Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Vocational Rehab Chapeter 31

Rate this question

BernieB

Question

Question for your guys. What do you think of the success of the Chapter 31 vocational rehabilition training program. I've had an interesting ride. I've applied for jobs with the VA Hospital in Durham, N.C. The voc/rehab rep said I would have a good shot getting a job in food service or housekeeping. These are p.t. jobs with no benefits? Who would you call to complain?

• Answers 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

Question for your guys. What do you think of the success of the Chapter 31 vocational rehabilition training program. I've had an interesting ride. I've applied for jobs with the VA Hospital in Durham, N.C. The voc/rehab rep said I would have a good shot getting a job in food service or housekeeping. These are p.t. jobs with no benefits? Who would you call to complain?

I think if you take a job in food service or housekeeping then you don't need to take vocational rehabilitation. ( I an not saying these are bad jobs, someone has to do them but.... they don't pay much)

Most people take vocational rehabilitation to get a better education to get a better paying job...

Complain about what ? the counselor ? the job? exactly what do you want to complain about?

Probably the counselor or it could be me. I've applied for about 8 or 9 VA jobs. (GS-4-5). I never get an interview. I expressed my concern to my counselor about two week ago. I haven't heard from him since. I said help me find a job, or help mr line up an OJT program, or help me find a new career and/or send me back to school - or say I'm unemployable.

Probably the counselor or it could be me. I've applied for about 8 or 9 VA jobs. (GS-4-5). I never get an interview. I expressed my concern to my counselor about two week ago. I haven't heard from him since. I said help me find a job, or help mr line up an OJT program, or help me find a new career and/or send me back to school - or say I'm unemployable.

No offense but mayby you should ask yourself that if it is you.The voc rehab people I feel they did everything they can with you now it is up to you to do the rest. I do not feel that they are going to send you back to school and another thing is if they felt you were unemployable they would have not wasted there time in sending you to school. I hope you do not get mad about my comments but I am going on what you stated about this topic.

No offense take. I will say their contribution has been to send me literature on finding a job. They made an administrative error and removed me from the problem saying it was my request. Show me the proof? There was no proof because I didn't ask to leave. My counselor said they would help me find a job. That has not happened. Maybe that's not their job? Then say so. I check in with them about every two weeks. What more do I need to do?

No offense take. I will say their contribution has been to send me literature on finding a job. They made an administrative error and removed me from the problem saying it was my request. Show me the proof? There was no proof because I didn't ask to leave. My counselor said they would help me find a job. That has not happened. Maybe that's not their job? Then say so. I check in with them about every two weeks. What more do I need to do?

If you had a program of vocational rehabilitation and they terminated it, they must put the termination in writing. You can appeal the termination. If you have not received a termination notice, request one in writing. Remember the VA doesn't act on anything unless it is in writing, this also covers your butt when you do not get the desired results.

As far as finding you employment.. unless you completed a program of vocational rehabilitaton the va is not obligated to help you find employment.

If you have applied for employment at the va, you may never be called and there is nothing the counselor can do about this that you can't do yourself. You have the right to ask why you have not been interviewed or called for a position. If I wanted to know why I was not getting hired for a position I would be in someone's face getting an answer.

If you had a program of vocational rehabilitation and they terminated it, they must put the termination in writing. You can appeal the termination. If you have not received a termination notice, request one in writing. Remember the VA doesn't act on anything unless it is in writing, this also covers your butt when you do not get the desired results.

As far as finding you employment.. unless you completed a program of vocational rehabilitaton the va is not obligated to help you find employment.

If you have applied for employment at the va, you may never be called and there is nothing the counselor can do about this that you can't do yourself. You have the right to ask why you have not been interviewed or called for a position. If I wanted to know why I was not getting hired for a position I would be in someone's face getting an answer.

I got back in the program, I think, due to the help of the Virginia Department of Veterans Affairs. You raise a great point about why I'm not getting interviews. You can bet I'm be making some calls today.