Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Sarcoidosis Due To Deck Grinding

Rate this question

roadking

Question

Hello all, I was wondering if any other navy vet has been diagnosed with sarcoidosis, I was diagnosed with it several years after being discharged. I do not have a family history of it, and for that matter never even new what it was. I was doing some reserch on it and found several studies linking it to anti skid material used on ships. I was exposed to tons of the stuff when stationed on the JFK CV 67 in the ship yards they grinded the flight deck and hanger bay and I can remember clouds of the stuff and it going through the ventilation system. I did put a claim in for it with records from when I was hospitalized for it and also submitted the studies that the navy had done on the effects of anti skid grindings. I was denied SC for it and was wondering if anyone else had the same problem.

• Answers 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

You probably used this information from the Dept OF VA regarding sarcoidosis in Navy personnel:

http://74.125.45.132/search?q=cache:HpOOZwnQ9RYJ:www1.va.gov/environagents/docs/IL-10-2007-001_Sarcoid.pdf+Sarcoidosis+anti+skid+grindings&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=1&gl=us&ie=UTF-8&client=safari

"5) Possible association between disease and exposure to deck-grinding abrasives"

What was the exact reason the VA denied the claim?

I found many claims similiar at the BVA but have not found one that succeeded yet.

Did you have any supportive medical opinion to show that more than likely your sarcoidosis was due to exposure to the anti skid grindings?

Did the VA consider all of your evidence in the decision?

Was your Navy MOS consistent with exposure to the grindings?

Did you appeal the decision within one year?

I found out I had Sarcoidosis during my retirement physical in 2002 and currently rated at 30% for it. I don't understand why you were denied SC because when I do research on the internet, it's more prominent in Navy Vets than Army Vets. I have never been hospitalized for it, so your case is more serious than mine. If there's anything I can assist you with, please let me know.

• HadIt.com Elder

It would be interesting to know their excuse to deny.

Likely they didn't read the evidence or provide weight to the favorable C&P opinion.

My underlying disease is sarcoid. The cardio and neurological effects are my main delimiting factors for my health. I am R1 rating. Reggie White and Bernie Mac's sudden deaths have helped to bring publicity to the severe disabilities that this disease can bring. See for instance http://www.chicagotribune.com/features/lif...0,5966562.story An article in 'Brain' magazine was brought to my attention by a VA neurologist that helped me get my original 100%. Then I read a BVA or CVA file where a sailor was discharged over 10 years and won S/C for sarcoid, even though the VA only allows year for presumptive S/C for this chronic disease. Good luck in your research, Google should be your new best friend. I am at a Staples wifi hotspot while traveling back home to Florida, or would find that 'Brain' article for you.

888**Sorry tried to edit, then messed up. My comment is: I was diagnosed with asymptomatic sarcoidosis 13 yrs after release active duty. It was discovered on routine chest xray infecting lymph nodes on lungs during knee surgery physical. Did have surgical biopsy, never needed any treatment, went away on it's own. Unknown etiology. Also, did notice something somewhere that sarcoidosis is somewhat common with Navy Aviation Structural mechanics. I was Marine aviation. Never filed anything requesting sc for sarcoid. I did work with a small fire department and another fireman was diagnosed with sarcoidosis a few years before I was.(??) *I will research and post a copy or info if I can still find the article pertaining to Navy aviation structural mechanics developing sarcoidosis.

Edited by vmo

I too am a Navy Vet who was diagnosed with Sarcoidosis, but it was about 30 years after my time in service. The person who said his sarcoidosis went away has been given some wrong information.

Sarcoidosis will go into remission or will stabilize, but it never really goes away. It can remit or become active again at any time in your life.

The VA uses the fact that there is very little known about this disease and what its exact cause is from, to deny Veterans SC for it. The fact that you can be exposed to something like the skid paint dust aboard ship and not have any signs and symptoms of Sarcoidosis for many years afterwards only goes to show how insidious this disease is. It can affect any organ, lymph node, cross the brain barier, nerve tissue, connective tissue and cause arthritic like problems with every joint in you body. Not every case is the same and at the present time their is no known cure, although their are two different schools of thought for its treatment. Prednizone/Steroids is one and a coctail of a antibiotic and other drugs is another. Steroids will slow the progression of an active case, and the other appears to alleviate the symptoms and progression, but is a life long treatment and not yet widely accepted by the general medical populace, since the effects of long term use of this antibiotics is not yet known

I'm currently rated at 30% NSC for Sarcoidosis and it effects my joints and connective tissue along with nerve involvement, all of which cause me a considerable amount of pain and inflamation. My Sarcoidosis is listed as stable but still active in that none of my symptoms have gotten any better since my diagnosis. If anything, they have gotten worse, since I have mobility issues requiring the assistance of an electric scooter, provided by the VA. I've been rated at RII without lung involvement, but since it is stable, no treatment is recommended.

I wish anyone luck in getting their Sarcoidosis SC. Each Veteran who does, only helps the next one afflicted with this Autoimmune disease.

Rockhound Rider :lol: