressure of less than 90mm.

Note (2): Evaluate hypertension due to aortic insufficiency or hyperthyroidism, which is usually the isolated systolic type, as part of the condition causing it rather than by a separate evaluation.

Note (3): Evaluate hypertension separately from hypertensive heart disease and other types of heart disease.

Edited by jbasser

• HadIt.com Elder

John....don't be sorry for giving a vet correct information. How can you tell the difference, though?

Eitehr way, if he requires continous medication, it warrants a 10% evaluation under both rating criteria.

Just a little difference:

Hypertensive Heart Disease is caused by hypertension. It includes a group of disorders such as heart failure, ischemic heart disease, and left ventricular hypertrophy (excessive thickening of the heart muscle). Each of these are shown by symptoms such as death, shortness of breath, irregular pulse etc.....

Hypertension by itself does not normally display any symptoms that is why the call it the silent killer. Once you move into the hypertensive heart diease cat it is kinda late in the game for damage has already been done.

However, without mixing words, the advice already given is excellent. Once a doctor determines that a case of hypertension requires constant medication in order to control it (attempts to delay or avoid HHD) the veteran can file a claim for increase.

Edited by Ricky

• HadIt.com Elder

diastolic pressure predominantly 100 or more who requires continuous medication for control 10

or; continuous

medication required 10%

To be compensated for it still requires readings at compensable levels even with medication for HTN.

Heart disease 10 percent is for continuous medication to control. The VA draws a fine line here.

I had a hard time getting 10 percent even though the majority of my readings were compensable.

But at least they service conencted my heart disease also.

J