VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

100% Tdiu And Nursing Home Care

Rate this question

Guest Trick

Question

My father is 100% TDIU and may be headed to a nursing home. I belive he would be going to a State of Michigan Veterans facility.

How will this affect his VA disability income? Does the nursing get this money? What about my mother's portion as a depended...will she continue to receive a portion of his disability payment?

Thanks

...Trick

• Answers 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

5 answers to this question

My Dad is in the Jacobetti nursing home.They take his diability for room and board or what ever it is called.I think that money and ss go before they nail your private monies.

Stop in at the home and talk to the people there they are great.

den

Guest Namvet6567

You might try having his VA comp apportioned to your mother, prior to him entering the nursing home. She needs to show that she needs the money to live on.

• HadIt.com Elder

I thought if you went to a VA nursing home the VA picked up the tab and left your compensation alone. If they are going to take you compensation and SSA why even go there? The point is that you have to be a severely disabled vet to even get into a VA nursing home.

Trick,

The key is if your father is rated at least 70 percent or if the nursing home care is needed due to a service connected disability. If it is one of the preceeding then I would suggest you talk to a social worker at the VAMC closest to you and let them know your father needs a nursing home that accepts VA contracts. I know for a fact the soldiers and sailors home in Indiana does not accept VA contracts. Sounds strange I know. If your father gets into a VA contract nursing home then he will be able to keep his VA compensation.

Hope this helps

A very close friend of mine is in the VAMC's TCU ward, I think it stands for temporary care unit. My friend is their for turminal cancer, so the likelyhood of him being sent to a nursing home is pretty slim, at least that is what I am told.

But I have seen several of the patients being sent to other places, even if they are short term solutions, and if you are not service connected, as long as you are stabel and do not need around the clock care, then your stay is cut short. The gossup is that they are doing away with the VA supported nursing homes and finding homes that will take their VA comp and SSDI/SSI for payment and moving them into these type homes.

If I knew for sure they are closing VA homes, I will be on call for any protests, this just doesn't seem right.

Jim S. ;)