VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

What Does Probably Mean In Nexus Statement?

Rate this question

Rockhound

Question

I was looking at the Nexus form that was posted on Hadit here and in the boxes where it lists, "Related to", & "At least as likely as not related to"' it also lists, " Possibly related to." I have the results of a neuropsychiatric exam that states that indicated I have both a cognitive depression disorder and a cognitive personality disorder/syndrome that is probably due to the head injury I sustained in service.

Shouldn't the nexus statement form conform to the VA standards and read thusly, "less Likely than," "as likely as," & " more likely than"?

Why can't the Dr's and examiners use this form of language, and why don't they? They know that an injury occured, because of the medical records clearly show it, and it is even shown backed up by a fracture of the nasal bone from a fall, further that a minor concussion was diagnosed supported by an EEG test. also that their was a short period of unconciousness and a period of retrograde amnesia of the time before the injury.

Why then must they use a seperate language, such as Probably or possibly, and if they do, what weight do they carry as apposed to the more formal and definite statements used in VA claims?

The use of these seperate languages only make it necessary for us to seek out private IMO, so that the language can then be formalized to meet the VA Claims standards, so that our claims can have at least a fighting chance of winning.

I am frustrated that now, once again, in order for me to win my claim, I must once again be forced to pay out of my own pocket for an IMO who will be willing to write an opinion that uses the VA's claims more formal nexus statement language.

Right now I am waiting on an appointment with a Neurologist, to see what he will do for me after review of my latest neuropsychiatric exam results and whether or not he will concure with the findings and give me a statement to put in my medical files that is probative to my claim and not some statement that continues to say my head injury may have been the cause or was probably the cause

Where does probably stand for anyway, is it less than 50%, equal-50/50%, or is it greater than 50%? Is their some Precident Opinion on this somewhere?

Rockhound Rider :lol:

• Answers 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Hey my name is Rob! To tell you a little about my case!  In 1997 , I was diagnosed with large B cell lymphoma can in my chest above my heart! Which requred 2 yrs of aggressive chemotherapy and 1 yr of radiation. Which also , I was medically retired from military. In 2015, i had an heart attack. The cardiologist put in my nexis letter heart attack was probably secondary to chemorherapy and radiation. My doctor put in his closing that chemo was believed to be the causative agents. Im stressing out. How do anyone think this will fly with VA. I never knew nothing about this VA wording ! Probably is a very strong word in the dictionary. Rock let me know your case turned out!  My email address rcktkay@ gmail.com . Should i try to get my VA doctor to write me a nexus letter? Help! Help ! HELP

Edited by Rob K
Personal info added

I agree that this should have conformed to the wording VA always uses-

Probably is much strionger than possibly or maybe-

In my opinion it should be considered as more likely than not-if not considered the same value as at least as likely or not-

I would highlight this statement to the VA if I were you and attach to it any good printout of what probably means-like this one:

http://medical-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/probable

there are 'probably' sorry bout that many more better definitions than the one I linked here.

If the dow might probably go down again or if a virus will probably give school age kids many colds-

it seems to me that any example of probably would indicate there is definite nexus between two things.

I would bring a copy of that statement to the Neuro doctor if I were you.

I agree that this should have conformed to the wording VA always uses-

Probably is much strionger than possibly or maybe-

In my opinion it should be considered as more likely than not-if not considered the same value as at least as likely or not-

I would highlight this statement to the VA if I were you and attach to it any good printout of what probably means-like this one:

http://medical-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/probable

there are 'probably' sorry bout that many more better definitions than the one I linked here.

If the dow might probably go down again or if a virus will probably give school age kids many colds-

it seems to me that any example of probably would indicate there is definite nexus between two things.

I would bring a copy of that statement to the Neuro doctor if I were you.

Thanks Berta: I plan to make sure the Neuro doctor sees this statement in the summery of my neuropsychiatric exam results. I want a more definite answer than just probably. I don't want the VARO to ignor it as meaningless, which I am sure they will, compaired to what a C&P examiner might say.

Berta: Are you probably trying to confuse me? LoL LoL LoL. How the heck am I supposed to determine where on the line from point "0" to point "1" my probably statement lies?

0____________.5_____________1

I can't very well take the test over again so soon, I would know how to scew the test in my favor, at least I think I could.

I guess that is why I need more tests to quantify that I do have congnitive dysfunction and that it is related to my brain injury in service, but can I expect the VA Neuro Doctor to give such an opinion? The best I have been able to get is a maybe, probably, or sorry, that is for the VA C&P Examiner to determine.

I guess what the definition of probably is that there needs to be other supporting evidence when added to the equation would then have someone believe one way or another, less than or more than.

It's seems I am in a waiting game once again, as I wait for an appointment with a Nero Doctor and then see what he does and says.

p.s. Just thought of this. Maybe I should show the Neuro Doctor the probability line and ask him where he thinks my neuropsychiatric exam results put me. If at the time he can only put it slightly in the negative, then I guess I should find out what he needs to move it into the positive side between .5 and 1. I guess I answer part of my question.

Edited by Rockhound

• HadIt.com Elder

Regular VA doctors don't know much about what the VBA wants in terms of nexus statements or they may know an shy away from using those terms. Some VA doctors want no part of the compensation process.

• HadIt.com Elder

If this is from a C&P, the rater will most likely kick it back to the examiner and ask for a clarification in BVA terms. If this is something that you acquired on your own, either throught the VA or a civilian doc, you need to print off the nexus form and take it back to them to fill out in exact VA language. The term "probably" doesn't carry very much (if any at all) weight in a rating decision. These things are pretty black and white, and they want the language that they understand and nothing else.