VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Retro Pay Just Got It

Rate this question

maxwell18

Question

I was reading a article on the internet about the VA just paid all back pay up to date,this was yesterday. I called the 800 number and the person said the check was mailed yesterday. I asked don't they direct deposit it? She said no for some reason they mailed it. Guess what I got it today the check $7524.00 for back pay CRDP. After about 30 phones calls to DFAS and the VA, many e mails and letters i got it.....Now I'm going to start on the rest of back for 100% ratings that were back dated making me 100% P&T and year earlier then the last claim date....

• Answers 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Maxwell, I wasn't attacking your post, and I'm glad you got your retro. But I've been reading from a number of sources in the last few weeks that DFAS was all caught up with the retro payments, and that's simply not the case. It's just another example of why we should not believe everything we read. And even if you were "sticking up for the VA" as you put it, that would be fine. You're entitled to your opinion, whatever it is.

I just don't want people to get the impression that the retro pay issue has been entirely resolved, regardless of what the media reports, when just the opposite is true.

This is maxwell, one thing I did learn is to use e mail with the va. They have 5 days to answer your e mail. It has worked for me lately, don't always get the information or answer you want. just a suggestion....

I retired in Feb 07. I've been trying to get answers since my award notice in July 07. After many calls, emails, some answered and some not, by both VA and DFAS, I still haven't been paid. The DFAS technician I spoke to last (yesterday) said that the problem is in the VA's data center in Hines Illinois. I was also told it was the SLC-06 file. They've been trying to get the data files from VA for a while but for some reason the VA is slow rolling the data. Probably because they can't afford to pay everyone at once. I'm sure there is a huge backlog. Hopefully with the new fiscal year, there might be a surge in payments, but I am not counting on it. It appears that DFAS is caught up, but definitely not VA. I'm waiting two more weeks before I call again. I don't know if it would do any good to get a congressional going, with the elections around the corner. It's not the folks who take the calls, they've been very helpful. I keep waiting...

My husband received a letter today that there was a programming error in the SLC-06 that the VARO was to have provided to DFAS, but didn't. Our letter to the Office of the VA General Counsel, sent through the local office of our U.S. Senator, "prompted an audit" according to the letter that found the error. In this case, my husband is owed over $18,000 in CRDP which we supposedly will see December 1st. Two years waiting, and we'd still be waiting if we hadn't been pushed to such an extreme action.

So anyone out there still waiting who's been waiting for awhile -- if you're told that the VARO never sent the SLC-06 file on you confirming your disability status, you may consider doing what we did. DFAS is all caught up on the backlog, so it's not their fault. However, they told us that their hands are tied without that SLC-06 file, and you can't count on the VARO to scrutinize the situaton to catch their own errors, they just won't do it.