Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Psych Doctor's Advice

Rate this question

SouthernBelle

Question

• HadIt.com Elder

I just got off the phone with my husband's psych doctor and he says my husband should drop school. It is too much stress and he just can't handle it. What do yall think? Dropping school would be good and bad at the same time. On the one hand, he'd lose that income, on the other, it further proves his condition. The doctor is going to write a statement and give it to the Voc Rehab counselor, and send me the same statement so I can send it to the VARO. Would that help? Just let me know what yall think.

I guess this negates my excuse for not filing for SSDI. I'll fill out that paperwork tonight.

Edited by SouthernBelle

• Answers 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

I'm finishing up 6 hrs (2 ea 3 hr courses) that I feel I need before starting law school. I've already aced my LSAT...............all over the internet.

Absolutely less stress than going the "conventional" route.

Anyway, that would be a method whereby your husband could continue his education without having to expose himself to the stress (or the "failure feeling") that he is obviously feeling.

• HadIt.com Elder

Larry, have I mentioned that you're amazing? Everyone here is amazing. We're seriously considering that route now, but his Voc Rehab counselor doesn't like "online stuff" so maybe now he'll be more friendly to the idea.

I'm finishing up 6 hrs (2 ea 3 hr courses) that I feel I need before starting law school. I've already aced my LSAT...............all over the internet.

Absolutely less stress than going the "conventional" route.

Anyway, that would be a method whereby your husband could continue his education without having to expose himself to the stress (or the "failure feeling") that he is obviously feeling.

• HadIt.com Elder

Awwww, shucks, yur makin' me blush!

But, I can understand whereby his counselor comes up with a reluctance to go along with an online education.....................for, when they first started this online degree stuff, there were just a bunch of unrecognized, non-accredited, yahoos, guaranteeing you a "college degree in 30 days, everyone accepted", you know......you saw them also, all over the internet.

But, that was then, this is now. What with Loyola, UMass, University of California (UCIrvine), Penn State, Boston U and SEVERAL other VERY well respected degree-granting institutions having gotten "on board" the online education program capability of the internet........then his/her hestitation does nothing except outline his/her lack of knowledge about what's now available.

Get online and look at some of the degree programs that are available, talk it over with hubby and see where his main interest lies, then lay out a "workable" plan of attack.

I know that my wife-type-personage is busy at this very moment, on her notebook, in the big middle of our bed in the other room......filling out apps for University of Pennsylvania's Masters in Public Health with a concentration in Health Informatics. Yup, some amazing strides have been made in online education in just the last 4-5 years and we've come a lonnnng way from "If you can draw this rabbit, then we have a degree in art just waiting for you.....!"

• HadIt.com Elder

My former university was big online, too. I went to University of Maryland while living in Germany, and the online stuff worked really well for me, since I was also a high school student. I went to school during the day, worked at the PMO until 7:00 and then went home and did college work. I was busy back then. The voc rebab counselor is not the kindest man.... so he's not that easy to talk to. I once walked in there and put him in his place, and then he (finally) got put into classes. Until I (nearly) got in his face, he did nothing but talk in circles, and still tries to talk in circles to me. I don't put up with it.

Awwww, shucks, yur makin' me blush!

But, I can understand whereby his counselor comes up with a reluctance to go along with an online education.....................for, when they first started this online degree stuff, there were just a bunch of unrecognized, non-accredited, yahoos, guaranteeing you a "college degree in 30 days, everyone accepted", you know......you saw them also, all over the internet.

But, that was then, this is now. What with Loyola, UMass, University of California (UCIrvine), Penn State, Boston U and SEVERAL other VERY well respected degree-granting institutions having gotten "on board" the online education program capability of the internet........then his/her hestitation does nothing except outline his/her lack of knowledge about what's now available.

Get online and look at some of the degree programs that are available, talk it over with hubby and see where his main interest lies, then lay out a "workable" plan of attack.

I know that my wife-type-personage is busy at this very moment, on her notebook, in the big middle of our bed in the other room......filling out apps for University of Pennsylvania's Masters in Public Health with a concentration in Health Informatics. Yup, some amazing strides have been made in online education in just the last 4-5 years and we've come a lonnnng way from "If you can draw this rabbit, then we have a degree in art just waiting for you.....!"

• HadIt.com Elder

Well, I am really enjoying these last couple of classes that I am taking....realizing that I'm under no pressure to either complete them or not has made me even that more determined TO complete them.

The last time I took a stab at lawyerin'........well, I spent more time AT the bar, than I did STUDYING for the bar. But, that was 30....no, wait, 35 years ago and people change, thank G-d!

Besides, I'm a lot smarter now than I was then (I'm a vociferous reader and an extra 35 years of reading 20 - 40 hours a week.........sheeesh, I oughta be, if only by osmosis.

• HadIt.com Elder

I am a big reader too. I started Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil yesterday and I'm almost done. I've got about 50 pages left. I read the entire Outlander series in two weeks. Those are LONG books. I also like Civil War and WWII books, provided they're historically acurate. The Outlander series was, for the most part. I'm going back to school for a history degree. For a long time I wanted to be a psychiatrist, then I started living with a "psych patient" and I realized I would always take my work home, and that wouldn't help anybody. History, I can handle taking home, patients, not so much. Also, I am in LOVE with history, specifically, Southern History and the ways the South has changed and yet remained the same. I'll get off that soapbox, but I'll say this: History is something I'm passionate about, as well as reading just about any book I can get my hands on; and you have to know where you've been to know where you're going.

Well, I am really enjoying these last couple of classes that I am taking....realizing that I'm under no pressure to either complete them or not has made me even that more determined TO complete them.

The last time I took a stab at lawyerin'........well, I spent more time AT the bar, than I did STUDYING for the bar. But, that was 30....no, wait, 35 years ago and people change, thank G-d!

Besides, I'm a lot smarter now than I was then (I'm a vociferous reader and an extra 35 years of reading 20 - 40 hours a week.........sheeesh, I oughta be, if only by osmosis.