Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

I Could Just Strangle Somebody

Rate this question

stillhere

Question

I would appreciate someone with the ability to explain the results of my hearing test going into the service and coming out.

Pre induction test R 250 - 500=15, 1,000=15, 2,000=10, 3,000 -,4000=30

L 250- 500=10, 1,000=15, 2,000=15, 3,000- 4,000=10

separation test R 250- 500=15, 1,000=15,2,000=15, 3,000-, 4,000=15

L 250- 500=15, 1,000=15,2,000=15, 3,000-, 4,000=15

Do you see what I see?

• Answers 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Stillhere:

Yes, I know what you mean. I am in my late 50's..and my hearing deteriorates by about 3-5% per year also..so I am going deaf, too. Like you, I want to get my VA claim settled before I go deaf.

So far I have worked on it since 2002..seven years.

I have worn hearing aids since about 1995, but, according to a course I took (callled "Living with hearing loss"), the average Hard of hearing (HOH) person struggles with hearing loss for 10 years before getting hearing aids. So, my guess is that you had symptoms of hearing loss about 10 years before 1984...or about 1974.

Even though I have only been 40% successful (I am rated 0% for hearing loss, 30% for depression, and 10% for tinnitus), I will still offer this advice for you that I have learned over the past 7 years of dealing with the VA:

1. ASK your audiologist to write in your report these words: "Veterans hearing loss most likely due to noise exposure during military service"...if you indeed feel that is the case.

2. DO NOT lie, ever, and dont even try to "fake" that your hearing loss is worse than it is. At least part of the reason I was awarded benefits by the BVA is that they stated to the effect that the Veterans statements were fully consistent with the evidence of record. That is, the BVA was not with me in Boot camp. they did not hear the jet engine noise, etc..etc, but I printed a googlemap of my barracks, showing its close proximity to the San Diego airport and highlighted it in yellow. I also pointed out my audiologists opinion, "most likely due to military service".

3. However, DO tell the truths that are "favorable to the Veteran". Look up regulations. Browse Hadit. Read all you can. In about 2002, the VA published a manual on hearing loss which relates

hearing loss, depression, and unemployability. I am having a little trouble finding this report, the VA may well have removed it, since it works well with Veterans claims.

4. The 7p's beat the 3 D's from the VA. "Delay, Deny, and Discredit the Veteran," are the VA's motto, but ours needs to be: "Proper Preperation Prevents Poor Performance, then Persist, and aPPEAL"

Thank you for serving our country and good luck to you.

Well I am going back to my VA audiologist and show them my exit separation work and my induction paper work and get them to right an opinion for me also. I think if they will do it that this will help in the long run. My appeal is still in it's infancy (Nov, 08) so I should have pleny of time to gather some more facts and also the buddy letters. I don't know what else I can do at this point my main course of action is to get the VA to throw out that saparation exam as bogus. Then I might have a shot at getting this SC.

Also a lawyer is not out of the question yet, what do you guys think?

Wish me luck!

Edited by stillhere

Well I am going back to my VA audiologist and show them my exit separation work and my induction paper work and get them to right an opinion for me also. I think if they will do it that this will help in the long run. My appeal is still in it's infancy (Nov, 08) so I should have pleny of time to gather some more facts and also the buddy letters. I don't know what else I can do at this point my main course of action is to get the VA to throw out that saparation exam as bogus. Then I might have a shot at getting this SC.

Also a lawyer is not out of the question yet, what do you guys think?

Wish me luck!

Opinions please [-]

Ok I would appreciate some opinions please and I promise no flaming from my end! Below is the letter from my outside audiologist I am hoping to get the VA to disallow the bogus hearing test in my file. Thanks, Stillhere

This 59 year old Veteran was seen on Dec. 6th, 2009 for a hearing evaluation in our Virginia office. He served in the US Army from 1969-1971 where he was exposed to loud levels noise. A base line audiogram conducted by the military dated May 29, 1968 indicates that he had normal hearing in his right ear at 500, 1,000,2,000Hz with a moderate loss at 4,000Hz (55dB). His left ear revealed normal hearing. He claims that he acquired a hearing loss while in service . However, upon leaving the military, a repeat audiogram was conducted dated Oct.14,1971 indicating normal thresholds. I question the validity of that exam due to the fact that typically a hearing loss of this nature does not improve. (This audiogram showed an improvement of 40dB at 4,000 Hz.)

