Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Use Of Civilian Phyciatrists

Rate this question

kookiebean2001

Question

Anyone use a phyciatrist in a non post tramatic stress syndrome claim. Attorney says with my lack of sight, I would be surprised how much it effects other different areas of my life (for example my vision problems effect my social skills, learning, playing sports, etc.) My attorney wants to use a phyciatrist to help further my claim. I said ok until the phyciatrist quoted me $1500.00. Not sure if it's a waste of time and money.

Please no negative feedback necessary !

A man who won't die for something is not fit to live. Martin Luther King, Jr.

1. Faith is the ability to not panic.

2. If you worry, you didn't pray. If you pray, don't worry.

3. As a child of God, prayer is kind of like calling home every day.

4. Blessed are the flexible, for they shall not be bent out of shape.

5. When we get tangled up in our problems, be still. God wants us to be still so He can untangle the knot.

6. Do the math. Count your blessings.

7. God wants spiritual fruit, not religious nuts.

8. Dear God: I have a problem. It's me.

9. Silence is often misinterpreted, but never misquoted.

10. Laugh every day, it's like inner jogging.

11. The most important things in your home are the people.

12. Growing old is inevitable, growing up is optional.

13. There is no key to happiness. The door is always open.

14. A grudge is a heavy thing to carry.

15. He who dies with the most toys is still dead.

16. We do not remember days, but moments. Life moves too fast, so enjoy your precious moments.

17. Nothing is real to you until you experience it, otherwise it's just hearsay.

18. It's all right to sit on your pity pot every now and again. Just be sure to flush when you are done.

19. Surviving and living your life successfully requires courage. The goals and dreams you're seeking require courage and risk-taking. Learn from the turtle -- it only makes progress when it sticks out its neck.

20. Be more concerned with your character than your reputation. Your character is what you really are while your reputation is merely what others think you are.

• Answers 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Itate90. As stated in my previous reply, the civilian psychiatrist's IMO helped with the SSDI award (the IMO it was my only evidence). Due to my VA claim being remanded for a mental health C&P examination, I question how effective the IMO was in that case. Since my civilain psychiatrist had worked at the VAMC years ago as a resident he had no problem writing the IMO. As for testing, he included my behavioral funtioning tests, the results of some written mental health / reasoning tests and my office visit my records. Good luck

MARINEVET,

HOW DID YOUR CIVILIAN PSYCHIATRIST HELP YOU OUT. I WILL BE SEEING ONE IN THE NEXT WEEK OR SO. WAS IT EASY FOR YOUR CIVILIAN DR. TO WRITE LETTERS PERTAINING TO YOUR LIMITATIONS AND DID YOU GET THEM TO FILL OUT A RESIDUAL FUNCTIONAL CAPICITY FORM (RFC). IT SEEMS LIKE YOU HAVE TO BREAK THE VA NECK TO GET SOMETHING WRITTEN OUT IN YOUR PROGRESS NOTES. HELP ME OUT ON THIS SUBJECT, IT SEEMS LIKE I'LL BE WAITING A WHILE B4 I GET TO SEE A ALJ. ANY ADVICE YOU HAVE OR ANY OTHER MEMBER HAVE WILL HELP OUT THE CAUSE.

I would not hire a lawyer if I was going to second guess him. If he says a shrink will help he is probably right. Now as far as the cost that you can negotiate. Lawyers who have experience with VA claims just like SSD claims know how the system works. That is what you are paying for is their knowledge of the system. Yes, in my opinion a civilian shrink who knows what he is doing regarding VA claims is better because you can control his input to some extent. With VA you can't. He might put something in the record that could hurt your claim. I won my mental claim using all civilian shrinks (three of them). VA shrinks were most unhelpful.

Thank You all for your input

A man who won't die for something is not fit to live. Martin Luther King, Jr.

1. Faith is the ability to not panic.

2. If you worry, you didn't pray. If you pray, don't worry.

3. As a child of God, prayer is kind of like calling home every day.

4. Blessed are the flexible, for they shall not be bent out of shape.

5. When we get tangled up in our problems, be still. God wants us to be still so He can untangle the knot.

6. Do the math. Count your blessings.

7. God wants spiritual fruit, not religious nuts.

8. Dear God: I have a problem. It's me.

9. Silence is often misinterpreted, but never misquoted.

10. Laugh every day, it's like inner jogging.

11. The most important things in your home are the people.

12. Growing old is inevitable, growing up is optional.

13. There is no key to happiness. The door is always open.

14. A grudge is a heavy thing to carry.

15. He who dies with the most toys is still dead.

16. We do not remember days, but moments. Life moves too fast, so enjoy your precious moments.

17. Nothing is real to you until you experience it, otherwise it's just hearsay.

18. It's all right to sit on your pity pot every now and again. Just be sure to flush when you are done.

19. Surviving and living your life successfully requires courage. The goals and dreams you're seeking require courage and risk-taking. Learn from the turtle -- it only makes progress when it sticks out its neck.

20. Be more concerned with your character than your reputation. Your character is what you really are while your reputation is merely what others think you are.

• HadIt.com Elder

I may be wrong about this but a new Doc has to show me something before I open up besides how is the weather ect. In other words I need to have some trust in the Doc so my first appointment we talk about credentials and meds and that is about it.

Just my opinion some Docs just are to creepy for me to be comfortable with and some I feel good with. Its sort of an intuition thing for me

Veterans deserve real choice for their health care.