Jump to content
Using an Ad Blocker? Consider adding HadIt.com as an exception. Hadit.com is funded through advertising, ad free memberships, contributions and out of pocket. ×
  • 0

Berta, Wings, Carlie And Others, Please Read And Make Suggestions

Guest Vietnam Tanker
This thread is over 365 days old and has been closed.

Please post your question as a New Topic by clicking this link and choosing which forum to post in.

For almost everything you are going to want to post in VA Claims Research.

If this is your first time posting. Take a moment and read our Guidelines. It will inform you of what is and isn't acceptable and tips on getting your questions answered. 


Remember, everyone who comes here is a volunteer. At one point, they went to the forums looking for information. They liked it here and decided to stay and help other veterans. They share their personal experience, providing links to the law and reference materials and support because working on your claim can be exhausting and beyond frustrating. 


This thread may still provide value to you and is worth at least skimming through the responses to see if any of them answer your question. Knowledge Is Power, and there is a lot of knowledge in older threads.




Guest Vietnam Tanker

I have been trying to find an after action report or any other reports like lessons Learned etc. from the Vietnam War. My attention span is really short and I can't remember what I am looking for or how to find it if it even exsists anymore. I was shot in the head on a convoy escort up highway 1 in the area between Trang Bang and Tay Ninh in december of 1968. I was awarded a PH for that wound. I have gone to the old units web site and posted a message looking for anyone who would remember this incident to no avail. I was assigned as the Tank Platoon Sgt for A company 2/34th Armor, 3d platoon, 25th Inf Div. out of Cu Chi in Nam.do not know what other information would help. Please feel free to contact me.

Edited by Vietnam Tanker
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Answers 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Recommended Posts

  • HadIt.com Elder

Hello John,

whats the NARA site or where is it?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest Vietnam Tanker

Allan, I am not even sure that NARA is the right place to search for these records. Some how I recall Berta and Carlie suggesting a site and I think it was NARA (National Records Center, it is in Virginia or Maryland if I am not mistaken.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • HadIt.com Elder




Obtaining Unit Records: Army

U.S. Army Personnel Rosters and Morning Reports:

National Personnel Records Center,

9700 Page Blvd., St. Louis, MO.

63132, 314-538-4261.

The request must be made in writing. State that the request is a Freedom of Information ActRequest and give complete unit information (as specific as possible including company and platoon), and month and year of the roster/reports that you are requesting. Because the quality of the records can be poor, it is advisable to ask for rosters a few months before and after the actual month you are looking for.

There are usually no fees charged for "Freedom of Information Act Requests."

Turnaround time can be very slow. Plan on several months.

Operations Reports/Lessons Learned (ORLL) and other primary source material about Army units in Vietnam such as radio logs, unit journals, and after action reports, are stored at:

Textual Reference Branch, National Archives II, 8601 Adelphi Road, College Park, MD 20740-6001, Tel. (301)-713-7250, fax 301-713-7482.

Call and ask to speak with an Archivist specializing in the Vietnam War before going to the Archives. They can assist in determining whether materials you are interested in are available and explain how to obtain a researcher's card to examine the documents.

Similar reference assistance may also be obtained from:

the U.S. Army Center for Military History,

1099 14th Street, NW,

Washington, DC 20005, 202-761-5413,

and the U.S. Army Military History Institute,

Bldg. 22, Upton Hall, Carlisle Barracks,

Carlisle, PA 17013-5008,

717-245-3611, fax 717-245-3711.

Obtaining Military Records: Army

Complete military and medical records, including DD-214s, can be obtained by veterans or their next of kin, if the veteran has died. Non relatives may also request this information, but what they will receive will be limited and will not include date of birth, official photo, records of court martial for active duty personnel, medical information, social security number, or present address. State that the request is being made under the Freedom of Information Act.

Requests for military records must be made on a government form, SF 180. This form is available on the Internet at http://www..va.gov/forms/index.htm Scroll to the bottom of the page, as the SF 180: Request Pertaining to Military Records is the last one listed. You may also call 314-538-4261 and leave a message to have a form sent to you.

You cannot request an entire file, each document must be named and only those named specifically will be provided. Names of documents include unit orders, awards and

commendations, efficiency reports and ratings, promotion orders, records of court martial or other disciplinary actions, assignment and reassignment orders, photographs, qualification records, and report of separation(DD-214).

When requesting medical records a statement should be included that they are needed by a current physician. If information is being requested regarding a specific injury or illness, that should be specified. If records regarding hospitalizations are needed, provide the dates that the hospitalization occurred and the name of the hospital.

Send the SF 180 to the National Personnel Records Center, 9700 Page Blvd., St. Louis, MO 63132-5100. Expect a significant waiting period before receiving the information.

