VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Anyone Else Get A C&p Exam By A Contracted Civilian Doctor Through Qtc?

Rate this question

JB3AFSP2

Question

I'm wondering if anyone has had their C&P exam scheduled through QTC out of San Antonio. Apparently they're contracted to do this since the VA is so backlogged. They got me a family practice physician to do mine and I'm pretty disgusted because I ended up with a 0% noncompensable rating for intermittent pain subsequent to hand surgery. I fractured my left third and fourth metacarpals and had surgery to place a metal plate and four screws in my hand to set it straight. I wasn't very pleased with the examination. The physician was professional and obviously following protocol, but I don't think the exam was indepth enough. I was done in about 10 minutes. Anyone else have issues with a contracted doc?

• Answers 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

I had mine at QTC in San Antonio 6 years ago. They took their time and seemed to do a thorough job during the exam, x-rays, etc. One thing, their report said that they'd checked my fasting glucose levels - but they hadn't.

Did they send you a questionnaire to fill out before the exam? If so, make a copy of it before you return it to them. If I had done that it would have saved me a lot of trouble later.

You might ask if they'll provide you with a copy of their report when they send it to the RO. I'd be interested to find out if they would.

I did fill out a questionaire but I didn't think to ask for a copy. The report is gone to the RO already so I doubt I'll be able to get a copy. Still, I ask for copies of what they have...I may get lucky.

I'm from Louisiana and I had a C&P exam last year performed by a QTC doctor. It went good and he seemed very concerned about my problems. I got the results I was expecting from the visit. I think a doctor outside the VA realm might be a good thing sometimes because they are not caught up in the bureaucratic B.S. at the VA, just my thought.

Panther

• HadIt.com Elder

I had a DRO tell me he was scheduling a C&P with a civilian contractor. My training as a fraud investigator in industrial injury cases caused big red flags to go up. I was able to convince the DRO to send me to a VA doctor.

By the time I had got to the DRO I had a significant workup-up and favorable diagnosis by VA doctors who I actually had some control in choosing to help me prepare the evidence for my claim. I figured that a VA doctor would not be so eager to contridict other VA doctors who already wrote reports favorable to the veteran and who they might work with.

The red flag that went up was that no plaintiff attorney I worked with under labor law would allow a client to seek doctors opinions from doctors chosed at random. The attorneys prescreened doctors they wanted to write reports for them. The VA works under the assumption that because they are non adversarial that doctors chosen at random will write good reports. I respectfully disagree.

The problem that immediately hit me was that the doctor might think that if he wants to continue to get work from the VA that he needs to write reports favorable to the VA. After all the VA is paying the doctor. The idea of resolving a claim based on a sole report written by a doctor chosen by your employer would never be an option for a plaintiff attorney. This would be the case even if the report from the employers doctor looked on the surface to be favorable. Maybe it is not favorable enough.

The VA system is only as good as the doctor who does the exam. If by the luck of the draw you get a doctor with a hidden agenda then the VA system becomes corrupt. I am not impressed with the VA's system of checks and balances. If the VA C&P system is not working for you then getting private medical opinions or even trying to find a VAMC doctor to go to bat for you is the way to go.

• In Memoriam

I would reserve judgment, about QTC, before I got the results.

I had QTC C&P in Whittier CA. in 2003. The India girl Nurse, that gave me the exam, was 1 hr. late as she had to drive from Long Beach CA., to the Whittier QTC office.

She started telling me about all the amputees that are coming back from war.

She really got me going. I told her that other veterans are not the issue in my disability. I asked her if she was working for the VA Long Beach? She would not answer the question.

I did not know at the time that former VA Secretary and Top employee of QTC was Princippi. Sound a little fishy? My results were 0%. Of coarse the Xray people and the rest were very nice. They did not even refer to the secondary conditions that I was claiming.

If you go to QTC chances are that you will need your own IMO/IME. QTC could have changed since 2003, but I sincerely doubt it. What I am trying to get across is don't be disappointed or stunned with the results from QTC.