VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

How Does The Va Account For Knee Replacement?

Rate this question

cowgirl

Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Was wondering how a knee replacement works? After surgery what can one expect besides some recovery time (don't know how long even, days or months) and if the VA covers for that if sc. Thanks,

cg

• Answers 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

4 answers to this question

Don't know about VA covers for it, they should if it is SC or if 100%. Recovery time depends on you. If you do the exercise faithfuly, After the stamples are out it will go much faster, I had complications 5wks after my first one with a heart attack but after HS I recovered quickly, a year later when I had my second one I was back to work in 9wks. That was in 1998 & 1999 I have not had any trouble with my knees. Although I will give you a hint and that is to go to a pool that has a whirlpool do your exercises also learn to get on your knees in the whirlpool, you will be on fast recovery from this. Good Luck

JohnM's Wife Dianne

• HadIt.com Elder

Talked to a RVN et a while back that had both knees replaced, but not at the same time. Each time he spent about a week in the VAMC with post surgery recovery and initial physical rehab. Then he had three weeks of intense every other day physical rehab. He said you could return to work, etc at this point. Then another six weeks of once or twice a week rehab. He said it took him about four months after each surgery to beging returning to normal. As far as sc'd comp, 4.71a says this:

5055 Knee replacement (prosthesis).

Prosthetic replacement of knee joint:

For 1 year following implantation of prosthesis 100

With chronic residuals consisting of severe painful motion or

weakness in the affected extremity 60

With intermediate degrees of residual weakness, pain or limitation

of motion rate by analogy to diagnostic codes 5256, 5261, or 5262.

Minimum rating 30

I've been looking into all of this, too. I think I will end up having it done on the right knee within the next two years.

I had a knee replacement in January 08, developed serious scar tisues which caused stiffness in joint, had amanipulation done where they put you to sleep and bend your knee for you to break up tissue, unsuccessful will need arthscopic to cut out scar tissue schedule for October 08. Since surgery can only bend knee less than 90 degrees, its very painful and unstable. I received 100% for 13 months at homebound rate. I am hoping to get 60% after the 13 months.

Was wondering how a knee replacement works? After surgery what can one expect besides some recovery time (don't know how long even, days or months) and if the VA covers for that if sc. Thanks,

cg

• HadIt.com Elder

Thanks all, I am hoping to keep the muscles strengthened but its hard t say what or when to expect. Could be as soon as a year or who knows? If the vA helps for a year @ 100% thats good. Is that only for VA operations? or civilian operation for sc knee? Nice to know things to prepare in advance.

cg