Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Spine C&p Question

Rate this question

octdevildog

Question

The problems scoliosis of lower back L4 and L5, i have CPS throughout my entire back, i'm rated for upper back problem i have a bone spur on were the neck meets the back inoperable(can not be scraped) i have siadic nerve problems on my right side. Somedays i can not tie my shoes and just wear the ol' slip ons. at night i have pain in my back that makes it impossible to just lay down and sleep i usually take ambien and still wakre up with pain. i have lots of pain walking or hell even standing still. In 2007 the pain was so bad i felt that my back locked up and went to the doc and got a cortizone shot in like 6 different places on my lower back.

My question is (is there anyone who had a spine c&p) whenever i go to c&p's it always seems as if I'm bothering the evaluator, and i feel rushed and leave things out. I want to be takien care of and get my back rated all of this is documented in my medical jacket and have several private doctors opinions about my back issues. I have completely forgot what it feel like to be comfortable and have no pain. Oh and i have purchased 3 different matteress over last couple of years hoping it was my bed, but later being diagnosied with scoliosis by the VA themselves. Sorry this is so long but it is me reaching out for some help and answers. Vets i pray for us all! Thanks

• Answers 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

4 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

None of that stuff matters once you are rated for your spine, unless you add a condition that isn't rated under the general ratings for the spine, or you add another spinal segment that is separately ratable. The only thing the examiner will really be interested in during a exam for increase is the range of motion tests, because the entire rating is based upon that, and that alone. The only exception is if you have several weeks of doctor prescribed bed rest under dx code 5243 IVDS.

90%, TDIU P&T

The problems scoliosis of lower back L4 and L5, i have CPS throughout my entire back, i'm rated for upper back problem i have a bone spur on were the neck meets the back inoperable(can not be scraped) i have siadic nerve problems on my right side. Somedays i can not tie my shoes and just wear the ol' slip ons. at night i have pain in my back that makes it impossible to just lay down and sleep i usually take ambien and still wakre up with pain. i have lots of pain walking or hell even standing still. In 2007 the pain was so bad i felt that my back locked up and went to the doc and got a cortizone shot in like 6 different places on my lower back.

My question is (is there anyone who had a spine c&p) whenever i go to c&p's it always seems as if I'm bothering the evaluator, and i feel rushed and leave things out. I want to be takien care of and get my back rated all of this is documented in my medical jacket and have several private doctors opinions about my back issues. I have completely forgot what it feel like to be comfortable and have no pain. Oh and i have purchased 3 different matteress over last couple of years hoping it was my bed, but later being diagnosied with scoliosis by the VA themselves. Sorry this is so long but it is me reaching out for some help and answers. Vets i pray for us all! Thanks

I feel your pain especially when an approaching front is two states away!

I'll tell you what I do to alleviate it...

#1) Start on a Fish Oil regiment and Move Free w/MSM.

#2) Buy some comfortable walking shoes.

#3) Walk short distances, and increase distance over time.

#4) In bed at night, lay on your stomach, with your arms crossed in front of your chest, with your toes hanging off the end of your bed.

Anchor your upper torso with your elbows, while curling your toes up.

You will start to feel your spine separating. Maintain this position for roughly one minute.

Do this a few times, and then relax and you'll sleep like a baby.

#5) On occasion you will have flair ups due to a bulging disc or a narrowing of your Foramin. Take an Ibruprophine to reduce this swelling.

#6) There is a fairly new technique available for that sort of ailment...Laser Surgery. It's a non evasive procedure available a Laser Spine Institute. GOOGLE: "LSI" for info.

Do you ever "Pop" your back?

This definitely relieves pain.

Try all of these, and you'll feel better in no time.

Good Luck!

Range of motion is the key for the spine, but sounds like you have some damage associated with your sciatic nerve or maybe radiculitis. Take notes to ask the doc questions when you go to your c&p. We all have lapses when we are in with the doc and they do rush through things. Don't let it happen! You can control the examination, by being prepared and showing the doc that you are seriously concerned about the conditions you are suffering from. They don't expect that. They all think we are just out to get disability ratings to receive more money. Bring your spouse or friend to help you remember to ask about all of the problems you are having. If you are not being rated for depression, there is a good chance you are suffering from it. 70% of people with major back problems suffer from depression. Talk to your PCM about it. If you can't get to sleep and live in pain, you should be depressed. Good luck!

s/Mags

s/ Mags

We kept our promise and served honorably. Now it is time for the VA to keep their's!

I am not an attorney or VSO and offer my opinions free of charge. Any advice I provide in my posts is from experiences I have had with the VA or I have the knowledge that others have encoutered. I accept no liability for this advice should you chose to follow it.

I remember my first of three VA spinal exams (two ortho, one neuro). I arrived quite early for my first knee/spinal exam by orthopedic physician. I had recognized the good VA doc from years before. He quietly stood in the corner of the front entrance reading "overtop" a magazine. What he was observing was how the vets walked (gait) into his clinic. Therefore, the exam started before the unaware vet even got inside. Just as the good doc would not like his examination or questions recorded, vets need to be aware of some of "their" methods. Oh yea, the good doc did use a goniometer both spine and knees. Food for thought.