Due to the fact that the validity of the exit hearing examination on Oct. 14th is questioned it is impossible to determine if his noise exposure while in the military did or did not result in hearing loss.

Number one question if I send this in will my claim get reopened?

Opinions please [-]

Ok I would appreciate some opinions please and I promise no flaming from my end! Below is the letter from my outside audiologist I am hoping to get the VA to disallow the bogus hearing test in my file. Thanks, Stillhere

This 59 year old Veteran was seen on Dec. 6th, 2009 for a hearing evaluation in our Virginia office. He served in the US Army from 1969-1971 where he was exposed to loud levels noise.

Has the Audiologist reviewed your SMR's ?

A base line audiogram conducted by the military dated May 29, 1968 indicates that he had normal hearing in his right ear at 500, 1,000,2,000Hz with a moderate loss at 4,000Hz (55dB). His left ear revealed normal hearing. He claims that he acquired a hearing loss while in service .

This is a subjective statement and would only pertain to history

However, upon leaving the military, a repeat audiogram was conducted dated Oct.14,1971 indicating normal thresholds. I question the validity of that exam due to the fact that typically a hearing loss of this nature does not improve. (This audiogram showed an improvement of 40dB at 4,000 Hz.)

Due to the fact that the validity of the exit hearing examination on Oct. 14th is questioned it is impossible to determine if his noise exposure while in the military did or did not result in hearing loss.

If this is already of record, it would be cumulative evidence, not new and material.

jmho,

carlie

Carlie passed away in November 2015 she is missed.

This 59 year old Veteran was seen on Dec. 6th, 2009 for a hearing evaluation in our Virginia office. He served in the US Army from 1969-1971 where he was exposed to loud levels noise.

Has the Audiologist reviewed your SMR's ?

A base line audiogram conducted by the military dated May 29, 1968 indicates that he had normal hearing in his right ear at 500, 1,000,2,000Hz with a moderate loss at 4,000Hz (55dB). His left ear revealed normal hearing. He claims that he acquired a hearing loss while in service .

This is a subjective statement and would only pertain to history

However, upon leaving the military, a repeat audiogram was conducted dated Oct.14,1971 indicating normal thresholds. I question the validity of that exam due to the fact that typically a hearing loss of this nature does not improve. (This audiogram showed an improvement of 40dB at 4,000 Hz.)

If this is already of record, it would be cumulative evidence, not new and material.

jmho,

carlie

still,

I feel if your Audiology test at separation showed normal hearing - it will continue to stand that way with VA - even if you didn't have or don't remember an exam, it will be difficult to get past that hurdle.

I feel this new opinion from a current Audiologist will be called "speculation" by VA.

I feel VA will say this is not new and material evidence.

Where the new Audiologist states,

1) "He served in the US Army from 1969-1971 where he was exposed to loud levels noise."

Where did this information come from - what records do the Audiologist refer to inorder to support this statement - what medical rationale is shown to support the Audiologist

statement that you were exposed to loud noise levels ?

2) "Due to the fact that the validity of the exit hearing examination on Oct. 14th is questioned

(This is one thing VA will say is speculation.)

it is impossible to determine if his noise exposure while in the military did or did not result in hearing loss."

This statement in no way supports a claim for hearing loss.

jmho,

carlie

Carlie passed away in November 2015 she is missed.

still,

I feel if your Audiology test at separation showed normal hearing - it will continue to stand that way with VA - even if you didn't have or don't remember an exam, it will be difficult to get past that hurdle.

I feel this new opinion from a current Audiologist will be called "speculation" by VA.

I feel VA will say this is not new and material evidence.

Where the new Audiologist states,

1) "He served in the US Army from 1969-1971 where he was exposed to loud levels noise."

Where did this information come from - what records do the Audiologist refer to inorder to support this statement - what medical rationale is shown to support the Audiologist

statement that you were exposed to loud noise levels ?

2) "Due to the fact that the validity of the exit hearing examination on Oct. 14th is questioned

(This is one thing VA will say is speculation.)

it is impossible to determine if his noise exposure while in the military did or did not result in hearing loss."

This statement in no way supports a claim for hearing loss.

jmho,

carlie

The paragragh above clearly states the improvement is in no way possible. So the exit eam is fraud.

And it is not that I do not remember I know for a fact that I did not have one!

Also my point still stands this is new and material evidence so they have to open the claim.

Edited by stillhere