Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Just Found This Forum, Have Some Questions

Rate this question

Jayg

Question

Howdy. I am new to this forum and oy! do I have a lot of questions!

I am 52, w/ 40% VA disability but have secondary conditions appealed.

I am not TDIU but do believe I will succeed in getting there.

A new note in my medical records state I "am unable to do any physical activity w/out discomfort." This has only just been submitted in my appeal.

I am VAsc for feet & an ankle. But secondary conditions, knees, hip, back... render me unemployable. My trades have been Truck driving, construction, factory & machinist. I am unable to do anything like those.

Do I have to be VA rated IU before applying for SS?

I have been unemployed since 2004.

Am I eligable for SSD, SSI, which? both??

Should I apply for SS? (if eligable)? I have 'heard' that if you get SS? first, VA will adjust your VA compensation rather like concurrent receipt.

Will having SS? hurt or help with VA claim/appeal?

Education? I did graduate from High school but just barely.

Also, I am diagnosed with "severe debilitating arthritis." I am on strong pain meds. I am also somewhat easily confused, :huh: so please, point me in the right direction here? Then I'll be able to look for more specific things on my own. B)

Thanks to all in advance.

• Answers 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

I was 48 when I applied and got SSD and I did not hire a lawyer.I have a College Degree, fairly good work record. One recent 30 day hospitalization for depression. At this point all I really knew was I had major depression but I was close to my diagnosis that VA uses now Panic Disorder.

I saw three Docs for Social Security a shrink. a psychologist and a Medical Doctor. I was granted SSD in 4 months.When I talked to people at Social Security they were helpful and for the most part kind and considerate a real change form my dealings with VA.

I really thing looking back that even the people at Social Security were fully aware of how the VA treats Vets and how long and difficult it is to win a claim.

So I agree with Chuck 75 generally but add that if you have good medical evidence you will win. I just hope that you hang on so that you do win.

Once you win you will have security cause its very rare indeed when I see anyone who has both have difficulty keeping them. I tell my wife that if we were working not so great but we do have a very nice retirement plan.

I am a virtual millionaire cause I would have had to save over a million dollars to generate the same income.And than I would have to worry about the income and what to do with it.

So don't ever give up.

Veterans deserve real choice for their health care.

I applied for SSDI 6 months after I had my heart attack on Jan 25, 2006 and starting receiving SSDI 6 months later. I was 59 when I had my heart attack. I am now 62 and just went on Medicare on July 1. I have AARP as my supplement and am very happy to finally be able to afford health care. The shrink I was sent to by the SSDI people said I was a shattered wreck, in so many words, and that I was not able to work, physically or mentally. He also set my GAF at 50. I was very happy to win my SSDI because I had no idea how we were going to live on just my wifes income. It has helped me a lot, especially mentally. The people at SSDI have treated me very nice and were always very professional.

Now the VA is another matter. I have been 0% SC for a heart condition that they discharged me from the Navy with a medical discharge for over 40 years and the VA could care less that the SSDI people have decided that I am 100% disabled and will give me my SSDI for the rest of my life. My current claims are over 2 years old and I sit here waiting for the VA to decide something. It is very pathetic the way they treat us veterans.

The only other thing that I will say is DO NOT GIVE UP with the SSDI claim. If you have good medical records and work history, you will win your claim eventually. And remember, it is retro from the time you file, minus 6 months waiting period. My experience is it is a lot easier to work with the SSDI people than it is with the VA. Hang in there....Brian

I've waited this long and I'm not giving up....NEVER!!