Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Hypertension

Rate this topic

Guest Morgan

Hi,

I am trying to help a vet who has hypertension. He's on several medications that about half the time keeps the systolic below 160--the criteria for the 10% rating (stage 2 hypertension). He has kept a monthly log of his blood pressure throughout the day and just a couple of hours after his medication, and especially as it approaches the time to take his medications, the BP goes as high as 170-190. The doctors have stated he has uncontrollable hypertension, but he takes his meds as directed and many times when he has been checked at the outpatient clinic, his BP is below 160 systolic. Does the RO rater consider the medication that can only manages his BP to between 145-150 systolic (stage 1 hypertension but probably 0%)? His hypertension began in service.

Carrie

Edited by Morgan

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• HadIt.com Elder

Going to be a tough case but he needs to get control of his pressure quickly. He is headed towards a heart attack, a stroke or burn out his kidneys.

Veterans deserve real choice for their health care.

A blood pressure medication that works for one person may not work the same for someone else. The doctor needs to keep changing his meds until he finds one that works for him.

My husband has had HBP for years. He was finally put on a med that seemed to control his HBP better than anything else he had been put on. But, as usual, the VA changed its formulatory drug list and this med was taken off the list and replaced with another. We were told it was esentially the same drug and worked the same way. Didn't happen that way. Since that time, his blood pressure has consistently been high each time it is taken. But it seems it takes an act of Congress to get a drug that is not on the VA list.

HBP is/can be a very bad medical problem with anyone with it, if it is not gotten under control.

mssoup

I've had HP since the late 70's. During my entire 20 years of active duty it was never controlled with any of the meds I was given. After retirement it was still not controlled. I went to the VA clinic for five years and as you know Doctors never seem to be there long, the doctors told me to continue taking the same meds that didn't work. I got feed up and wrote the hospital director and guess what? Within two weeks I was given meds that work and still work. During my last pain clinic visit my pressure was 100/78. Almost scared me to death.

My pressure averaged 120/160. I was given 20%. Even with meds that work it should stay at 20%.

Try and bring your situation to the attention of someone who can help. It seems with all the meds they do carry, there should be a med or combination of meds that works. Those BP readings are stroke or heart attack readings. I'm probably not telling you anything you don't already know but PLEASE, even if you have to go into the hospital or clinic and show your natural azz, do something. I wish you the best and I will keep you in my prayers.

Wayne

I've had HP since the late 70's. During my entire 20 years of active duty it was never controlled with any of the meds I was given. After retirement it was still not controlled. I went to the VA clinic for five years and as you know Doctors never seem to be there long, the doctors told me to continue taking the same meds that didn't work. I got feed up and wrote the hospital director and guess what? Within two weeks I was given meds that work and still work. During my last pain clinic visit my pressure was 100/78. Almost scared me to death.

My pressure averaged 120/160. I was given 20%. Even with meds that work it should stay at 20%.

Try and bring your situation to the attention of someone who can help. It seems with all the meds they do carry, there should be a med or combination of meds that works. Those BP readings are stroke or heart attack readings. I'm probably not telling you anything you don't already know but PLEASE, even if you have to go into the hospital or clinic and show your natural azz, do something. I wish you the best and I will keep you in my prayers.

Wayne

I don't know how I managed to post this to the wrong place. I don't know how to move it.

I appreciate everyone's comments. You are so right this veteran is in trouble with his blood pressure and he really needs this service-connected ASAP. Anything could happen. A few years after service discharge, he was put on a table and not allowed to move until they gave him some type of emergency treatment to bring it down. It's too bad (as far as his claim) that his records don't show "predominantly 160 systolic." He usually had just taken his medication just before his appointment. Many times it was in the high 150s, but not 160. I just don't know how to help him prove that his BP is above 160 more often than it is below 160. I am very concerned for him. Hypertension is the forerunner of several other major conditions.

For sure, if he didn't take his medication before a C&P exam, he would qualify. But who would want to take that chance! No one in a right mind. Do you think if would help if he took his chart of BP readings to the examiner and let him see it, along with the readings on VA record that were above 160, plus the statement his doctors made that his BP is uncontrollable? Or would the examiner even look at it?

Edited by Morgan

Morgan, Isolated systolic HTN that is predominatly is a ten percent rating.

The top line is too high at 160. If there are several readings and the majority are 160 or higher then it should suceed.

Systolic Hypertension is the pressure when your heart pumps blood. Diastolic is the pressure at rest.

Does this Vet take a water pill every day?

All he needs is to show a c@P examiner the records to show a nexus.

What are his bottom readings?