VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Question On Rate

Rate this question

robert51

Question

I have applied for SSD in march of 04 and of course it went to appeal in July of 04 i have a lawyer and the SSD people said if i should win i will receive 1200 a month my question is i have 2 children one is n;ow 15 and the other is 17 at what rate will they pay me if i am awarded with 2 children.. i a also 70% IU and PT thanks bob

• Answers 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Robert

Your children can qualify for benefits if you are approved for SSDI. Here is the rule form SSA.

Each family member may be eligible for a monthly benefit of up to 50 percent of your disability rate. However, there is a limit to the total amount of money that can be paid to a family on your Social Security record. The limit varies, but it is between 150 and 180 percent of your disability benefit.

If the sum of the benefits payable on your account is greater than the family limit, the benefits to the family members will be reduced proportionately. Your benefit will not be affected.

If any of your qualified family members apply for benefits with you, we will ask you for their Social Security numbers and their birth certificates. If your spouse is applying for benefits, we also may ask for proof of marriage, and dates of prior marriages, if applicable.

SE

the amount varies from state to state, even though it is a federal program, when my wife got her SSDI, back in 1995, she got 525 a month, on her own record, and the two kids still in school at the time, got 161.00 a month total for both, which amount to about 29% not 50%, in some states you can get up to 50%, where (up to) is the words to go by.

thank you for taking the time to explain this to me .. i am from Oregon and at the time i applied only my son lived with me and the state said 1200 for me and 565 for him about that time my daughter came to live with me so i dont know the amount she will get or if the state is saying one or more children are 565 etc.. so thanks to both of you for the info..

Robert

I hope this clarifies what varies from State to State

Question

What is the difference between Social Security disability and SSI disability?

Answer

The Social Security Administration is responsible for two major programs that provide benefits based on disability: Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI), which is based on prior work under Social Security, and Supplemental Security Income (SSI). Under SSI, payments are made on the basis of financial need.

Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) is financed with Social Security taxes paid by workers, employers, and self-employed persons. To be eligible for a Social Security benefit, the worker must earn sufficient credits based on taxable work to be "insured" for Social Security purposes. Disability benefits are payable to blind or disabled workers, widow(er)s, or adults disabled since childhood, who are otherwise eligible. The amount of the monthly disability benefit is based on the Social Security earnings record of the insured worker.

Supplemental Security Income (SSI) is a program financed through general revenues. SSI disability benefits are payable to adults or children who are disabled or blind, have limited income and resources, meet the living arrangement requirements, and are otherwise eligible. The monthly payment varies up to the maximum federal benefit rate, which may be supplemented by the State or decreased by countable income and resources. See http://www.socialsecurity.gov/notices/supp...nefits-ussi.htm for an explanation of SSI benefit payment rates.

Raven

SSDI is based on your earnings. It will not change if your move. However if you receive a supplement from SSI or Medicade. It will change depending on your state of residence.

SE