Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

New Claim And Questions

Rate this question

USMC_HVEQ

Question

I have a few questions. I was medically retired in 8/1/07 for ptsd, bilateral shoulder problems for a combined 40% at the time and placed on tdrl. I already had a claim on tinnitus granted so I am 50% VA rated currently. My ptsd claim is on appeal should be 50-70% not 10% which was bogusly given. Anyways not here to discuss that part of my case, jsut giving background. On my PEB hypertension was also noted and has been noted many times in my service medical records. I put all my readings that I could find into an excel spreadsheet with dates and places. I know I have many more, but gives me a baseline for now>

I found 22 readings with an average of 150/93 (170/120 high 1 time and 120/82 low 1 time). I was put on licinopril/HCL back in 04 but never took medicine consistently. I took medicine in 05 spuradically and 06 as well. I went for some medicine recently about 3 months ago, since I needed a DOT card. My initial readings were 160/100 adn 155/105 without medication. I took medication for a recheck for abotu 2 wks and it was 140/89. I have not since had my BP checked. It most likely isnt low anways.

MY question is would I qualify most likely for the 10% criteria of >90 diastolic near contious even though Im goign to be back on meds??

Sleep Apnea

How do you know if you have it? I heard people mention about snoring and such. I have ptsd and since I got it, I snore extremely loud with my mouth open, so I've been told but dont know if I have anythign else wrong with me? just wondering what are the usual signs of sleep apnea and when do you decide to ask VA to check it??

Semper Fidelis

• Answers 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

thanks Pete, i will look into that. I hope I don't have it but if I do then I will be able to deal with it. It's not a huge priority for me at the moment, since Im currently dealing with my DRO review for ptsd, filing for CRSC with Marine Corps and filing a HTN claim. This stuff just seems to over take my mind and that's all I can think about until it is resolved. I thank you again for your advice and all advice of others.

Semper Fidelis

• HadIt.com Elder

I agree with Pete and Ricky, the HTN should be 10 percent with the history you have kept. You did a good job in keeping a record.

It does not matter if you were prescribed meds in service or not. Tne Va looks at the predominant readings over time.

ALso consider the secondary issues that srise from HTN later in life like CAD and Kidney problems.

Good Luck

J

A Veteran is a person who served this country. Treat them with respect.

A Disabled Veteran is a person who served this country and bears the scars of that service regardless of when or where they served.

Treat them with the upmost respect. I do. Rejection is not a sign of failure. Failure is not an option, Medical opinions and evidence wins claims. Trust in others is a virtue but you take the T out of Trust and you are left with Rust so be wise about who you are dealing with.

ok, it's been a while since I've updated this situation. I have gathered 35 different readings of my BP in my medical files, from USMC to VA. my average is 150/92.9

I filed a claim through VONAPP. I'm wondering what should I pass in for this claim/ I'm trying to be proactive. I have already made an excel spreadsheet with readings, dates and places. I was thinking of attaching all the documents with the readings (another copy) all high-lited.

I got a copy of my c-file and it was a mess. I had stuff missing, I had stuff that had no place being in there (sgts course certificate and my usmc contract as well as birth certificate).

the files I had were not complete myself. I made a copy of my military medical records before I got out, but had a few things missing. Now I have that from the c-file. Now my A progress notes, were missing. I had just sent them in too, so confusing. I didnt see my NOD, for a different claim in there either. I have since went and rounded up copies from teh various VA sites. I am going to organize them all into my disability categories. I will also have military files seperated. I'm hoping if I do all this, I will march down to VARO and show them the cluster F, of my file and show how it should be, so they can view the information easily. Like i said, jsut trying to be proactive, since my claim is in no man's land as far as HTN, hypertension. I asked through IRIS, but already ahve something else going on, PTSD stuff and they basically answered that. So now I'm left going what do I need to do? Should I continue with my plan to take all BP readings with high-lite and put that with excel spreadsheet that I made, for quick viewing purposes. I basically am lookign to sppoon feed them the stuff.

let me know what you think

Semper Fidelis

• HadIt.com Elder

Getting your C File in order may be the most important thing that you have done.

Good Luck on your claim.

Veterans deserve real choice for their health care.