Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Claim Timeline - One Guy's Experience W/baltimore Varo And The Process

Rate this question

Bill (USAF Retired)

Question

Just to share experience:

1. Handcarried my C&P claim to Washington DC on the 1-year anniversary of my last day of active duty (time flies when you're having fun). I did not submit a copy of my service medical records.

2. C&P physical scheduled 49 days later.

3. Politely inquired by IRIS as to status 168 days after filing. Was informed they were waiting for my C&P paperwork to come from Florida. Again politely contacted them, informed them I had never filed any C&P stuff in Florida...I had an informal claim for education benefits down there, but that was it.

4. 194 days after filing, Baltimore VARO mailed me my rating decision - 70 percent, retroactive to my first day as a military retiree. I wonder if they fast-tracked it once they realized they'd had it in limbo due to a faulty presumption.

5. One condition was rated at 10% instead of 30%, so I'll be filing a Notice of Disagreement. This one surprised me, as my service medical records AND the rating decision stated facts that should have gotten me the 30%.

6. DFAS (issuers of military retired pay) advised that DVA had notified them of my VA entitlement, and indicated what the adjustment would be.

Computers are nice things when they work.

Impressions of entire process: I had been expecting an absolute nightmare, due to the press DVA (rightfully, in some cases) gets. With only two exceptions (one being the C&P doc), I found personnel to be courteous and efficient. One with whom I set up a weekend specialty appointment took the time and effort to get peoples' home and cell #'s so he could call us if they shut down due to snow. Since the C&P doc was wielder of the keyboard which would ultimately affect my rating, I did not respond to her rudeness in kind. It seemed a good time for that time-honored skill we all learned during active service, "military bearing." I was pleasantly surprised that her eye-rolling, curt tone and general nastiness did not adversely affect my writeup.

Things I did

1. Be early for appointments. It's like the military -- "when you're early, you're on time...when you're on time, you're late." Sometimes you can benefit from a no-show and get in sooner, too.

2. Though retired and perfectly free to go in with the Retired Guy beard 'n earring, I de-earringed and did the haircut and shave thing. Impressions.

3. Politeness counts big-time (I said politeness, now, not sucking up!). Many of our fellow Veterans were pretty harsh and demanding with the staff, and good morning/please/thank you/yes ma'am makes you look saintly by comparison. I understand that the frustration is often amply justified, but again -- the staff can help you or hurt you. Easier to get them on your side from the start, if possible.

4. Advance preparation counts big-time:

a. I reviewed my medical records carefully so I'd remember the timelines for treatment of each condition. Dates get jumbled over a 20 year career.

b. I was familiar with the rating schedule for each condition (but did not disclose this).

c. I knew where I honestly fell on the rating schedule for each condition.

d. I was familiar with the worksheets for each condition (but did not disclose this).

e. I neither exaggerated nor downplayed my symptoms for each condition -- just the facts. My goal was to get no more or less than I qualified for under law and regulation.

Hope something in here helps a fellow Veteran.

• Answers 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Bill

If they gave 70% on the first go around then you are probably 100%. I would appeal. Your best bet would be to get good medical opinions from private doctors to back up your appeals for higher ratings. Any money you spend to get a higher rating will come right back to you for years to come. You want so much good evidence that the VA cannot make any other decision but to increase the rating.

I'm laying the groundwork for that. Fortunately, my medical is covered monetarily (TRICARE) so my only difficulty is finding time off from work. I want to make sure my case is thoroughly "papered."

time off from work?

Unless your wages are at or below the annual poverty level- you cannot get TDIU.

GRADUATE ! Nov 2nd 2007 American Military University !

When thousands of Americans faced annihilation in the 1800s Chief

Osceola's response to his people, the Seminoles, was

simply "They(the US Army)have guns, but so do we."

Sameo to us -They (VA) have 38 CFR ,38 USC, and M21-1- but so do we.

time off from work?

Unless your wages are at or below the annual poverty level- you cannot get TDIU.

Thanks for the heads-up; I'm not seeking TDIU though :angry: Just trying to get the schedular ratings that my conditions and service medical records support...this would top me out at 90%, unless a condition deteriorates. I'll be more than happy if nothing deteriorates. I'm all about staying employed for as long as possible.

v/r

Bill

also wonder if they got it moving quicker not only because you had all your paper work proper but because I assume you are of the Iraq war vet era.

Good on your claim and enjoy the rest of your life.

Stillhere