VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Might Be Old News But Interesting

Rate this question

Steppenwolf

Question

• Answers 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

5 answers to this question

It's nice to know that more Lawyers are stepping up and getting involved with Veteran's claims and I see nothing wrong with Lawyers having to take a test to make sure they know their stuff. I am concerned with whether or not, that lawyers who take a claim, not be paid unless the win the claim for the Veteran and even then are limited to only a percentage of what the Veteran may be paid for back pay. Also that the Lawyers be kept from trying to contract with the Veteran for a higher amount than the law allows.

Even though the process is supposed to be non adversarial, the VA has Lawyers, where as most Veterans usually can not afford one. Plus, as I see it, most lawyers would probably hold out for Veterans who have claims that would appear to pay out big retro payments rather than a claim that only paid a small one, so the Veteran is still left with the shorter stick in the claims process, fighting the VA, who has many resources not at the disposal of the Veteran.

Sorry to be ragging on the subject, but as yet, there are no local lawyers in my area who practice in Veteran Claims, so I am all for them, the more there are, the more likely one will start up practice in my area and Veterans will get a better ability to fight the VA at their own level.

Rockhound Rider :rolleyes:

It's nice to know that more Lawyers are stepping up and getting involved with Veteran's claims and I see nothing wrong with Lawyers having to take a test to make sure they know their stuff. I am concerned with whether or not, that lawyers who take a claim, not be paid unless the win the claim for the Veteran and even then are limited to only a percentage of what the Veteran may be paid for back pay. Also that the Lawyers be kept from trying to contract with the Veteran for a higher amount than the law allows.

Even though the process is supposed to be non adversarial, the VA has Lawyers, where as most Veterans usually can not afford one. Plus, as I see it, most lawyers would probably hold out for Veterans who have claims that would appear to pay out big retro payments rather than a claim that only paid a small one, so the Veteran is still left with the shorter stick in the claims process, fighting the VA, who has many resources not at the disposal of the Veteran.

Sorry to be ragging on the subject, but as yet, there are no local lawyers in my area who practice in Veteran Claims, so I am all for them, the more there are, the more likely one will start up practice in my area and Veterans will get a better ability to fight the VA at their own level.

You are not alone when it comes to finding and attorney in your area. However if what i read yesterday on the website of a firm in California is true it is not necessary to have your counsel in the same state.

"

4) Q: Can The Veterans Law Group assist veterans if we aren't located near them or near their local VA Regional Office?

A: Yes. In dealing with the VA, all evidence and argument is submitted in written form. Once we accept a case, the Regional Office sends us an entire copy of the claims file, so we are able to make a case in support of benefits by using the claims file and VA case law. If after reviewing the claims file, we feel as though there is not enough medical evidence to support a claim for benefits, we will advance the cost of a independent medical evaluation in close proximity to the veteran's location. "

That said there is another firm in DC that has a similar claim except that they say being a DC is an advantage because they do not have to send for records they can access them with a signature from you. If i find that firm i'll post their link.

This is the link for the CA firm. i do not know if they are good or not but i found them while searching.

Yes, there are lots of things to be concerned about when hiring an attorney. If i understand this correctly we veterans are treated differently than other American's. The laws are different. Someone would have to explain how this serves us. Although these "laws" have been upheld and in effect for a long time maybe the laws themself need to be challenged.

Look for my post today about rallying the troops to attack this crime together as a united group instead of a bunch of individuals who all have different representation. i'll find my own link and come back and post it here.

http://www.veteranslawyers.com/

From the above site.

9. Do I have to retain an attorney in Washington, D.C.?

Answer:
No, you may be represented by anyone who is admitted to practice before the Court, wherever they are located. However, having an attorney in Washington, D.C. has certain logistical advantages. For example, we do not need to wait for the VA to make a copy of your claims file and send it to us. We can access it directly since the VA is located in Washington, D.C. Also, we can hand deliver any filings to the Court or the VA and eliminate the risk of mail getting lost.