VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Appealing A Soc. Sec. Decision

Rate this question

Magoo_Mr.

Question

• HadIt.com Elder

What is the best way to appeal a Soc. Sec. decision ??

Can you get ALL of the Soc. Sec. records that Soc. Sec. used to make their decision .... so you can better pinpoint your appeal letter ???

I asked the Soc. Sec and they said NO ... did someone say that you can get these records via FOIA ???

Is there a special form to use for a FOIA request ??

I did miss some "time statutes" for filing ... but I think I have grounds to appeal ... maybe .. ???

"Denial Letter" just received from Soc. Sec .. and they considered me 100% Disabled ... but only back to mid 1998.

I have a good chance to win this battle .... if I can get my ducks in a row.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

... Magoo .. aka .. Bill ... ;)

• Answers 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

MaGoo:

My suggestion is to get a SS Lawyer to do it and put the ducks in a row. Yes you will give up some dollars but you will get the benefits.

I think that they are limited as to how much they can take from back pay anyway.

Good Luck

Guest VetWife Advocate

What is the best way to appeal a Soc. Sec. decision ??

Can you get ALL of the Soc. Sec. records that Soc. Sec. used to make their decision .... so you can better pinpoint your appeal letter ???

I asked the Soc. Sec and they said NO ... did someone say that you can get these records via FOIA ???

Is there a special form to use for a FOIA request ??

I did miss some "time statutes" for filing ... but I think I have grounds to appeal ... maybe .. ???

"Denial Letter" just received from Soc. Sec .. and they considered me 100% Disabled ... but only back to mid 1998.

I have a good chance to win this battle .... if I can get my ducks in a row.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I am interested also, Bill. Joe requested his from SS like Berta said to do...they said they could not give it to him directly; they could give it to his doctor?

VA used that as part of their decision making and I would like to see what they used for his NOD.

Let me know when you know~~ Good luck on this. Where did you find this new info; you had spoiken about it several yrs ago, almost!! Had you talked with an attorney, found a previous case? They don't have a site to review former cases before ALJ, do they?

Thanks, Brenda

Hey Mr. Magoo-The SSA has tightened up procedures and an appeal is damn hard for an individual to handle on his own. The best way to win your appeal is to get a lawyer that handles ONLY SS cases. Almost all lawyers do it as a "sideline" but find one that handles only SS for the best results.

• HadIt.com Elder

magoo use the SS lawyer he can only get 25% or a max of 5300 dollars and it is well worth the money for you not to have the headaches of dealing with rules and regs you can't possibly understand, most SS lawyers have a hard time keeping up with their changes they only get paid if you do Mike

Using a SS Attorney is definately the way to go on an appeal, but you still need to be pro-active with your claim to make sure that all time limits are made to pertect your EED. Also it has been known that SS attorneys will drag your claim out, so that their check is more, more than what the actual work is worth. It makes no difference to them that you have to wait, but it is in their interest to take as long as they can, so they make as much or as near the limit they are allowed to charge.

What I am saying is, don't just dump the claim in their lap and think they are going to get it done as quickly as possible, stay on top of it.

Jim S. ;)

• HadIt.com Elder

Thanks a lot fellows ..

I really do appreciate the advice on letting a SS Lawyer do it.

I have a ton of things to say here .. but I am so wound up .. my brain is not spinning up fast enough to make a good informative post.

Having a bit of anxiety today ... and need to turn off the TV and only listen to the radio again.

Thanks again ...

Edited by Magoo_Mr.