Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Radiation Help Needed

Rate this question

bobbyq

Question

Got a VA decision denying the above and they say the following "the Defense Threat Reduction Agency (DTRA) advised the VA that they will not concede presence and that they cannot perform a dose estimate without confirmed presence at a nuclear site or at a nuclear accident." Ok so we have to prove the presence at a nuclear site which was Lakenheath AFB, England 1956 during the cold war. The vet has his 201 file and his job is loading crew member for tactical aircraft (B-66). It included according to his buddy statement the cleaning and disarming of the nuclear weapon wearing nothing but rubber gloves, and just using rags to clear out the residue from the shells. They also state that there is no evidence of record showing that you were exposed to radiation while in service. Well DUH??? What is a nuclear bomb if not nuclear and radiaion?? The question now is what can we do? We are in the process of filing an appeal but there has to be something out there that we are missing. Any idess or suggestions from the masses? Need some help here Thanks, bobby q

• Answers 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

"RAD #2 IS WHAT IS KILLING US. I am filing the appeal tomorrow and then I will see if I can get anything from DRTA. We have the location down, and the fact they "played" with the nukes all the time, I do need a letter from the doc but he is VA and will not stick his neck out if you know what I mean. Thanks, Q"

Even if DRTA confrims his dosage and it is high enough for VA to consider compensable %-still the comp will depend on medical evidence that proves the linkage of his disability to the Nukes.

Does he have a form of STS (Soft Tissue cancer) there are 34 STS cancers on the AO presumptive list.

AO was used and/or stored in Korea, Thailand, Alaska, Fort Drum9testing) Amchitka, Laos,Puerto Rico,Aberdeen Proving Ground,Johnston Atoll, (storage) Panama Canal Zone, Guam-the list I have is too long to type here-

A bill is being proposed (under my AO topic today) to cover any vet who has a disease on the AO presumptive list and who can prove their exposure to AO.

Is there any chance that he should file a parallel claim for disability due to AO exposure?

Do you have his SRB and dates and places he served at? You have the 201- I forgot-

is there any potential at all for AO claim too?

The B 66 was a DOuglas Destroyer, a light bomber -during Vietnam War the RB66 was used for reconnaisance-I wonder if they sprayed the AO from it too while using it as recon plane- they sprayed AO from Helos and by hand so I wonder if they used it from reconnaisance planes too- why not- what better way to get good intelligence than obliterate the jungle-at same time-

Is there any way he might have an AO related disability?

"RAD #2 IS WHAT IS KILLING US. I am filing the appeal tomorrow and then I will see if I can get anything from DRTA. We have the location down, and the fact they "played" with the nukes all the time, I do need a letter from the doc but he is VA and will not stick his neck out if you know what I mean. Thanks, Q"

Even if DRTA confrims his dosage and it is high enough for VA to consider compensable %-still the comp will depend on medical evidence that proves the linkage of his disability to the Nukes.

Does he have a form of STS (Soft Tissue cancer) there are 34 STS cancers on the AO presumptive list.

AO was used and/or stored in Korea, Thailand, Alaska, Fort Drum9testing) Amchitka, Laos,Puerto Rico,Aberdeen Proving Ground,Johnston Atoll, (storage) Panama Canal Zone, Guam-the list I have is too long to type here-

A bill is being proposed (under my AO topic today) to cover any vet who has a disease on the AO presumptive list and who can prove their exposure to AO.

Is there any chance that he should file a parallel claim for disability due to AO exposure?

Do you have his SRB and dates and places he served at? You have the 201- I forgot-

is there any potential at all for AO claim too?

The B 66 was a DOuglas Destroyer, a light bomber -during Vietnam War the RB66 was used for reconnaisance-I wonder if they sprayed the AO from it too while using it as recon plane- they sprayed AO from Helos and by hand so I wonder if they used it from reconnaisance planes too- why not- what better way to get good intelligence than obliterate the jungle-at same time-

Is there any way he might have an AO related disability?

This vet was 1959 and in England. I am preparing a letter to DRTA and wonder of wonders we found his radiation badge number in his papers so at least that proves he was around nukes. I am wondering what DRTA comes back with. I doubt very much that his badge was tracked and is available. The vet says the badge was only for "drastic" exposure and they were told it would not track small dose exposure. Appreciate your help and information. Q