Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Gulf War Illness

Rate this question

mike/3/8/cav

Question

Hello everyone,

Got some questions. I went through IRIS in last November and requested an exam for the registery. In December I recieved a packet to fill out with all the forms and a return envelope to send back to the Phoenix address. I sent the forms and additional papers of links from this site about Gulf War Illnesses. I went through IRIS again to aks for the status and got a reply in about a week stating that I was to call and schedule my exam.

Today I called the 800# and talked to a service rep who said that my claim for increase for Headaches, r/l/arm condition, neck condition, bronchitis and eye condition were at the rating decision office. I never put a request in for increase. Wht would it get sent to a rating decision board? I have'nt even been to the exam yet. I have been to my initial exam last year and was given 0%sc for headaches, but no rating at all on the other conditions listed above.

My current compensation is 50%sc PTSD, 10%sc each knee and 10%sc l/ankle for a total service connection of 70%. Are the VA automatically sending my Registery packet to a rating board without another exam? I hope I'm not confusing anybody. It just is so confusing to me.

• Answers 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Mike, I did the registry immediately after I got out in July 1994. Without getting into my claims and never being examined for them back then, I have been told repeatedly over the past 1 1/2 years that "the Gulf War registry is just a registry. Filling that out did not count as filing a claim nor does it go into your C-file as it was simply a registry to be used for research'.

If they took your registry as a request for comp. and are gonna give you some, good deal! I tried for 6 months last year to track down my 'questionare" through the Los Angeles VAMC and all they were able to find was the bloodwork. If they were able to find the interview part I remember doing at the hospital there I think I would have had a pretty good shot at getting a earlier effective date for my PTSD since I remember talking about anger issues with the guy that interviewed me in 1994. Being 3000 miles away from where I did the paperwork, etc for it doesn't help me, but like I said if they wanna give you cash for it take it. Plus I would assume that they are admitting that you now have issues due to your Gulf service which opens them up to other claims.

Mike, I did the registry immediately after I got out in July 1994. Without getting into my claims and never being examined for them back then, I have been told repeatedly over the past 1 1/2 years that "the Gulf War registry is just a registry. Filling that out did not count as filing a claim nor does it go into your C-file as it was simply a registry to be used for research'.

If they took your registry as a request for comp. and are gonna give you some, good deal! I tried for 6 months last year to track down my 'questionare" through the Los Angeles VAMC and all they were able to find was the bloodwork. If they were able to find the interview part I remember doing at the hospital there I think I would have had a pretty good shot at getting a earlier effective date for my PTSD since I remember talking about anger issues with the guy that interviewed me in 1994. Being 3000 miles away from where I did the paperwork, etc for it doesn't help me, but like I said if they wanna give you cash for it take it. Plus I would assume that they are admitting that you now have issues due to your Gulf service which opens them up to other claims.

Thanks for the reply Quint. Maybe they don't want to give me another exam? It sounds strange that they would just send the info I sent them for the registery exam to a rating board. I don't think VA does that. If they do I think it would be a first. Although when I had my regular neuro exam they gave me the 0%sc for headaches and noting for the other problems, not even a 0%.

Not sure.

Normally registry information does not get to VARO. I'm not clear as to the full scope of IRIS, I've never used it but it appears that your requests through there may have alerted VARO to possible infered claims. Again, I don't know.

I do know VARO can open infered claims on your behalf if they have information of a possible SC condition.

Not sure.

Normally registry information does not get to VARO. I'm not clear as to the full scope of IRIS, I've never used it but it appears that your requests through there may have alerted VARO to possible infered claims. Again, I don't know.

I do know VARO can open infered claims on your behalf if they have information of a possible SC condition.

Thanks time, It just sounds strange to me. From everything I have read here on hadit, things should'nt happen this well for vets through the VA system, it should be a lot more difficult. I guess I can only wait and see what happens now. I don't think I can be more active in asking them for additional in fo on this.

Like I said, if they offer it, take it.

I assumed back in 1994 that the registry was something that they would keep up with. they didn't. they did send me every copy of "The Gulf War review" for the past 15 years, but when I asked why that made it to me along with GI Bill checks but my denials from 1994 didn't, etc they did the "that's a seperate part of the VA. We don't exchange info" thing.

The only good thing (in my opinion of course) to come out of OIF/OEF is that VA might finally be held to the standards the law requires.

• HadIt.com Elder

I took the AO exam back in 2000 and they found three conditions that the doctor said were AO related. It says in the exam that the exam does not represent a claim for benefits. I think you have to claim any benefit for a registry condition. I know I had to do that for every condition, and I had to show the nexus for secondary conditions via a medical report other than the AO exam. The VA says they do inferred claims but, in reality, it does not happen often if at all.