VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Diabetes Ii

Rate this question

vietvet

Question

Hello. If my diabetes has worsened and that I now take pills, must it also be stated in my files that I am on a restricted diet? I would like to file for an increase. Thanks for any comments.

• Answers 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

I’m a 72 years old Vietnam in country Veteran. I got long history  of high cholesterol and trigliceryds, HBP and erectile disfunción. My  glucose level has been in the borderline for many   years. Two weeks ago i was dx with Diabetes Type 2 and the week after suffered a Coronary Acute Symdrome with Coronary Angioplasty. Oviously May diet and daily activities are restricted. My quertion is : What rating i would  get after applying for s/c for the above mentioned conditions. Thank you.

Hello. If my diabetes has worsened and that I now take pills, must it also be stated in my files that I am on a restricted diet? I would like to file for an increase. Thanks for any comments.

7913 Diabetes mellitus Requiring more than one daily injection of insulin, restricted diet, and regulation of activities (avoidance of strenuous occupational and recreational activities) with episodes of ketoacidosis or hypoglycemic reactions requiring at least three hospitalizations per year or weekly visits to a diabetic care provider, plus either progressive loss of weight and strength or complications that would be compensable if separately evaluated 100%

---------------------------------------------------

Requiring insulin, restricted diet, and regulation of activities with episodes of ketoacidosis or hypoglycemic reactions requiring one or two hospitalizations per year or twice a month visits to a diabetic care provider, plus complications that would not be compensable if separately evaluated 60 %

-----------------------------------------------------

Requiring insulin, restricted diet, and regulation of activities 40%

------------------------------------------------------

Requiring insulin and restricted diet, or; oral hypoglycemic agent and restricted diet 20 %

---------------------------------------------------------

Manageable by restricted diet only 10 %

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hope this helps....Ron

Edited by Ron II

Also diabetes can have many complications that are ratable.

I sure hope you dont have any of them but they are foound in the Diabetes Training letter here at hadit.

I have a question. I am 80% disabled and planing to file for TDIU at at the frist of the year. I had to retrire form a good gov. job in March of 06 due to a lot of missed work days due to my disbetes problems. The job was very stressful as I was employed as a underground coal mine inspector. My supervisior sent me a letter by FedX ordering me to be in his office on a monday. I was still under a Dr.s care for my diabetic problems and not able to return to the job. When I arrived at the office we met and he asked what I wanted to do and I said retire. He ask, is that what you want to do and I said no, but I can't do this 5 days a week any more so I retired. My supervisor was a great guy to work for and is disabe veteran so he understood where I was at. My private Dr. has told me he would provide a statement in my favor supporting this. Also I can get a statement from my former supervisor stating the days I was off work due to diabetic problems. Whats my chances of winning and will statments help? Is there anything else I need to do? I have a eye exam tomarrow for retina trouble and they said was it urgent to get it done, so this may help also. Thanks all for any help. I know TDIU is hard to get as it means more money and VA don't want to pay it.

I suggest that you read over the Diabetes Training letter here at hadit.

Make sure that you claim on the TDIU form all complications of diabetes that you have- the retinal problem is as likely as not due to the diabetes.

Also I suggest you show the doctor the IMO format here at hadit so that their opinion will be within a proper criteria for the VA to comprehend it.

A well written IMO that confirms to what the VA wants is much better than an IMO that is not detailed enough for VA purposes.

Any secondary copnditions should be directly associated to you diabetes with a clear medical rationale.

The IMO format here will show what I mean.

Here is the TDIU form- Check Yes to # 18 and apply for SSA when you retire.

Under # 25 I suggest that you refer them to additonal page and state your IMO is enclosed (send them copy of it) and on this page state briefly how your SC diabetes prevents you from being employable which should also be included in the IMO.

TDIU_form.pdf

I'm intrested in reading the Diabetes Training Letter but can't find it. Can you point me in the right direction please?