VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

How Do We Get A New Representative

Rate this question

MsMel

Question

My husband just got out of the hospital. He had a heart attack requiring intervention. He, also, developed a GI bleed, which caused him to have 4 units of blood transfused. He is, already, 100% disabled.

My problem is, we filed a claim through the American Legion and we got very little help from the rep; so, we dropped him. We have an appeal in on a claim. The VA says that we can't get another rep until this claim is complete.

What do we do?

Thanks

B)

• Answers 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

My husband just got out of the hospital. He had a heart attack requiring intervention. He, also, developed a GI bleed, which caused him to have 4 units of blood transfused. He is, already, 100% disabled.

My problem is, we filed a claim through the American Legion and we got very little help from the rep; so, we dropped him. We have an appeal in on a claim. The VA says that we can't get another rep until this claim is complete.

What do we do?

Thanks

B)

Greetings,

I will be praying for him. I also had a American Legion SO rep and I droppped him about a month ago. The SO was useless. I onlyhad the AM SO for only 2 months and then I went back to doing everything myself, and it appears I will continue. I rceived 100% T&P without a SO rep. I have never heard of the VA not allowing a veteran to switch to a different SO during a claim. That sounds very strange. I will hope other veterans will read your writing and be able to answer all of your questions concerning the VA saying you can't switch SO reps. My advice to you is to get every bit of your husbands records from the VAMC by using the freedom of information act by going to medical records release and signing the VA form.

There is an elder on Hadit named BERTA who has a wealth of information. I am sure there are many on hadit as well it is just she has helped me out with good words of wisdom. Don't give up and do not buy the lie that because you do not have an SO that you cannot win claims. God bless you.

• HadIt.com Elder

I originally had a American Legion SO who had my file and case so messed up I revoked his POA, and my wife and I did everything for a year, then we met a really decent DAV rep and signed a new POA for him and the DAV has been handling the claim ever since, the VARO has not refused to deal with them, so I don't know about any rule, just find a new rep and give them a POA.

• HadIt.com Elder

Bound4

I had trouble getting other VSO's to represent me when I wanted to dump the DAV. My claim was on appeal and the VFW and AL would not represent me. It all worked out since I did all the work anyway. They don't want to poach on each other's territory is my opinion. A gentlemen's agreement among incompetents.

Greetings,

I will be praying for him. I also had a American Legion SO rep and I droppped him about a month ago. The SO was useless. I onlyhad the AM SO for only 2 months and then I went back to doing everything myself, and it appears I will continue. I rceived 100% T&P without a SO rep. I have never heard of the VA not allowing a veteran to switch to a different SO during a claim. That sounds very strange. I will hope other veterans will read your writing and be able to answer all of your questions concerning the VA saying you can't switch SO reps. My advice to you is to get every bit of your husbands records from the VAMC by using the freedom of information act by going to medical records release and signing the VA form.

There is an elder on Hadit named BERTA who has a wealth of information. I am sure there are many on hadit as well it is just she has helped me out with good words of wisdom. Don't give up and do not buy the lie that because you do not have an SO that you cannot win claims. God bless you.

You signes a POA with the American legion, not with the REP. I would write Legion HQ and ask them to appoint another rep to the claim.

Guest Namvet6567

There is no rule, Mike - just a bunch of agreeing lazy folking VSO's!!! Sent you 2 emails thru this site. Have you received them? Flip

Bound4

I had trouble getting other VSO's to represent me when I wanted to dump the DAV. My claim was on appeal and the VFW and AL would not represent me. It all worked out since I did all the work anyway. They don't want to poach on each other's territory is my opinion. A gentlemen's agreement among incompetents.

Greetings,

You touch on a very true issues, "That you did all the work anyway". It really comes down to that. I am not knowcking all SOs, however it has been my expirence that I (we) veterans must stand up and be our own advocate. I just wanted to encourage the kind lady who started this thread on the issues with her husband. I have gotten some really bad advice from 2 former AM-SOs. I don't really know whos side they are on, however every time I tried calling they were never in their offices and would not return my calls (does this sound like this person has my best interest in mind?). I revolked their POA (I was doing everything anyway).

Take care and we must never give up!