VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Nod Question Ask For Dro Or Traditional Appeal?

Rate this question

dtclou

Question

I filed NOD for 10% rating & lots of non s/c for my husband. We got letter today asking if we want to have a Decision Review Officer assigned or follow the traditional appeal process.

What is the best to go with?

Also - on NOD he added a claim for his ears/hearing. Is it acceptable to add it in the NOD letter or do we need to file a seperate formal claim?

thanks,

dtclou

Edited by dtclou

• Answers 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

5 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

I say try an get it solved at a DRO hearing, you want to see them face to face, or at the very least have them do what is called a De Novo Review which means another rating officer has to look at it and see if they see something the last rater didn't, but I suggest the DRO HEARING and then if you get no satisfaction appeal it to the BVA, what they call the traditional appeal method.

I agree with Mike- go for the DRO review- and the additional claim-

I would refer to it in the NOD as "I am attaching an additional claim" and then send it as a separate issue.

I am doing exactly the same thing right now. I submitted my NOD with a DRO requested. Then along the way I submitted a new claim. What happened is they opened the NOD looked at it and then set it aside as I had a "New" claim. A new claim takes precedence over the NOD. I was SC for teh new calim and now they are going back to do the NOD & DRO. The long and short of it is, I received the new claim findings in about 7 weeks from the date of submission!! The NOD will take longer and I don't know how long longer is. BUT when I do find out I will let ya know.

Thanks to you all for your help. I will request review by DRO.

We are in a small town about 8+ hrs. from our VARO. If a face to face meeting is required (or we request one) How does that work? Do we have to travel there or do they set up meetings close to were we live?

• HadIt.com Elder

I have had three DRO Hearing/Reviews over the years and have been able to resolve my claims. Best to see the DRO face to face. There is horse trading involved but that can work to your advantage.