Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Berta-treated By A Medic

Rate this question

SouthernBelle

Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Berta, you reminded me of a question I've had for a while. My husband was treated by a medic for his kidneys during training, and during the Gulf War. We can't find ANY records of it. Not in his SMR's or any other records we have. He was quite bad off during the war. (Not to give too many details, but he was peeing what looked like tomato juice) We have his records AFTER he got out of the military, but the ones from while in service have "mysteriously disappeared" and because they're missing, we can't file a claim for his kidney problems. They don't fall into the Gulf War Illness category. His kidneys were injured while in service. We also haven't been able to locate any of his old buddies. Is there anything we can do to prove that his kidney problems started in service?

We should be angry, but kind; demanding, but polite; and firm but soft-spoken.

SouthernBelle

• Answers 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Did you request his SMRs yourself from NARA?

Other that that I would sure keep trying to find a buddy-

was his CO aware of his kidney problems?

Was this mentioned at all on his discharge certificate?

Sometimes these COs, medics, and buddys can be googled-and found.

GRADUATE ! Nov 2nd 2007 American Military University !

When thousands of Americans faced annihilation in the 1800s Chief

Osceola's response to his people, the Seminoles, was

simply "They(the US Army)have guns, but so do we."

Sameo to us -They (VA) have 38 CFR ,38 USC, and M21-1- but so do we.

• HadIt.com Elder

We have his SMRs, we got them from NARA ourselves. Nothing was mentioned on his DD 214. There is a very small notation on one of his psych visit notes. It says, "Veteran reports problems with kidneys and recurring ankle fractures" NEITHER was looked into further or investigated or referred to again. He can only remember two people he served with (stupid memory problems!) and one of them, he doesn't even know his real name, they all called him Timex. Any suggestions for finding these buddies without knowing their names? He just can't remember.

Did you request his SMRs yourself from NARA?

Other that that I would sure keep trying to find a buddy-

was his CO aware of his kidney problems?

Was this mentioned at all on his discharge certificate?

Sometimes these COs, medics, and buddys can be googled-and found.

We should be angry, but kind; demanding, but polite; and firm but soft-spoken.

SouthernBelle

• HadIt.com Elder

Wow, Glad to hear you are fine Berta! The topic had me on edge. We really appreciate all your clear wisdom here at Hadit; please stay healthy!

SouthernBelle, the medical records would be most concrete for the VA to make a correct rating decision. If you have the unit and dates of assignment, that could help. Then have your husband try to write his story down, sometimes the mind simply needs a trigger to get helpful details out. Or record his story, then replay it for help.

I dont know how the VA considers no records exactly, I just dont know where I read 'reconstructing the story'. Say if he can support his condition is through a narrative, along with a IMO or PCP exam. Basically reconstructing the story best as possible. If I am guessin right, Hospital or medical clinics are pretty stationary even in deployed areas, so even if the medic was loosely 'out in the field' there would have been a 'unit' for them to be assigned to. Thats a long shot, but all I can think of just now.

best to ya,

Cg

For my children, my God sent husband and my Hadit family of veterans, I carry on.

God Bless A m e r i c a, Her Veterans and their Families!

Just a thought. If you only requested his SMR, then you should put in another request for his military service and/or personel records. Their may be helpful information in them to help you further search or document his kidney problem or locate people for buddy statements.

Rockhound Rider :lol:

Are you a paranoid schizophrenic

if the ones you think are out to

get you, really are?

• In Memoriam

When I requested my C-File, from the VA, I found my SMR's were within the file. When I requested the records from the NPRC, in St. Louis, I only got a few of the records and these records were not complete.

I was so out-of-it in the early 70's, that I guess I filed a claim in which the records were put in my C-File. The SMR's from my C-file helped prove my claims in 2007. If you have had a prior claim, evidence could already be in your C-file even though VSO's back then did not use them properly.

Stretch

Just readin the mail

Excerpt from the 'Declaration of Independence'

We have appealed to their native justice and magnanimity, and we have conjured them by the ties of our common kindred to disavow these usurpations, which, would inevitably interrupt our connections and correspondence. They too have been deaf to the voice of justice and of consanguinity

SouthernBelle,

Very interesting post.

I was trying to think of ways those files could be located. Do you know the exact date or a date near the time treatment was given? It could be possible the information is written,,, worded,,, and documented in a specific way. If you can find those "near dates of occurrence," something could be there.

Tayo