Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Sdn 509 Par 16j

Rate this question

Guest William Goss

Question

Guest William Goss

After threats and counter threats the USAF had me resign my comission after 4 years of enlisted time and 2 years officer--they had me sign a paper that I would not pursue them in the newspapers or legally.

Unknown to me they inserted an SDN 509 Par 16j on my DD214--I haven't been able to find it anywhere--I am convinced that it caused me a lot of trouble in the last 40 years.

• Answers 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Good job getting that posted, William. What exactly is your question? Do you want to pursue them legally now or are you trying to locate and get a copy of that particular document?

--Susan

Guest William Goss
Good job getting that posted, William.  What exactly is your question?  Do you want to pursue them legally now or are you trying to locate and get a copy of that particular document?

--Susan

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Susan, I am trying to find out what the SDN code means--is there anyone who has a description of the code?

Also, I am in the midst of a 3 and 1/2 year battle with the VA--the latest development is that they lost my SSA decision and will not accept the copy that I got from the R.O. when I first applied for a VA Claim.

Bill

• HadIt.com Elder

I would write the Staff Judge Advocate of the Air Force and ask them to explain it, given that you agreed not to publicly pursue it in the papers, I would presume it has something they have decided is related to either National Security Acts or would somehow embarass the service.

That SPN code means- Resignation -in lieu of elimination because of substandard or unsatisfactory performance of duty.

It certainly would hinder anyone's chances in the employment field.

The Board for Correction of Military records has the power to change erroneous DD 214s and codes.

I suggest that you first get your complete Service records-

I am sure the SF 180 is here some where -that is the form you need and you can also apply for the records on line at NARA-

http://www.archives.gov/

On the SF 180 app I suggest you request not only your SMRs (service medical records) but also all personnel files and disciplinary reports.

Then , use the DD 149 form (I will attach here) to start the process of BCMR correction-

HOWEVER , there is a 3 year Statute of Limits on BCMR corrections-

3 years after your discovery of the error on your DD 214.

Also, with the DD 149 I suggest that you present your argument- put your service number on each page, and state clearly

(when you get all of your personnel records) by referring to each specific record as an Exhibit ( Use numbers or alphabet letters)

that would combat the finding of unsatisfactory or substandard performance.

I would highlight any positive awards or decorations you received.

Also I would request from the BCMR copies of any advisory opinions the BCMR acquires regarding your case as well as any memorandum or other reports. State this as a request under the Privacy/Freedom of Information Act 5, USC 552.

Anyone that the BCMR deems as competent can serve as your counsel on this-that would be any attorney or even a veteran's accredited service officer.You might want to find that person before you file the DD 149 so that there name appears on it also (Box 7).

If three years have passed, you can still file the DD 149 and supporting evidence if you have a reasonable statement as to why the 3 years passed by without your filing the DD 149 sooner.It is very possible that the BCMR would still consider your application for correction.

Here is the DD 149 that you need. next post-I guess the fast reply button does not allow attachments ?????

Here is the DD 149 attached- obviously they do not give you enough space for a supporting argument- on this form refer them to your attached statement and put your service number, name and address, on it.

Need to add- I see you replied- OK put your C file number on these forms- not your service number-I didnt know you had a c file number already.

dd0149.pdf

Edited by Berta

Guest William Goss
Good job getting that posted, William.  What exactly is your question?  Do you want to pursue them legally now or are you trying to locate and get a copy of that particular document?

--Susan

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't think that I can pursue them legally, though the thought of newspapers goes through my head, but I want to know what the SDN 509 Par 16j means.

I believe I can use that to prove part of my claim in nexus.

bill Goss