VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

What Is A Dependent Spouse?

Rate this question

SEJones

Question

Hello All

I went to the VA clinic today and got some new informaiton about my claim. I was 10% filed a NOD and was sent a SOC for 80% with a TDIU form. Well I am still waiting for a responce. I still do not have an award letter. However in the admissioin area they did a "HINQ" They said this is the offical record. I am rated unemployable, news to me, in this system. But where is shows Check Amount it has $1277.00 Vet married Vet= No spouse or not eligible. The rep said I don't get anything for m spouse because he isn't disabled and there are no kids. Is this correct? I thought it was strange since they had me bring in my marriage licence. Any idea how ong it takes for me to get confirmation from the VARO/DRO?

SE

• Answers 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

5 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

The VA is wrong. You do get money for your spouse. I get about 200 extra dollars a month for my spouse and she is not disabled.

The HiNQ screen is a VHA or hospital screen. A lot of times that screen is not accurate. The only thing that is important is that it shows you are over 50 percent. That puts you in category 1 for health care. When you do become 100 percent based on unemployability you will then be entitled to dental. If you want to check if your wife is on your award just call 18008271000 and ask.

I thought the rate for a wife for a 100% veteran is around 135.00 a month, I think that is what I get, on my check and my wife is totally disabled by SSDI standards, but that doesn't make any difference for the VA rate, unless someday down the road, she needs a&a/housebound, then the check will be bigger. or at least that is the way I understand it.

Thanks for the replys

I will go back to the VARO and try to get to the bottom of this. But they know I am married and I am not getting the pay for a spouse even at the current ratig percentage.

SE

• HadIt.com Elder
Hello All

I went to the VA clinic today and got some new informaiton about my claim. I was 10% filed a NOD and was sent a SOC for 80% with a TDIU form. Well I am still waiting for a responce. I still do not have an award letter. However in the admissioin area they did a "HINQ" They said this is the offical record. I am rated unemployable, news to me, in this system. But where is shows Check Amount it has $1277.00 Vet married Vet= No spouse or not eligible. The rep said I don't get anything for m spouse because he isn't disabled and there are no kids. Is this correct? I thought it was strange since they had me bring in my marriage licence. Any idea how ong it takes for me to get confirmation from the VARO/DRO?

SE

When a veteran is rated 30% or higher by V.A. for a service connected disability, a veteran can file a Declaration of the Status of Dependents form and provide certified copies of marriage certificate and birth certificates to receive Additional Compensation for Dependents. Call V.A. and they will explain how to submit your claim for this benefit.