VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Picked Up My Filled Out Aid & Attendence Form From My Pcp!

Rate this question

donews

Question

I dropped of the form for Aid & Attendence on April 9th when I had an appointment for my PCP.

I will be bouncing between two issues here as they are "Inexplicably Intertwined" so bear with me.

I even dropped off copies of the C&P for Aid and Attendence and a few other materials describing what they want in the forms.

Well...... I did get the form back filled out and signed. So I guess I got part of what I wanted.

But, isn't there always a but?....

Every single section where the form asks the doctor to be very specific about limitations, fine motor skills, grasp, ect. he just wrote very non detailed information. For example under the restrictions for upper extremities:

"Veterans can use hands but has difficulty"

Well umm ok so what the he77 does that mean? Not very descriptive.

Then to top off the molded cake with some nice sour frosting, under the section he was supposed to list conditions I have, he listed them, and right next to Depression he writes:

"Depression - Veteran has trouble dealing with his own affairs"

What the F*&^ is that BS?

No doctor, not my cardiologist, not my hospice doctor, not my other doctors, not even the three VA Mental Health Doctors have ever even peeped anything about this.

Actually all three of my Mental Health Doctors have specifically stated in the records multiple times that I am able to handle my own affairs.

I think this doc did this to get back at me. Its a long story, but we have been at odds for over a year almost since he has been my PCP. Ever since the first appointment wiht him, he rushes me out before I can talk about anything I need to have address, doesn't matter if its a current or new condition. He says he can not waste all his time on one vet, he has other vets that need him also and he wants to be fair. The VA have been dragging their feet about getting me another doctor, I found out today, that I might get to get another doctor but it will require a clinic move and further drive just to get one, but its gonna be worth it. This doctor stops me in the middle of my sentences every visit I have with him and says ok see ya come back in six months. He NEVER in over a year has ever resolved all my concerns during a visit, actually he usually doesnt have time to hear them before I am forced to leave. Basically when I goto the appointment, he will start in on his own agenda and do and talk about what he wants then its over. I complain to the other doctors and even the patient advocate nad they are like tell him to slow down and refuse to leave until your done, but he just says see ya in six months then walks away. My son called the VAMC that handles this clinic and filed a complaint with the director. Since that time, the doctor has been less confrontational, but he NEVER returns my calls, NEVER returns the calls of other doctors trying to reach him concerning my case, he even sat on my Hospice Orders for a few days until someone from hospice called the main VAMC to complain that he wasn't responding.

But this is insane, a vet should not have to deal with a doctor that he feels has no interest in his well being. I absolutly feel that he has no cencern for my wellbeing since the first time I had to complain on him, and probably before that as I had to complain.

Ok venting is over. Now anyone have an opinion?

Should I submit these Aid and Attendence forms? They basically say in a nutshell that I can not walk unassisted, and that I need constant care, but they are not descriptive enough I think. Also with his note they will try to railroad me into a incompetency issue.

Or should I send them in knowing that my Mental Health Doctors enter into the computer every month that I can handle my own affairs and just prey for the best?

• Answers 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

5 answers to this question

Don,

Sorry you are being treated this way. The vindictive side of me wishes this individual the same quality of care that he has given you when he is in need, but I don't think anyone truly deserves to be treated this way.

I would send in the form with a cover letter indicating your disagreement with the "trouble handling his own affairs" statement and mention the other doctors reports that clearly indicate you are capable. This action alone should be a positive affirmation to them that you are capable of directing and making informed/intelligent decisions.

I think a letter, sent further up the VA food chain, maybe VISN level, describing your experience might be in order. I would not make it about the individual PCP but maybe ask the question: "Are there enough providers and should there be longer appointment time slots for veterans with catastrophic health problems?' I make this suggestion on the premise, if we don't tell them that it is broken they can't fix it.

Best regards,

Tyler

I dropped of the form for Aid & Attendence on April 9th when I had an appointment for my PCP.

I will be bouncing between two issues here as they are "Inexplicably Intertwined" so bear with me.

I even dropped off copies of the C&P for Aid and Attendence and a few other materials describing what they want in the forms.

Well...... I did get the form back filled out and signed. So I guess I got part of what I wanted.

Every single section where the form asks the doctor to be very specific about limitations, fine motor skills, grasp, ect. he just wrote very non detailed information. For example under the restrictions for upper extremities:

Then to top off the molded cake with some nice sour frosting, under the section he was supposed to list conditions I have, he listed them, and right next to Depression he writes:

No doctor, not my cardiologist, not my hospice doctor, not my other doctors, not even the three VA Mental Health Doctors have ever even peeped anything about this.

