Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Curiosity Regard Va 1-800 # Calls

Rate this question

cowgirl

Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Just wonderin, called 1800 today and validation information changed, as usual, ssan,name,b-date,service,discharge date,...exxtra information required 'in addtition" to that..spouse name&ssan, kiddos, names&b-dates, last va payment amount..Yikes.

Anyone else have the same experience?

cg'up2009

my claim's rated, in authorizations now.(not sure what that means, getting closer?) :rolleyes:

For my children, my God sent husband and my Hadit family of veterans, I carry on.

God Bless A m e r i c a, Her Veterans and their Families!

• Answers 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

C.G,

Yes this happened to me and I was shocked for the guy at the toll free number was asking all kinds of questions

he had never ask before.

Within a few days my award and money was in my mailbox.

Hope this helps to answer your question.

Betty

• HadIt.com Elder

Whew Betty, glad I wasn't the only one! Yes, thanks for helping me feel sorta 'normal'! Smiles! Ok, kids tell me I talk to myself sometimes (really I talk to the person on the other end of the phone, the computer when it gets quirky or other drivers, oops!

Answering so many questions about va payments, family and me made me wonder about that person (salary?, veteran?, kids in preschool?, still living with mom to save money on babysitters?...). Honestly, a really nice neutral professional clerk that didnt give away the farm at all.(no $ info).

If there is a new policy of asking questions fine, but a little advance warning helps customers have needed details ready. If this was 'gift horse' confirmation, no argument from me. Just not so sure, yet.

Thanks for inspiring me and sharing your beautiful quilts

Cg'up2009!

C.G,

Yes this happened to me and I was shocked for the guy at the toll free number was asking all kinds of questions

he had never ask before.

Within a few days my award and money was in my mailbox.

Hope this helps to answer your question.

Betty

For my children, my God sent husband and my Hadit family of veterans, I carry on.

God Bless A m e r i c a, Her Veterans and their Families!

Cowgirl

It has happened to me before..where the VA rep. asked for my last payment amount. IMHO, this is probably a good thing. REASON: This rep is sitting in front of a computer with all our data..EXTREMELY PRIVATE medical histories, social security numbers, addresses..stuff an Identity Thief WOULD LOVE TO HAVE.

So, how does the VA rep know you didnt find a VA letter in the trash..maybe a couple other letters..and BINGO..the identity thief "forwards" your checks to a "new account". That is, I WANT the VA to make darn certain that it is me, and not an identity theft who "found" my wallet and a few other documents related to me.

Apart from "dumpster diver" identity thieves, there are the new generation of identity thieves..hackers. I studied Information Security..and just a few tidbits:

Did you know that the author of the book I was required to read says that there have been more than one theft EXCEEDING ONE HUNDRED MILLION DOLLARS that has not been reported? Reason: You are the CEO of a large company, and hackers broke into your computer and stole 100,000 of your customers visa card numbers. To fix it, you pay each of the 100,000 customers "weird" credit card staments. You know, if you report it to the police, your shareholders will know, and ask how you could as the CEO let a 17year old boy steal $100 million of their money? Do you think you will "keep" your CEO job..after letting a teen age hacker outsmart your entire Information Security team? Worse, customers will find out. Would you want to worry if you give your credit card to the cashier knowing that others who did so lost $100 million? Result: This theft CANNOT BE REPORTED, but is often hidden in accounting mumbo jumbo: "Company had a one time $100 million restructure expenditure, and expects this restructure to benefit shareholders with future profit increases"

So they ask you questions..to determine its you. An identity thief may have your address and SSN..but they probably dont know when you went into the military and when you got out AND what was the amount of your last VA payment.

The more they ask..the more likely it is to be you, and to "trip up" an identity thief trying to abscound with your benefits.

JMHO, but identity theft is real, and I cant afford for one of them to be getting my benefits, so I WANT THEM to ask me real personal questions that only I would know...to make sure.

Edited by broncovet

• HadIt.com Elder
Whew Betty, glad I wasn't the only one! Yes, thanks for helping me feel sorta 'normal'! Smiles! Ok, kids tell me I talk to myself sometimes (really I talk to the person on the other end of the phone, the computer when it gets quirky or other drivers, oops!

Answering so many questions about va payments, family and me made me wonder about that person (salary?, veteran?, kids in preschool?, still living with mom to save money on babysitters?...). Honestly, a really nice neutral professional clerk that didnt give away the farm at all.(no $ info).

If there is a new policy of asking questions fine, but a little advance warning helps customers have needed details ready. If this was 'gift horse' confirmation, no argument from me. Just not so sure, yet.

Thanks for inspiring me and sharing your beautiful quilts

Cg'up2009!

C.G.

I do believe the person is looking at your decision. I felt strange too when the guy at the 800 number starting his strange questions, but sure enought, mine was on its' way.

The beautiful antique crazy quilt has been framed and it hangs in my living room.

It has all the lovely colors with the embroidery.

I show quilts and country things often, as I enjoy them so much and

love to share them.

The best to you, for I do look for your success story anytime.

Betty