Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Tonsil Cancer Granted Disability

Rate this question

Cavman

Question

I`ve been gone a long time Berta. You and others helped me so much back in 2005 & 2006. I filed for PTSD and Agent Orange in 2005. I was awarded 50% PTSD and denied Agent Orange because my tonsil cancer wasn`t on presumptive list. I just found cases that were granted disabilities for tonsil cancer and even found a case that was won a few weeks ago at my VA regional office where a VA Oncologist stated my cancer and herbicide exposure are connected. The VA took it as credible evidence. I know the VA has been considering adding tonsil cancer to the AO list.

I am now getting 100% benefits, but it is due to being IU. I went a year getting 50% for PTSD only and am considering filing for tonsil cancer (ao) disability and 100% payment for that year. What do you think are my chances.

My cancer was Stage 4 tonsil cancer that had spread to lymphnodes. The radiation burned my saliva glands up and my tongue so that I have no saliva or taste for life. Also burned hair off the back of part of my head for life and many mental issues.

I don`t feel they can award it to others and not to others of us that got it.

I was sprayed in Korea in 1969 on the DMZ with 4/7th Cav in 2nd Infantry and 11th Cav in Vietnam/Cambodia 1970.

Edited by Cavman

• Answers 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Posted Images

Do you mean the VA has actually awarded you for the cancer?

"I just found cases that were granted disabilities for tonsil cancer and even found a case that was won a few weeks ago at my VA regional office where a VA Oncologist stated my cancer and herbicide exposure are connected. The VA took it as credible evidence. I know the VA has been considering adding tonsil cancer to the AO list"

Do you mean that your oncologist has made a documented nexus statement for your specific disability?

The award letter will state the EED for this-the earliest effective date and the rating.

This can be NODded of the evidence would warrant a better rating.

Since you get TDIU already-I am not sure how this would play into your comp.

If the cancer meets a 100% disabling SC criteria-I am not sure how they will rate this-

your other SC disabilities could possibly set you up for a potential SMC "S" award.

If this cancer is SCed by VA and caused you to have hospitalizations of 21 days or more-that too might provide additional temp convalescence compensation.

• HadIt.com Elder

I`ve been gone a long time Berta. You and others helped me so much back in 2005 & 2006. I filed for PTSD and Agent Orange in 2005. I was awarded 50% PTSD and denied Agent Orange because my tonsil cancer wasn`t on presumptive list.

"My cancer was Stage 4 tonsil cancer that had spread to lymphnodes. The radiation burned my saliva glands up and my tongue so that I have no saliva or taste for life. Also burned hair off the back of part of my head for life and many mental issues." ]

Caveman,...I too had metastatic upper respiratory cancer that spread to a lymphoid and a tonsil. I was diagnosed with a squamous cell carcinoma. What kind of cancer did you have? Did you get your taste buds back yet? How long ago did you finish your cancer treatments? I have the same side effects as you, .

The radiation also fried my thyroid. How about you? ... Amazing experience

What do you think Berta? Could this be new to the AO list? I can't find it. I was just waiting around for the VA denial letter.

post-4811-1230752014_thumb.jpg

Edited by Commander Bob 92-93

I was diagnosed with Stage 4 Squamous Cell Carcinoma in the right tonsil and had spread to nodes in fall of 2005. Finished my treatment Christmas Eve 2005. I still have almost no taste or saliva.

A couple nights ago I went to VA.GOV and looked at AO appeals for 2008 and immediately found 3 cases that in the last few weeks have been won by Nam vets with this cancer. Check out the case in the Detroit VARO that was decided. Look at the part where VA doctor says herbicides can cause this cancer. I know this cancer has been being studied and considered to be added to AO presumptive list.

I am 100%, but I was 50% for one year when my AO claim was denied. I want the difference in money from 50 to 100% for that year, plus secondary disabilities added to total disability for no taste or saliva. I may one day sue to be paid from the first day they sprayed us.

Cavman

• HadIt.com Elder
I`ve been gone a long time Berta. You and others helped me so much back in 2005 & 2006. I filed for PTSD and Agent Orange in 2005. I was awarded 50% PTSD and denied Agent Orange because my tonsil cancer wasn`t on presumptive list.

Has the cancer ever came back. when was your last PET scan?

Did you file a NOD for the AO cancer within one year from the date of your original denial of the AO?

• HadIt.com Elder
I was diagnosed with Stage 4 Squamous Cell Carcinoma in the right tonsil and had spread to nodes in fall of 2005 I may one day sue to be paid from the first day they sprayed us.

Cavman

Who would you sue?

I`ve had 3 pet scans since Jan 06...Last one was 8 weeks ago...I`m also checked every 6 weeks now...still clean, but as you know, we never know...

I was past my year, but I read in denial that we can still appeal if we find evidence that proves decision was wrong. Even if you are 100% already you need this disability granted to get government life insurance because no one will sell us a policy now. Also, if we die of this cancer there will be benefits paid after we are gone.

I originally filed for agent orange disability in 1972 and was denied before it was really known about. I remember when I went to the VA they wanted to take a piece of meat from my butt to test for it. Strange, but true.

With the maximum radiation we had to take my doc says if it comes back I can`t take radiation again. That should be paid for.

Please read those decisions.

Cavman