Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

How Long Does A Claim Stay At Raitting Board

Rate this question

oldman273

Question

Hey all I got a question I filled for Unemployability in septemeber had my two CMP exams in October of this year. I was urprised at the speed it sounded great. My question is any of you got an idea on how long it takes for my case to decided on? I am 80% total with the break down 60% 30% 10% 10% 20% and 3 with 0% but hey who is counting LOL? Any ideas I am thinking it is just around the corner but my last employer notified me the letter the VA would send out was the same letter like 3 times. My last employer just kept filling it out and sending it back. I am thinking that is what is holding it up but it has been at the board for over 2 months. Just curious as always thanks. I hate to call so I use you guys as a sounding board. Have a good day........

• Answers 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Hey all I got a question I filled for Unemployability in septemeber had my two CMP exams in October of this year. I was urprised at the speed it sounded great. My question is any of you got an idea on how long it takes for my case to decided on? I am 80% total with the break down 60% 30% 10% 10% 20% and 3 with 0% but hey who is counting LOL? Any ideas I am thinking it is just around the corner but my last employer notified me the letter the VA would send out was the same letter like 3 times. My last employer just kept filling it out and sending it back. I am thinking that is what is holding it up but it has been at the board for over 2 months. Just curious as always thanks. I hate to call so I use you guys as a sounding board. Have a good day........

When the c-folder is in RTR status, it can either be with the VSR, on the RVSR digit table, or at the RVSR's station. If the c-file is at the rater's station, it depends on other claims in which he must complete. Generally, the agency does not want the claim at the station longer than 30 days; however, it can always be handed to another rater to rate and the 30 days begin anew. Sometimes a manager may stop the rater and assigned the individual to another crisis assignment: EP 190, EP 600, or GWOT claims. Additionally, it depends on how the rater perceives the case. If it is relatively easy, more likely it will be done fairly soon. Thus, assuming the rater has performed a final RD, the c-folder goes to Post for promulgation. Once there, it can be entered immediately or lay around for one or two months.

George

Is it the same with the BVA raters?

I don't know, sorry.

Is it the same with the BVA raters?

The BVA consist of rating teams also. They are comprised of the hearing officer/rater/judge (depending on what you what to call him or her) and a group of staff attorneys (the young guys). Once the BVA calls for your file the hearing officer reviews the claim at hand and then conducts the hearing.

After the hearing the transcript and any new evidence and or arguments are given to one of the staff attorneys who do a complete review of the file sent to them and then compare the file evidence, transcript and new evidencee to the appropriate laws and regulations. They then write a decision which is reviewed by the hearing officer and signed. This process normally takes 6-12 months in most cases.

This is not a set in gold reply as each situation is different. As an example they may decide to get an IMO at which point the file is sent to an "expert" in the field of the disability which could keep you waiting for quite some time etc.........

• HadIt.com Elder

Oldman,

3 to 6 months is average. But like Carlie said, it could take 18 months or more. I waited more than 2 years before getting a decision. After 18 months, It would speed it along if you file a "writ of mandamus".

After you recieve a decision, it could be several more months before the money reaches your account if found favorable. Nothing works fast with the VA.

If you have a sence of humor, you might go out and buy one of those eight ball toys that give you answers to question you ask of it. I could well imagine the answers you get back about how long it takes for your claim to be rated and/or whether you will win or not, or how long it will take for your first benefit check to arrive, should you win, would be about as accurate as any answer you get on these matters.

You can never predict how long the VA will take, there are just to many variables, the most major of these is dependant on how good and how pro Veteran the person or persons deciding your claim are. We all hope and feel our claims should be decided within a years time, but history has proven in most claims, this is not the case.

The best you can do is keep tabs on your claim, whether it is calling the 1-800 number or Emailing IRIS you inquirey, or checking with your service officer. Pay as much of a hands on approach to your claim as possible and try to be patient without loosing touch at where your claim is, in the process, keeping in mind, even if you feel you have provided all the evidence they need, keep looking for and trying to develop any old or new evidence to support your claim further, should the VA give you an unfavorable decision that needs to be appealed.

All the answers here have been good answers based on everyones knowledge and experience. My own experience had my claim approved after 30 plus years and several deniles based on insufficient evidence and/or nothing new and material, but the last claim took only about nine months, start to finish, that I finally won, which is a whole lot better than most claim's processing time.

So, just keep a pro active role and keep on top of it as best you can and checking every week or two isn't at all out of the question, but if they say it just went to the rater, then you might be a little patient and give them about four weeks before you start checking with them once or twice a week.

I wish you all the best for a speedy decision, one in your favor, and rated properly for the correct percentage due you.

Rockhound Rider B)

p.s. my current claim is also at the rating stage and I am probably as anscious as you are for a quick decision and another one in the win column.

Are you a paranoid schizophrenic

if the ones you think are out to

get you, really are?