VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Appeal Or What?

Rate this question

deyjason

Question

I recently recieved a decision from the rating board and disagreed with one issue. My IBS was service connected, but at 0%. The decision said that I had loose stool daily accompanied by abdominal distress. However, for 10% I would have to have frequent episodes of bowel disturbance with abdominal distress. What is their definition of frequent?

I filled out a NOD and asked for a DRO. Is this what I should have done? What happens next? How long does it take for somehting like this?

Thanks in advance your help and responses.

• Answers 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

5 answers to this question

Dey, What did your C & P say? Did it say that your IBS was mild, moderate or severe, that is what you need. Did it say that your IBS was constant. Are you taking in meds. like Dicyclomine? Do you have gas, constipation, stomach cramps when you eat, nausea, vomiting or bloating. Here are the ratings:

7319 Irritable colon syndrome (spastic colitis, mucous colitis, etc.):Severe; diarrhea, or alternating diarrhea and constipation, with more or less constant abdominal distress30Moderate; frequent episodes of bowel disturbance with abdominal distress10Mild; disturbances of bowel function with occasional episodes of abdominal distress

filing a NOD is the first step in an appeal, the DRO will review the decision and increase you or continue your 0%. Then it goes to the BVA, the DRO can take a while and the BVA is even longer about 2 years or so. May be wrong but DRO may be a few months to a year. Sorry for the bad news.

Pete9920

Dey, What did your C & P say? Did it say that your IBS was mild, moderate or severe, that is what you need. Did it say that your IBS was constant. Are you taking in meds. like Dicyclomine? Do you have gas, constipation, stomach cramps when you eat, nausea, vomiting or bloating. Here are the ratings:

7319 Irritable colon syndrome (spastic colitis, mucous colitis, etc.):Severe; diarrhea, or alternating diarrhea and constipation, with more or less constant abdominal distress30Moderate; frequent episodes of bowel disturbance with abdominal distress10Mild; disturbances of bowel function with occasional episodes of abdominal distress

filing a NOD is the first step in an appeal, the DRO will review the decision and increase you or continue your 0%. Then it goes to the BVA, the DRO can take a while and the BVA is even longer about 2 years or so. May be wrong but DRO may be a few months to a year. Sorry for the bad news.

Pete9920

Currently taken Imodium, yes I have gas and cramping as well. Normally occurs 30 minutes to 1 hour after eating. So I get diarrhea 2-4 times a day. The C&P service connected the IBS but C&P Doctor did not classify it as mild, moderate, or severe, just IBS.

How does your doctor classify it? when was the last time you were treated? Do you think your doctor might classify it in you records at the VAMC. If so try to get him/her to classify it and send it in as evidence before the DRO review and make a decision.

Pete992

Dey... Sorry about the rating... The DRO decision for you is averaging about 90 days, I believe. Some of the DRO's are fairly liberal in increasing ratings, but some of them are pretty tight. 50/50 mix up there.

BVA can take quite a bit longer. Have you thought about a Travel Board Hearing? Those wait times are fairly long as well, but can be much shorter than a BVA hearing most times.

All I can tell you right now is that if you continueto disagree, do not mess around and forget your Form 9. It is a bit later in this process, but it is the biggest key to making an Appeal official.

Hope things go well for you.