Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 
Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Really? I'm Posting Here? Wow!

Rate this topic

timetowinarace

Thanks Tbird for the informative site and providing the most open opportunity for Veterans to discuss their issues without cencorship. And Thanks to ALL Hadit members. Those that have been around for awhile and are more valuable than the total of any Veteran Service Organization and the newcomers asking questions and sharing their stories causes me to learn a great deal.

I got my award letter yesterday. I was granted the 100% for Cognative Disorder, Depression, Residuals of Head Injury. Also, they assigned my effective date as May '03, my original file date for the head injury. I was sure I would have to CUE the EED as the original claim was closed. Not often they see their mistakes on their own but this was obvious. That is very good news indeed.

However, they are not sending my benifit payments. They have proposed to find me not competent for VA purposes. This is very irritating but not really a surprize. Mostly because my claim was expited because our house is in forclosure. Now I have a choice. Take months for evidence accumulation, C&P exam and hearing and lose the house. Or concede for now and make my wife fiduciary so we can keep the house. Since I AM competent, I have agreed to be concidered incompetent to keep the house. As soon as they send a check I'll apply for competency. It will take longer but we won't be living in our car.

And they denied P&T. This does not make sense to me. Brain damage does not go away. They consider me not competent to handle my own affairs. Even if I improve, it's not likely to drop me under the 100% rating.

And they dropped my 20% rating for undiagnosed chronic fatigue. Three mental health pro's and one private doc say fatigue is seperate from depresion (causing it). One PA C&P examiner said depression is causing INCREASED fatigue.

Anyway, I could probably go on all day. Thanks to all!

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm curious to how they found you incompetant. If you were able to beat them at the compensation game.

you must still have enough brain power to figure out who you owe money to and how to go about paying them. Plus you seem to understand enough to operate a computor, you could have someone help you set up your bills of a bill pay program so most of the more difficult stuff is already in the program and all you have to do is put in the payment amount each month and send and your done.

Anyway, it seems like they couldn't win one way, they are going to get back at you in another and make you work to get your money.

Great to here that you won, even if for the time, the VA seems to have the last laugh, at least for awhile.

best wishes for getting your compantacy back.

Jim S. B)

I'm a felon so the gun issue is moot. Otherwise I would contest it right off.

They haven't found me not competent yet. They have proposed I am not competent. I included this statement in a letter I sent them asking to name my wife as fiduciary for now. "My wife and I do not have time to debate the issue. The extra time to consider competency would surely result in the loss of our house. Withholding payment for this issue at this time is causing more hardship than the intended purpose in the first place. I have no choice, competent or not, but to defer this issue for a more appropriate time. Please decide this issue accordingly."

I stated that I had no new evidence to provide.

Actually, what more do they need to prove financial competence? ha ha. I know enough to know what I have to do to keep my home!

Time

• HadIt.com Elder

Time

I think denying P&T is becoming SOP. You will get it eventually but in the meantime the VA can save some money, maybe.