VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Va Form 26-4555

Rate this question

grent

Question

im thinking of buying a house my rating is schedelar 100% currently smc issue pending

question i have va form 26 4555 housing grant i guess i just fill this out right?

question should i put a direct deposit slip in

do they send me the cash

how much do i get ?

goes to loan guranty at my local VARO

how much do i get or ask for??

my frind in viet nam sez he used it to do a home improvement fix walk but made the faucet in bath and kitchen lower

cuz hes in wheel chair can we do that?? how much do you get

• Answers 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

5 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

Jos, Grent has tagged onto your posting so it is going to get confusing. I would suggest that you re-do on a brand new posting. Short answer is the veteran has the disability, not the spouse, so no you won't get any disability benefits. But there are some things possible to obtain, like DIC or survivor's pension. As for assist equipment, not likely available to you from the VA, but local veteran service organizations, like VFW or DAV may be able to help 

To Jos-

"does a  spouse of a deceased veteran allowed any disability benefits.  I am in need of a stair glide/stairclimber since I am unable to climb stairs anymore."

Do you get DIC? Or do you receive a Wartime VA pension based on your husband's service?

In some cases a surviving spouse can be eligible for Aid and Attendance-I dont know about getting something like a stair glider but if you are a a senior citizen there might be an Office of the Aged in your county who could direct you  in getting one perhps with a lower cost than een on TV stair gliders.

The Aid and Attendance criteria is often difficult to fit into- for qualified widows/widowers as well as service connected veterans.

That criteria is within this article.

And Often Vet reps and VSOs are not aware of the fact that DIC recipients can apply for this benefit.

It is often focused on survivors ,receiving a VA wartime pension.

https://www.veteransaidbenefit.org/what-is-the-aid-and-attendance-or-housebound-allowance-with-DIC.htm

I am a Gold Star Wife and they have had some Zoom meetings on A & A for survivors. who , as GSWs, that means they get DIC  with an offset to SBP and probably many who qualify for A $ A were discouraged by vet reps to even apply- because the focus has been for years ( even in AARP magazine, on wartime pension survivors., leaving out DIC survivors.)

If a DIC survivor qualifies for A & A, the VA adds an amount to their DIC check, and that amount could be used for payments on a stair glider, but as you can see from the link, it involves a medical criteria that is very difficult to attain.

My dead husband ,over 200% SC ,could feed himself and button his shirts ,so he was not eligible for A & A but was eligible for SMC S.

He could shower with accomodations and dress himself, but he bent over in a store once after his stroke to read a label on something and here I thought he had put on his light blue slacks , that morning ,but written over the back of his "slacks" ,quite visible to anyone seeing his rear end, it said "Property of the Veterans Administration"-

( He had put on the pajamas from the VAMC that he was discharged in.)

He also could not be left alone, in the house too long, because, I was a livestock farmer and came out of the barn one day to hear our smoke detectors going off. He had heated up some soup and walked away from the kitchen because he forgot he was cooking something. He had PTSD and dementia, and multiple brain infarctions that caused memory loss etc etc.

But the VA did not find him to be in the A and A criteria.

This thread is getting convoluted-

I will start a new Topic for  JOS and it might be helpful to others here.

im thinking of buying a house my rating is schedelar 100% currently smc issue pending

question i have va form 26 4555 housing grant i guess i just fill this out right?

question should i put a direct deposit slip in

do they send me the cash

how much do i get ?

goes to loan guranty at my local VARO

how much do i get or ask for??

my frind in viet nam sez he used it to do a home improvement fix walk but made the faucet in bath and kitchen lower

cuz hes in wheel chair can we do that?? how much do you get

hello yes im posting some more info i do not have the house yet im interested in buying a home i saw however i do not have it yet currently i rent

can i still apply for the housing grant. if not then i buy the home can i then put in for it how much do i get paid how do i get paid i use a wheel chair left arm is paralized i have cervical collar use walker and have urinary problems

let me give you a what if suppose i put in for my va home loan which i never used can i put in the housing grant at the same time? can use the housing grant once or twice for other homes you may buy or is this a one shot deal thank you for your help i appreciate your time grent