VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Ptsd "in House" Treatment

Rate this question

pete

Question

Hello, would those of you in the know please give me your opinions of going to the ptsd treatment programs? The ones where you actually go into the facility for an extended period of time. What are they trying to accomplish? What actually happens in there? Is there a particular program better than others? A particular hospital better than others? Thanks.

• Answers 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

4 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder
Hello, would those of you in the know please give me your opinions of going to the ptsd treatment programs? The ones where you actually go into the facility for an extended period of time. What are they trying to accomplish? What actually happens in there? Is there a particular program better than others? A particular hospital better than others? Thanks.

I have no pesonal experience with inpatient, but here is a contact page where you might compare treatment centers http://www.ncptsd.va.gov/about/divisions/nepec/index.html I would e-mail them and ask for current operating status and locations. Other folks here may be able to share on a more personal note! Good luck!

Pete- many of my local vets have gone through the Buffalo NY PTSD program and felt it helped and their experience was very positive.

I feel that VA excells in most of these programs.

My husband a long time ago was very fearful of this program. After spending 21 days at the PTSD lock down-which is really crapola-(1992) dont know if they still do that- it is basically to keep wannabees away and anyone who would distract the vet from the program-

my husband really felt that he had gotten a lot off his chest about Nam and there was great comradery with the other vets. The Med and therapy team was Excellent!

And they took some trips but he got lost on one trip and had to call me and describe the surroundings-

As he was describing the street in Buffalo (he had visual problems and could not read the street sign) the VA counselor suddenly appeared,took the phone, and told me he was OK.

His only complaint when he got home was that- he spent a year in Hell and 21 days cannot debrief a year in Hell. He wished he could have stayed in the program for 11 more months.

Good Luck with this- I have never heard a negative report on any VA PTSD in house program from any veteran. Berta

After years of fighting, with myself. I gave in and went to Denver VA PTSD inhouse program. It was over 400 miles from my home. My experience was more than I could have ever hoped for. I recieved the best help from the other guys, going through the program. There were two GREAT doc's there, both Vietnam vets. It seemed to me, that those of us that traveled the longest to get there had the best results. Because of time and distance, we lived the program 24/7. Those that lived in te Denver area, had to go home, at night. Too the same old stuff, they were trying to get away from. We did have two or three guys that lived,in the Denver area that did stay in the hospital. They did good like wise. It's been over three years, now. Most of us are still in touch. In fact talked with one of yesterday.

I would do it all over again.

Larry Jones 100% SC PTSD T&P.

I wish Fargo had a VA PTSD inhouse program, and if they do, no one ever told me about it, in the 36 years, I have been going there, and I am also 100% schedular PTSD P&T. I just found out about vet centers about ten years ago, but all meetings are at night, and I don't drive at night especially in the winter time, which usually lasts about 8 months out of year in MN, or the way it seems.