Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Can I File A Claim For This?

Rate this question

mrstix

Question

When I was in the Air Force, I had to have my Gall Bladder and stones removed at my local hospital "Emergency Operation". I was full of paranites on I V for 4 day's befor the Doc could operate. There are 4 pages of this in my SMR's. This was done

Sept 11th 1989, is it to late to file for it? The Doctor said it was to risky to try and make it to Wright Patterson AFB. So they did the operation here.I have a 10" long scare and still to this day I have weird feeling there, and suffer from IBS, and constapation.I got my C- file and ran across this and was thinking if I could file a claim on it.

Thanks to all

mrstix Msgt USAF 25 years Retired

70% SC

• Answers 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

For Gall Bladder Disease (Including Gall bladder removal): Episodes of colic or other abdominal pain, distention, nausea, and / or vomiting. Include a statement on frequency of attacks (number within past year). Provide statement as to what x-ray (or other) evidence supports diagnosis of chronic cholecystitis. Include current treatment - type (medication, diet, etc.), duration, response, side effects. For Gall Bladder injury, refer to Stomach, Duodenum and Peritoneal Adhesions worksheet.

7318 Gall bladder, removal of:

With severe symptoms 30

With mild symptoms 10

Nonsymptomatic 0

Tim

Vet and proud of it

Hi,

Good question. I also have 10% for various scars....I also have either 10 or 20% for "loss of a creative organ" i.e. ovary. I'm not sure that you can get a % for the removal of any organ (things like gallbladders, tonsils, appendixes) are organs we can live without (I've had my gallbladder removed as well). So not sure about that.

But go for it if it's caused you problems since the surgery...and the scar(s).

Good luck....keep us posted!

Scars resulting from surgery are to be rated separately from the surgery. We're still fighting this one on an initial claim filed in 1994 for a diverticulitis surgery, and resulting incisional hernia repair surgery that occurred during enlistment. The conditions were rated at 0%, but there was no separate rating for the ten-inch abdominal scar, and this is now part of the argument behind the writ of mandamus request we filed with the Court. So make sure you point that out to the VA in your claim, that you're entitled to a separate rating for the scar.

I had my C&P Thursday for my gall bladder surgery went well.When the Doc seen my scar he said whow that's a big scar, how long where you in the hospitel, told him nine day's with complacations, he said it looks like you did???? He asked me about the feeling I have around the scar, he said it was nerve damage. Then he measured the scar with a tape 7 1/2". Then he asked me about my acid reflex, constapation and hemeroids. He more or less said these are common side effects of this type surgery.

So all in all I think the C&P went pretty good, he did a lot of writeing and asked a lot of questions. So I guess time will tell. I'll let you all know what my decission is when I get it.

Thanks take care , mrstix