Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Sniper School

Rate this question

gdsnide

Question

OK. Since I was in the Navy I know nothing about either topic I am asking about but met a guy today I think who is a wanna be as he told me he went to both of them in Germany.

I did read a book about Carlos Hancock who had 99 confirmed kills in Viet Nam but can't recall for sure where the Sniper School was at but am sure they were in the US

Also, I'm not sure if he was Army or Marine.

Thank U

GARY

gdsnide

• Answers 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Hello Gary. Carlos Hancock was a Marine Sniper and if I recall correctly, the Marine Sniper School is located at Marine Corps Base, Quantico Virginia. Someone who served in the Army may be able to attest to the period of time this person may or may not have trained in Germany.

OK. Since I was in the Navy I know nothing about either topic I am asking about but met a guy today I think who is a wanna be as he told me he went to both of them in Germany.

I did read a book about Carlos Hancock who had 99 confirmed kills in Viet Nam but can't recall for sure where the Sniper School was at but am sure they were in the US

Also, I'm not sure if he was Army or Marine.

Thank U

GARY

• HadIt.com Elder

Well, I wasn't in the Army......but, if I had been, I wouldn't have gone to "jump school" in GERMANY, or snipe school, either. Of course, this person coulda been in the GERMAN Army :angry:

U. S. Army "jump school" = Fort Benning, GA

U. S. Army "sniper school" = Camp Perry (or it used to be there, I participated in several "inter-service" markmanship competitions at Camp Perry, back when).

"It is cold and we have no blankets.

The little children are freezing to death.

My people, some of them, have run away to the hills, and have no blankets, no food; no one knows where they are-perhaps freezing to death.

I want to have time to look for my children and see how many of them I can find.

Maybe I shall find them among the dead.

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired; my heart is sick and sad.

From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever."

Chief Joseph

Saw the post and thought I'd add my two cent.

I was stationed in Vilseck with 1/6 INF 3ID. In '91 or '92 we had sniper school ran in Grafenvehr.

Also, there was an opportunity to jump with the German reserves. I don't remember the details but I don't recall it being a "Jump school". I think it was similar to what we had in Honduras. You could jump with them and get some trinket.

11B & 11M 1991 to 1994
35E, L & B 1995 to JUN2012
Germany, Honduras, Guatemala, Panama, Nicaragua, Columbia, SW Asia
TDRL 70% - JUN2012
17.8yrs AD, 21.5 total
973 days for initial VA claim
Current VA Status: 100%
"May the soldier be in heaven a half hour before the devil knows he's dead"

Saw the post and thought I'd add my two cent.

I was stationed in Vilseck with 1/6 INF 3ID. In '91 or '92 we had sniper school ran in Grafenvehr.

Also, there was an opportunity to jump with the German reserves. I don't remember the details but I don't recall it being a "Jump school". I think it was similar to what we had in Honduras. You could jump with them and get some trinket.

Agree --- from my time in service in Germany 83-88 one could go to sniper school in Graf and could attend the German Jump School. Upon completion you were awarded the German Jump Wings which I think was officially reconized by the Army. Sooooooo one could say they attended jump school in Germany ----Same with Air Assualt as they had an AA school at Schofield Barracks. It is good that you have questioned his credentials, however, although things sometimes sound corny they might just be valid.

• HadIt.com Elder

You can still get German (and other) jump wings. The US Army Parachute School is at Benning, though. They have Air Assault schools all over the place. I didn't know about the sniper school in Germany, though. If a soldier goes through that school, are they qualified to be billeted as a sniper?

90%, TDIU P&T