Actually all three of my Mental Health Doctors have specifically stated in the records multiple times that I am able to handle my own affairs.

I think this doc did this to get back at me. Its a long story, but we have been at odds for over a year almost since he has been my PCP. Ever since the first appointment wiht him, he rushes me out before I can talk about anything I need to have address, doesn't matter if its a current or new condition. He says he can not waste all his time on one vet, he has other vets that need him also and he wants to be fair. The VA have been dragging their feet about getting me another doctor, I found out today, that I might get to get another doctor but it will require a clinic move and further drive just to get one, but its gonna be worth it. This doctor stops me in the middle of my sentences every visit I have with him and says ok see ya come back in six months. He NEVER in over a year has ever resolved all my concerns during a visit, actually he usually doesnt have time to hear them before I am forced to leave. Basically when I goto the appointment, he will start in on his own agenda and do and talk about what he wants then its over. I complain to the other doctors and even the patient advocate nad they are like tell him to slow down and refuse to leave until your done, but he just says see ya in six months then walks away. My son called the VAMC that handles this clinic and filed a complaint with the director. Since that time, the doctor has been less confrontational, but he NEVER returns my calls, NEVER returns the calls of other doctors trying to reach him concerning my case, he even sat on my Hospice Orders for a few days until someone from hospice called the main VAMC to complain that he wasn't responding.

But this is insane, a vet should not have to deal with a doctor that he feels has no interest in his well being. I absolutly feel that he has no cencern for my wellbeing since the first time I had to complain on him, and probably before that as I had to complain.

Should I submit these Aid and Attendence forms? They basically say in a nutshell that I can not walk unassisted, and that I need constant care, but they are not descriptive enough I think. Also with his note they will try to railroad me into a incompetency issue.

Or should I send them in knowing that my Mental Health Doctors enter into the computer every month that I can handle my own affairs and just prey for the best?

Don, I also am trying for an A & A claim. Bva just remanded it & told the RO they failed to check my wife's SS status & other things.

By remanding it kept me from getting a Lawyer as I filed said claim in 2,002.

But, I have found out that taking an A & A claim form for a Doc to fill out to every Doc one see's is a good idea.

I recently sent in opinions from ,I believe, it was 6 VA Docs & 2 Imos.

I had one Neurologist call me & tell me he had my letter done & I asked him if it was negative or positive & so after a little talking he said I could look at letter before he filed it.

Well, it was very positive to my cause but he had written "Probably" & I asked him to change it to "More likely than not"

He asked why as probably means yes & I told him in VA Terminlogy it can mean whatever they want it to so he changed it.

But, the RO as usual denied it & the BVA remanded it & I hit them with so damn many Opinions this time it will suprise me if the RO denies it. I don't know what Docs they will use against me as I have covered every Doc that I have ever had contact with.

But, if they do I can bring in a Lawyer right after I get my denial letter because of the 2,007 Law.

I know Lawyers cost 20% of back pay but with the higher rating one gets it's well worth the effort & that's not even mentioning with a Lawyer the VA can't play as many games as they know the Lawyer just wants to get a positive answer & get his money.

If I don't get rated back to the time I applied & the highest possible rate I will NOD their answer & bring in a Lawyer.

Amazing what Lawyers can do as I had to use one on my SS & another on my VA Claim I am now rated at 100% T & P.

Like my first Lawyer told me " The RO is just there to turn U down & the VA can walk all over a single Vet but us

"Dirty Ole Lawyers" ( HA) they know that doesn't work as we know their laws."I am very positive on this claim & will get back pay from the day I filed so every day the VA stalls the more my back pay will be.

Also, I try to be Buddies with every Doc I have as they are the ones who can grease the skids.

Also, to the one's who don't want to give 20% to a Lawyer what is better 100% of nothing or 80% of the rating & your claim money each month.

But then different people have differant ideas how to accomplish something I guess that will always be a debate. I just do what I think is in my best interests.

GARY

• HadIt.com Elder

Don...wad that piece of crap up and start over. Find another doc, and go talk to the patient advocate.

Gary...what is the reason that the RO is giving for the denial?

• HadIt.com Elder

Don,

We have discussed this " competency " before. Why in the heck would this doctor place under depression, has trouble

dealing with his own affairs.

Perhaps he feels this is a way for you to have in home care. Is this possible?

Finding another doctor may not be so easy , or will it?

We know that you are not incompetent and so does the VA. They would have to prove you were and they couldn't use

some remark like that to do it.

My opinion, I would turn it in. Most of these doctor in the VA and also private docs are too busy to do justice to their

patients.

Please do what you think is best for you.

Betty

• HadIt.com Elder

If it was me I would send it in and ask for a C&P the form that they use is not very helpful.

Pete