Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Berta

Rate this question

ertle

Question

got a call from american legion rep that was handling my ptsd an svc connection for bipolar affective dissorder with depression. I have a diagnoses from my dr stating axis 1 depressive disorder nos h/o ptsd. axis 2 defered .axes 3 htn, asthma, gerd. axis 4 moderate. axis 5 gaf at discharge 54. started claim in 04 had a ptsd c/p back in 06 could not give alot on info because

i could not tell time an dates or the person or person. finaly found my company commander he must to had a log sent me every thing from a/z. i have since sent it in. tha a/l rep stated that i have everything except for a nexus i will have to have another c/p for a concreate nexus statement.

• Answers 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

5 answers to this question

ertle,

I am finding that just a plain old nexus may not cut it,

the doc has to support the nexus with medical rationale,

make sure both are done.

jmho,

carlie

Carlie passed away in November 2015 she is missed.

Carlie is right Ertle- the PTSD stressor must have a nexus statement from the doctor that it is related to your service.

GRADUATE ! Nov 2nd 2007 American Military University !

When thousands of Americans faced annihilation in the 1800s Chief

Osceola's response to his people, the Seminoles, was

simply "They(the US Army)have guns, but so do we."

Sameo to us -They (VA) have 38 CFR ,38 USC, and M21-1- but so do we.

Why did you have a PTSD C&P exam if you are bipolar?

Also, if you are bipolar why did your doctor (is he/she a shrink? PCP? VA? Private?) depressive disorder nos?

If you are going for sc for bipolar disorder and/or depression you do not need a "stressor" like you do with PTSD. You simply have to prove that your bipolar disorder and/or depression was first treated while you were on active duty, your symptoms continued (best to prove this by having sought treatment) since you left service and are with you still today, and then a nexus letter stating that the symptoms you have now are connected to the symptoms you had in service.

I agree with Carlie about the nexus statement having to provide a medical rationale for the nexus. In my C&P exam the examiner stated that my symptoms were severe and had continued since my treatment in the military.

Also, if you get an IMO make sure that the shrink reviews your cfile so the VA can't throw out your IMO.

If you don't need to pursue a PTSD claim and instead have bipolar disorder and/or depression you won't have to monkey with proving your stressor.

Please clarify what mental illness you were treated for in service and which one you have now so we can understand how you are approaching your claim.

Keep us posted,

TS Snave

in response to what i am filing for ptsd an b/p with depressive dissorder. i have since filed since i was disch back in 89 no treatment in svc only a documented request that was not adressed. i have a stressor letter from my commander an his saftey ncoic. i was exposed to a horriffic problem on a firing range an six month later i was being process out of scv was no longer fit for military svs having just reuped for 6 yrs then kicked out. the treating diagnoses is what i stated on last post that is what i got from a wk on the 4 floor from treating dr.claim was filed in 04 it is now on some judges desk at the bva awaiting a judgement.