Requests citing VA claims and medical emergencies receive priority.

Obtaining and Replacing Medals: Army

Form DD-214 and/or the awards and commendations document from the veteran's military records will list awards, commendations, and accompanying medals earned. Medals can be replaced by sending a copy of these documents and an accompanying request to:

Commander, U.S. Army Reserve Personnel Center, ATTN: DARP-PAS-EAW,

9700 Page Blvd., St. Louis, MO 63132-5200.


National Archives at College Park, Maryland


For records relating to U.S. Army units in Vietnam consult the Records of the United States Forces in Southeast Asia, 1950–1975, RG 472. These records consist mostly of unit organizational histories, after action reports, unit daily staff journals, and general orders. The files are arranged by unit, and identification of the unit is necessary before a search can be conducted.

They do not include personnel or medical information.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

John-did you ever get the actual citation for the PH?

This might well give more info-

Wings gave some great links John- did your web site have a reunion roster?

Some units have multiple sites-

Have you ever googled your CO's name at time of the GSW?

YUou could even write to the JSCCR yourself- this is the group who verifies combat stressors for the VA-

they might be able to help you- or refer you to the best place for help-

I sure would think the actual PH citation would be specific.


U.S. Army and Joint Services Records Research Center

7701 Telegraph Road

Kingman Building, Room 2 CO8

Alexandria , Va. 22315-3802


If this is to prove TBI in service- with no other etiology- -like you didnt have any major auto accident or on the job accident-post service- the VA would have hard time saying it was not due to your service experiences as combat vet.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest Vietnam Tanker


The PH Citation only reads "for wounds received in connection with military operations against a hostile force" THE ORDERS WERE ISSUED BY DEPARTMENT OF THE ARMY, HEADQUATERS, 25TH INFANTRY DIVISION APO SAN FRANCISCO 96225, ACTION ON 8 JUNE 1968 THE ORDER # IS GENERAL ORDER 4341 DATED 12 JUNE 1968. There is no indication of the actual incident or any other description. Only the Award of the Purple Heart (First Oak Leaf Cluster)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • veterans-crisis-line.jpg
    The Veterans Crisis Line can help even if you’re not enrolled in VA benefits or health care.


  • Advertisemnt

  • question-001.jpegLooking for Answers? Here are tips for finding the answers you seek.


    All VA Claims questions should be posted on our forums. To post, you must register. Registration is free. You can register for a free account here.


    You can read the forums without registering.


    Tips on posting on the forums.

    1. Post a clear title like ‘Need help preparing PTSD claim’ or “VA med center won’t schedule my surgery” instead of ‘I have a question.
    2. Knowledgeable people who don’t have time to read all posts may skip yours if your need isn’t clear in the title. I don’t read all posts every login and will gravitate towards those I have more info on.
    3. Use paragraphs instead of one massive, rambling introduction or story. Again – You want to make it easy for others to help. If your question is buried in a monster paragraph, there are fewer who will investigate to dig it out.


    Leading to:


    Post straightforward questions and then post background information.


    • A. I was previously denied for apnea – Should I refile a claim?
      • Adding Background information in your post will help members understand what information you are looking for so they can assist you in finding it.
    • I was diagnosed with apnea in service and received a CPAP machine, but the claim was denied in 2008. Should I refile?
    • B. I may have PTSD- how can I be sure?
      • See how the details below give us a better understanding of what you’re claiming.
        • I was involved in a traumatic incident on base in 1974 and have had nightmares ever since, but I did not go to mental health while enlisted. How can I get help?


    This gives members a starting point to ask clarifying questions like “Can you post the Reasons for Denial from your claim?” etc.




    • Your first posts on the board may be delayed before they appear as they are reviewed.
    • This process does not take long.
    • Your first posts on the board may be delayed before they appear as they are reviewed. The review requirement will usually be removed by the 6th post. However, we reserve the right to keep anyone on moderator preview.
    • This process allows us to remove spam and other junk posts before hitting the board. We want to keep the focus on VA Claims, and this helps us do that.
  • Most Common VA Disabilities Claimed for Compensation:   


  • Advertisemnt

  • VA Watchdog

  • Advertisemnt

  • Ads

  • Can a 100 percent Disabled Veteran Work and Earn an Income?

    employment 2.jpeg

    You’ve just been rated 100% disabled by the Veterans Affairs. After the excitement of finally having the rating you deserve wears off, you start asking questions. One of the first questions that you might ask is this: It’s a legitimate question – rare is the Veteran that finds themselves sitting on the couch eating bon-bons … Continue reading

  • Create New...

Important Information

{terms] and Guidelines