• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Ptsd Imo Letter

Rate this question

SFCTRUCKDRIVER

Question

ok,

hope this is the right way to do this.

for the more knowledgable of you on here, please give your opinion of this letter:

To whom it may concern,

This letter is written at the request of Mr..... who has been under treatment at this clinic since.....

Mr..... is being treated for PTSD and panic disorder with agoraphobia. This has been related to his services and combat experiences. He is currently being prescribed medication as well as pyschotherapy to help with these anxiety and mood issues.

At this point in the treatment, Mr... medications are being adjusted as this severe anxiety is limiting and interferes with his daily functioning.

call em at this number.....

The Dr is a licensed Pyschiatrist and has all those letters besides his name LOL

well,

is this a good or bad letter?

thanks

" The enemy controls everything, the roads, the bombs, they even own when and where they will attack. But the second they make the mistake to attack, we own them" ME, reference to insurgents in Iraq

• Answers 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Yes SPCTruckdriver has excellent evidence.

I sure didn't mean to suggest that PTSD comes only from combat- any traumatic event,such as personal assaults and many non combat situations- could all lead to PTSD.

Just how much trauma is required to activate PTSD anyway. I was diagnosed with it but was never in action (duty in Cold War 1974-81). So never bothered to try to follow up on anything. Besides, I don't like to take those darn psyche drugs! I'm crazy enough with all the pain meds I'm on already.

Someone did take a shot at me and another track park guard one time. Surely that alone wouldn't do it. Besides, the only record I have of that is the letter I wrote home to Mom about it. Even therein I'm vague as to what actually happened as to whether or not someone was actually shooting at us. Tried to blame the blow against my back as static since the radio wasn't damaged. (that's what I wrote anyway. I seem to remember it a little differently)

Another silly question. In those days there were things that... didn't happen. When something was all over, they were debriefed, signed security forms and told "this never happened." Of course there are no records for the individuals caught in those events. ... What would a person who experienced something like that do?

SPC Truckdriver- yes-I honor his service everyday and try to honor the service of you all -by being here at hadit-

a perfect world would be one in which veterans did not ever have to fight for their deserved compensation.

The Marines were ,at beginning of the war)3rd MARDIV (MAF Amphibious Forces )and Adm Zumwalt made them Ist MARDIV- Ops Rolling Thunder etc-(I think maybe I should check that for date )

This is an interested bit of USMC Vietnam history-

"By the end of March 1965, the 9th MEB numbered nearly 5,000 Marines at Da Nang, including two infantry battalions, two helicopter squadrons, and supporting units.

Notwithstanding the Marine buildup, the U.S. involvement in Vietnam remained limited. According to the landing directive: "The U.S. Marine force will not, repeat will not, engage in day to day actions against the Viet Cong."(4) These constrictive conditions lasted for only a brief period. In April, the President agreed to reinforce and to permit the Marines to engage Communist insurgents. By early May 1965, the Marines had established two additional enclaves, one in Chu Lai, 57 miles south of, and at Phu Bai, 30 miles north of Da Nang. "

http://www.vietnam.ttu.edu/vietnamcenter/e...pers/marwar.htm

By June 1965 Rod's division landed on the beach. He said they all envisioned being shot at immediately just like the Normandy invasion. The beaches were completely quite and they were assaulted only by the stench of rotting vegetation as they advanced to Danang Air BAse.But the build up and engagements increased significantly at that point along with the use and impact of Agent Orange.

Jayq

"Just how much trauma is required to activate PTSD anyway"

It is not so much what amount of trauma occurred-it is how it affects you.

What might be a significant stressor for one vet -might not affect another vet in same circumstances.

A good friend of mine was shot twice in Vietnam. He does not feel these were stressors at all.His main stressor was a casualty of a small Vietnamese child.Another vet I know lost his leg in Vietnam (Navy Seal).

He too exhibited a horrific event involving a child's death in Nam and would dream of this all the time and said it was the worst thing that ever happened to him in Vietnam.

Many earthquake victims have PTSD. Even if a truck goes by their house and they feel a rumble from the noise, they often duck for cover.But that might not bother the other quake victims at all.

If someone took a shot at you in service-this is a life threatening event that anyone could continuously be concerned about.

But the VA would have to take this in the context of all other information and continuity of symptoms etc.

The things that "didnt happen"--- The JSRRC will declassify plenty if the vet needs this info for VA claims purposes.

My daughter was Top Secret Intell USAF and was told this -as her file is classified.

A former member here (now deceased Alex Humphrey vets lawyer) also made this point.

Then again many vets are still having problems with many aspects of obtaining DOD classified documents.

But it can sure be done.

GRADUATE ! Nov 2nd 2007 American Military University !

When thousands of Americans faced annihilation in the 1800s Chief

Osceola's response to his people, the Seminoles, was

simply "They(the US Army)have guns, but so do we."

Sameo to us -They (VA) have 38 CFR ,38 USC, and M21-1- but so do we.

This is all good information that you have gotten on here. Trauma happens in a variety of ways, not just just combat or personal trauma. Someone earlier (sorry, long thread) said that earthquakes could be a stressor...TRUE. Witnessing shipwrecks, plane crashes, aftermaths of hurricanes (Katrina for one), and many other things could also be stressors of PTSD. They do have to be confirmed unless they are spelled straight out (usually by certain medals).

One thing that I have scanned for on this thread that seems to be absent....Military Personnel Records. Your 201 file will be ordered any time we cannot concede a stressor right up front. What is in that file may make or break your claim altogether. We see and learn a lot about a veterans military career by reviewing the personnel file, and raters generally won't rate a claim without it unless the stressor is conceded. If the personnel file is unavailable from the service department, JSRRC will still attempt to verify, but generally only if you have given a 90 day timeframe on the questionairre.

Many times the STRs (SMRs) won't have information in them that relates to stressful events. They are reviewed, but a claim can be done without the information contained within.

Berta, Meddac, thanks for the info. Concerning the didn't happens, I'll pass the info where needed. It's likely pointless. He can't remember exactly which year it was. Seems to recall everything else though.

As for my little to do, I'll keep it in consideration. I do tend to keep a watchful, on-guard attitude at all times. My wife has remarked on it. But I do not 'start at shadows.' If anything, it's probably a positive influence. I've lived longer than some folks I knew.

Thanks.

• HadIt.com Elder
MikeR, I am interested in what type testing you are referring to?

SFC, Putting all the concrete items posted here together in a checklist could help you and the doc.

Additional: I dont have a recent copy of VA exam for PTSD, but thats probably a great guide to cover the bases with as well.

Best to ya,

Cg'up2009!

(p.s. gotta tell ya, sometimes I laugh to keep from crying LOL!)

Cowgirl,

My IMO came with a Millon Clinical Multiaxial Inventory -III, he discusses where I am on the DSM-IV Axis I through V.

The letter was 2 pages.

Mike